The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 01:50:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: softrock, hardrock, software.......  (Read 22360 times)
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »

Bruce... This is what I see;
PE0FKO-USB Driver 1.2.5.0
ExtIO-Si570.dll
HDSDR
hdsdr_eula
HDSDR_install
hdsdr_keyboard shortcuts
HDSDR_Release notes
Libusb0.dll
unis000.dat
uninis000

The only difference is:

I do not have the pe0fko file.. OR  libusb0.dll in the program folder

( libusb0.dll is installed as part of the WinUSB package)

I DO have:

Delete settings.cmd
WinRadPX.dll

And of course my "HDSDR_install.exe"  is not in the folder, that's still in the download folder.

So.. I don't know.. if windows is complaining about a driver then you have to straighten that out FIRST.

By the way....
the frequncy you're listening to is likely :
14.080mhz  or
7.040mhz  or
3.520 mhz

Because the default startup frequency of the Si670 is 56.320mhz

/4 = 14.080
/8=  7.040
/16 = 3.520

Not sure which division the ensemble you have is set up to use

KL7OF

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 06:09:03 PM »

Bruce..I missed the "delete settings cmd"when I typed...I have it in the file..and after reloading HDSDR..I now have the WinRadPx.dll...still no joy....
KL7OF

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2012, 01:04:25 PM »

I have windows 7 telling me there is no driver for this device when I plug in the softrock USB..I go to device manager and try to install the Pe0fko driver and windoze won't let me..says It has already installed the proper driver for ths device...dog chasing its tail...I have tried to put the driver in thru manual install  thru DRIVER UPDATE,HAVE DISK, and then put the Pe0fko driver location in the window and windoze tells me that "that software doesnt have a device driver" I tried hdwwiz and no joy..
  In HDSDR, with it  running, I go to OPTIONS, select input, and it says "No ExtIO file found"
  I'm out of ideas...but I'm still looking...  I feel like I'm close with HDSDR so I'm hesitant to try the flex software or Rocky etc....  Steve
KF1Z

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2012, 02:44:04 PM »

Is the "...the Pe0fko driver ..." in a ZIP file?
Or did you extract it into a folder?

KL7OF

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2012, 03:41:10 PM »

It still says ZIP  I used tinyzip to open it and I can see all of its contents...Did I unzip it?
KL7OF

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2012, 03:42:00 PM »

What do you mean extract to a folder?
KF1Z

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2012, 04:38:09 PM »

That's why windows can't get to the driver files it needs.
No, just opening and looking at the files does not extract them.

Do this.

Create a new folder, right on your desktop.

Put the zipfile containing the driver files IN that folder.

double click on the folder.

RIGHT click on the zipfile... choose  "exctract here".

I'm not sure the options "tinyzip" gives you/./.
But in any case, make sure that it extracts the files to the same folder you created on the desktop,
just so you can find them easily.

bruce

edit.....
Just went and looked at tinyzip

Use the open archive (like you did already to look at the files..)
Then click "extract"
A dialog opens to choose where to extract the files.... choose the new folder you made

But it is kinda clunky, and not very friendly

I suggest installing either "7zip"  or "WinRar" instead.

But in any case,
you need to get the files OUT of the archive for windows to use them

KF1Z

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2012, 04:49:12 PM »

What do you mean extract to a folder?

What I mean is..

The "zip" file ( could be any type of archive file)

Is sort of like a folder... it holds many files and compresses them to take up less space and easier management etc.

So the files need to be taken out of that zip file (extracted) in order for windows to use them.

KL7OF

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2012, 05:56:38 PM »

Igot    the pe0-driver, put it on the desktop, unzipped it, tried to install it thru DEVICE MANAGER..as the driver for my UNKNOWN DEVICE USB..
I'm sure it"s unzipped.... windows won't take it...I also tried putting a copy of the driver in the program files ..nothing..
  I got rid of tiny zip and got 7zip...much better....Thanks
KF1Z

« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »

Igot    the pe0-driver, put it on the desktop, unzipped it, tried to install it thru DEVICE MANAGER..as the driver for my UNKNOWN DEVICE USB..
I'm sure it"s unzipped.... windows won't take it...I also tried putting a copy of the driver in the program files ..nothing..
  I got rid of tiny zip and got 7zip...much better....Thanks

Ok,

So now you have a regular windows folder named "PE0FKO-USB-Driver-1.2.5.0"  on the desktop right?

So now...

Start hdwwiz ( from start menu search )

First popup click next
Second, select... "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list".... click next
on this next screen, scroll down and select "libusb win32 devices"...... click next
On the next screen, just click in the white area so nothing is selected ( unless the DG8SAQ device is listed, then select it) Click "have disk"
Now you have an "install from disk" popup, click browse.... Point this file browser to the folder that has the driver in it... select the file "pe0fko".... click OPEN
Then on the Install from disk popup, click OK

Now back on the Add Hardware popup, select NEXT
Then NEXT on the following screen
It should start to install, then you get a nasty windows message about the driver... Click on "Install Anyway"
The install should complete... click finish.

KL7OF

« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »

I don't find Libus win 32 devices....if I bypass that and go to have disk and point my driver to the window etc...it starts to install and then ....cannot find file specified file

Am I missing libusb 32 win devices?  where should I find it?   I've seen it in the files somewhere..
KL7OF

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2012, 01:20:07 PM »

The instruction on the Pe0fko software install page says "special care must be taken when installing on a x64 system"   I wonder how I go about that?   Thanks for all the help so far..Bruce, you have gone above and beyond...I'm still working on it...Steve
KF1Z

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »

the instructions I gave you were derived from a Win7 64b system. ( mine)

I am not sure why you didn't find the "libusb devices".

