The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 03:27:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good on 40 with homebrew  (Read 4954 times)
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« on: March 20, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »

I have now completed setting up my basement shack. Down there I have my homebuilt rigs. All my homebrew rigs are 40M . Also my antenna is a broadbanded version of a inverted L/Vertical. I just added a back up reciever (DX150 Realistic which is really not a bad piece all considered.) after fixing the fine tune and calibrating it. So I am now good on 40M from there. I will be listening around when the band is good so if you hear a whisper. It is me . If you hear me please know I dont want to hog your QSO but would be thrilled just to know I am heard. The TX section of my HB rig is a 12sl7 osc/ modulator driving a screen grid modulated 50L6. That exciter is driving a Homebrew parallel 6l6 linear though a Homebrew tuner. I hang around in the 7.1 to 7.2 spot and this rig is AM only. Not even CW. So hope to log you sometime soon. .
I only fire up when the band is real good (quiet, not crowded but good propagation which I check before turning on any rig by monitoring CHU and WWV. ) If you cant here at least one of them you may as well save the power. Anyway here is to a few contacts on 40M from the homebrew section of this QTH
Don VE3LYX

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 04:53:41 PM »

I fired up today way up on 7295 as signals were real good here. No joy but I will leave it there. Rig output is good, clean and not too wide according to a nearby monitor rx. When I turn on the linear it idles in an off position and pops up into full output as soon as I flip the switch to TX. Antenna seems to like it too as it loads well. Tuner is in its happy spot too so given an oppourtunity and a willing group I am good I believe.  I am not sure what the parallel 6L6EH s are pumping out but it seems to be decent at least. I am thinking around 10 to 12 watts would be a reasonable estimate.
Don VE3LYX

* amrig1.jpg (82.99 KB, 730x548 - viewed 854 times.)

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015