The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:02:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heathkit HW-101 to AM  (Read 13177 times)
CE 3 LQH
« on: May 31, 2005, 02:38:02 PM »

OK, I have two HW-101's and one works and the other doesnt.  Id rather keep the one that does as is.  But if I can get the other one working how wexactly would i go about converting it to AM?  I was reading some posts earlier but non were specific enough that I got a clear picture?  I will use it to drive an old HA-10 AMplifier that is currently being fixed up.

Thanks!  es 73's
Bryce Salmi
KB1LQC
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 02:47:28 PM »

Chris, KD2XA outlined the mods here: http://amfone.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4723

73 John

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2005, 04:13:17 PM »

I've gotta say: Chris, KD2XA's HotWater 101 makes quite a good account of itself on AM. I've heard it on the air and thought the audio was terrific!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
KL7JBB
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:49:41 AM »

Okay, so it's almost 7 years later.  Has anyone else had success with Chris' procedure (linked above)?  The interwebs have no other mention of using the HW-101 on AM (well, I suppose because it doesn't seem to make any sense!)

Jim Branch
KL7JBB

Yeah, this is what I had in mind!

* 2772073_370.jpg (21.37 KB, 369x238 - viewed 668 times.)
KA3EKH

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »

Isn't that like putting a saddle on a cow? Maybe you can play around with removing the filters or strapping across them but what have you got? Maybe 20 watts of AM when you're done this is assuming you can get AM from the internal junk without using external high level modulation and from what I recall there is no AM receive mode on the 101? But then again I have wasted way more time on projects that make less sense. Come to think of it if I had an old HW lying around that might be a fun project.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 11:47:29 AM »

Chris, KD2XA outlined the mods here: http://amfone.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4723

73 John

Hi John,
I can't seem to open the link.  I get a 404 error.  Chris does a great job with his mod's and I am sure it works quite well.  It would be nice to analyze the changes he is suggesting.
Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KC2TAU

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 12:44:06 PM »

Here you are!

http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/hw100plusmods.htm
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 02:20:56 PM »

Isn't that like putting a saddle on a cow? Maybe you can play around with removing the filters or strapping across them but what have you got? Maybe 20 watts of AM when you're done this is assuming you can get AM from the internal junk without using external high level modulation and from what I recall there is no AM receive mode on the 101? But then again I have wasted way more time on projects that make less sense. Come to think of it if I had an old HW lying around that might be a fun project.

Yes, the mod pretty much assumes another receiver will be used and the 101 will only be used as a transmitter. Of course for a hundred bux you can hang a Softrock across the I.F. and it's back in business with FB performance.

Probably good for a 20 - 25 watt carrier. Having heard this rig many times I can say it's more effective than a lot of 100 watt class rigs I've heard. That is due to Chris' use of compression.

Also works well to drive an AMplifier. Or was that ampliFIRE?

Same treatment works for other doorstop slopbucket rigs like the Tempo One.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015