Maybe it is listed already on my system because of other SDRs I use install as libusb devices.

I'm not sure at this point...

other than to follow the directions on pe0fko page.

Have you tried that again, now that you have the files extracted from the .zip file

KL7OF

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2012, 03:10:15 PM »

other than to follow the directions on pe0fko page.

Have you tried that again, now that you have the files extracted from the .zip file

Again and again...I'm going to clean up a few things on my machine and then see if I can get the liusb win 32 file in my device drivers  and then start over...
KF1Z

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2012, 05:37:48 PM »

Did you build this softrock yourself?

I was looking around....
And all seem to agree that you should NOT get a "usb device not recognized" error IF the hardware is ok.

Which is what I thought too.

So, stop fiddling with drivers etc for now.....   go here and read this thread:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/message/60908

And do another search too on that group for "ensemble device not recognized", and/or "usb ensemble"... etc....

KL7OF

« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2012, 07:15:48 PM »

Thanks Bruce.. Another ham built this board for me...he said he had it working on 20 and 40 but had inadequate computer to test it further..I agree that its time to look at the hardware...I have given the board an inspection under the big magnifier and haven't found anything yet...I will have to have a look at the parts placement on the board .... Test my usb cord..thanks     Steve
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2012, 09:17:37 PM »

"inadequate computer power to test it further means" it doesn't work.
Maybe someone here can check the board for errors. I assume there are SMT devices.
That would leave me out to be able to see the DAM things.

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 07:04:14 AM »

Hey Steve
There are articles in QST to use a webcam (?) to be able to look closely at the PC board. A bad solder joint on an IC could kill the whole operation.

Is this what you are using Steve?
http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble_rx_ii/

I am looking through the "pages" and there are a lot of areas to get in trouble.

Fred KC4MOP
KL7OF

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 09:38:18 AM »

Hey Steve
There are articles in QST to use a webcam (?) to be able to look closely at the PC board. A bad solder joint on an IC could kill the whole operation.

Is this what you are using Steve?
http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble_rx_ii/

I am looking through the "pages" and there are a lot of areas to get in trouble.

Fred..I'm all over the wb5rvz site...You can't (soft)ROCK without it....Yup..lots areas to make mistakes...My unit receives.. It is on a default freq...The (Si570) chip controls the freq oscillator and is usb controlled...the thinking now is that if the hardware is not right, the software won't recognize the chip...I'll look it over some more today...could be a solder error or a component error...If I can't find anything, I will send it to another ham that has built one and has it working and see if mine will work on his computer... wish me luck...Steve
KL7OF

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »

Update:   I inspected the board for solder bridges and component placement, substituted USB and stereo  cords...No Joy...during my inspection, I removed the AtTiny chip from its socket and put it back...I fear I fried it with static...Now all I can get out of the RX is a loud buzz.......Is there any way to check that chip other than replacement?
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 06:52:39 AM »

Hi Steve
Others here may boohoo me for this, but how much was that RX board?? Is it available as kit only? Offered as built and tested??
Start the process over again. Uninstall and or delete all files in your computer that were downloaded for this project and start over..
ZIP Hint:when you download a file that has DOT ZIP then right clik the file and there will be dialogue to extract all
The wizard will start up and then you BROWSE for the proper folder (your winrad folder) where the extracted driver will be placed.
Download the SDR software and the driver for the Ensemble II. THEN connect the hardware to the computer and the computer will hopefully set-up the rest of the process. I think you mentioned you have WIN 7 and that OS is usually pretty friendly to get problems resolved. Hopefully you are 32 bit..

A side comment: Reading into this Ensemble II and the website. It seems to be plagued with USB driver issues. If you are considering starting over, could you consider something a little more friendly to a typical computer user. Some of the comments to help are mind boggling, and some folks love the challenge to fight with a computer. I don't.

I have been down these dead ends with computers. The little softrock board I had worked flawlessly using Flex Power SDR. With the "UNsupported" sound card option in the setup. Perfect to get your feet wet and enjoy an SDR.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KL7OF

« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2012, 08:25:11 AM »

Hi Fred..   Thanks for the ideas..The Softrock EnsembleII cost $57 as a kit..I have seen posts where people have been able to order one assembled and tested, but I don't see that available on Tony Parks site..
  I enjoy a challenge, but I don't enjoy fighting with a computer...I have always thought that it would have been great if I could have run my business the way computer manufacturers and software companies run theirs...Put out an expensive, high profit product that is unfinished and not compatible and get people to buy it and beta test it and keep coming back for more..Don't get me wrong,I think the softrock is a great product, but the computer hassles are more than I'm willing to deal with now that Spring is here and I can get outdoors and hunt and fish and fly and ride etc..  
   I have put the softrock on the shelf for now....I have other things to do that are more fun now....I'll get to it in the Fall when it starts to get cold and I migrate indoors..Ham radio has always been a Fall and Winter activity for me..I'll get some SDR going, but I didn't make it happen this Winter....
  One thing that is great is the help I get from the forum members.. When I built my Tesla 360 (10 yrs ago?) the AM Forum was there to help...I learned a lot..Same with SDR,..I'm just not done with  it  yet...      73      Steve

WA1GFZ

« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »

Tony is a good guy. Maybe as a last resort you could send it to him to take a look at the board.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015