The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:11:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fed UP with broadcast stations on 40M  (Read 12373 times)
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« on: March 24, 2012, 07:13:55 AM »

I thought 40M had been returned by international agreement to the Amateur community. Yesterday I put the homebrew rig on after hearing a AM converstaion which I thougt I might join. If no opening presented itself I had decided to CQ till I had success. That was late afternoon. Almost before the 6l6EH tubes in the HB linear had reached full glow the broadcasters started pouring in. Russia and Aisa to be specific plus some survivor wierdos. After about an hour of hunting I gave up in disgust. 40m has always been a favourite band of mine and still is. Just sometime I would like to be able to use it.
Don VE3LYX
 Lips sealed

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »

only 7100-7200 kc was given back to us with no broadcasters. 7200-7300 kc is still shared with broadcasting.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 09:41:51 AM »

Don.  There is typically some off and on AM activity during the day around 7290/7295 until the broadcast stations make things unbearable.

If you can let us know in advance what day and roughly what time/frequency you'll be on we can look for you.  I will if I'm available.

Sam

--- Post No Bills ---
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 11:59:25 AM »

There are still a few renegade broadcasters in 7100-7200, but usually don't cause too much of a problem, until they begin to frequency hop all over the band and jam each other with noise generators that take up far more bandwidth than the stations being jammed.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
VE3LYX

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »

Ok Sam,
Thanks. I am going to try today at 4 pm on 7295 + or -. VE6PG is going to listen as well. I dont have a lot of power but it is all homebrew and I love it. I am running a small linear with a pair of parallel 6l6s snorting at 750 volts B+ and tickling it with a two tube screen modulated exciter of a couple watts or so. . I am running a carbon mic circuit with a WWII bomber mic so it wont be broadcast quality but should be easily readable with the narrow audio reponse. I am living in the past (And enjoying it immensely)(comes with my first name maybe?)
Don VE3LYX

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:14:54 PM »

Why don't you and Tim try somewhere between 7100-7125?  You guys don't have those silly sub-band restrictions like we do here in the Lower 48.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
VE3LYX

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 02:49:49 PM »

We do on Sunday afternoon but sometimes in busy hours there is a lot of CW there. Some of the AWA folks like that area (Just above - 110 )for the old Hartleys and TNTs etc. I talk to Tim every morning on 80M. He is probably tired of me by now. I would like to try 7295 today. I am not a band hog anyway. Dont have a lot to say. Just want to see if it works there. Tim and I have already had a Qso with it on 7120 . If I am in there it will be a less then 5 minute deal. I am more interested in if it can be heard there then I have a lot of old buzzard stuff to say.
Started out with a hunk of plywood and a 1920s radio case and and idea. Now I have a working radio. My own take on how to do it. No schematic, not copied except concepts I picked up from others and from experience. Its a Transceiver even. I get a kick from that. Occasionally I like to talk to you fellas too. Hope that is OK. Been at this in some form (VE3LYX) for 30+ years. Just the AM is new since when I got my ticket it was fast disappearing. (virtually gone by then) I have been into radio as far back as before you got your ticket and have melted through a 100lbs or so of rosin core.
Also did a lot of 20M SSB till I got this rig going. Never had anyone suggest i stay out of any part of 20M. Not sure what to think of this. Anyway I have caught the AM bug bad! Have two more under constuction. No it is not a Colllins or RCA broadcast unit worth $$$$$$ but it is mine, it is AM and it does glow in the dark.
Don Ve3LYX

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »

I'm calling on 7.160 AM presently... anyone around?

AMI#1684
ve6pg

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »

..don...certainly not tired of you! last night i was on 7290 with dirk, wa2cyt and frank k3sqp...this was around 8pm..i herd them on, fired-up and joined in...there appears a time in the evenings that there are no broadcast stations...give a listen...put the dx60 on there..

..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
VE3LYX

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 08:29:28 AM »

Tim
I managed to get on with "san quenten prison" (Frank) and the group yesterday for a minute or too. They had moved down to 7290 from '95 for a couple of minutes and were kind enuf to let my in at least for an ID. When their QRMer moved off their original freq they went back but my rock bound couldnt go there. Anyway they did hear me. I need to boost the audio power a bit more. Maybe 10 or 15%. If I raise my voise to a public speaking voice (I do a lot of that around this part of Ontario) and talk directly into the mic's top I am much better heard. I think you are using a small audio amp on your rig. I might try that first before digging into the transmitter proper. I have one here and it also has tone control which I might try to use to eliminate the deep lows in my voice. Also worked on the 40m section of the dual band inverted Vee. I now have both sections happy SWR wise. The DX60B tunes up funny on 40M. Nothing real bad but not as it should be I think. Need a little side-step to load right. Shouldnt be so I am thinking.
Don VE3LYX

ve6pg

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »

don..my dx60 tunes differently on 40 as well...ya, i'm using a small mike preamp...it helps both the viking, and the dx60...these things are cheap...

..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015