The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 08:01:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unstable Valiant  (Read 4762 times)
AB5OR

« on: February 20, 2012, 11:00:28 PM »

So, just operating tonight on 3880, all
Of a sudden my valiant decides to steadily drop to 3877.   Key up after that sometimes on 3880, and sometimes not.    Keyed with no power zero beat, everything seems to be on 3880, so I think this only happens when hv is applied.    Thinking this could be a host of things, but curious where to look first.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:37:25 PM »

If it stays on freq with a xtal in the socket, then the problem is in the VFO.

That would likely be the infamous "chernobyl resistor".

The one that is burning up inside the VFO case... that one.
Or it may be something else in the VFO like a bad VFO tube, etc... a voltage that is moving under load.

Others will have better info than I.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 12:21:27 PM »

I had one that did that.  I opened up the VFO compartment, replaced the tube, Uprated the Resistor, replaced the caps and she was back in service.  What a PITA to get the VFO cover off.  Make sure not to lay the rig over as you can break the VFO coupler.

C
AB5OR

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:31:39 PM »

Thanks.    She's on the bench now.    We shall see!
AB5OR

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:28:56 PM »

Which tube did you replace, the regulator or the oscillator?
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 01:30:53 PM »

Both. My reg tube had the glass sucked in slightly.
AB5OR

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 01:37:02 PM »

Someone in the past has taken 2 , 2 watt resistors in parallel and created a 18 k resistor still running 18k.   I'll change that, but I doubt it's the issue.    I kinda doubt the caps are bad.   But the tubes could be an issue.    I kinda sounds like a voltage regulation issue.    I just don't know.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:41:42 PM »

On the resistors, make sure to use over 2 watt ratting.  I thing i used 4 watt. Swap tubes i guess.
KK4YY
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »

As I recall the Valiant VFO has two LC circuits band-switched into the tube. One for 160/80 the other for 40/20/15/10. Try warming up a dummy load on 40 and see if the problem exists on that LC or not. That should narrow your search to one, the other, or neither.

It sure could be a bad cap though. I had a postage stamp cap in the voltage divider of a Johnson VFO crap out. The frequency would shift a few hundred HZ now and then. It kept getting more often. I doped it out by substituting cheap disc ceramics. That found the problem but they were too drifty to use. A silver mica from the junkbox made it all good again.
AB5OR

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 09:19:48 PM »

Update....   Got this on the hp rf analyzer and could watch the vfo drift quite a bit.... Ended up changing out the 6au6 oscillator tube and all seems well.   Also cleaned switch and variable caps contacts, etc.   grounded the radio with 3 wire plug, etc.    So far minimal drift.   In fact, I tried rapid cw and couldn't get it to chirp much, so I think it is ok!
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »

Ver nice.  Cant wait to hear it sometime
AB5OR

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 10:26:35 AM »

One other thing I was able to track down with the rx analyzer on the HP.....   Sometimes, the vfo would drift 20-75 Hz at a time, rapidly.   This ended up being caused by the bandswitch wafer in the very back of chassis where it connects to all those micas not making good contact.   The switch was kind of hard to turn, and a little corrosion back there.   I cleaned it good and sprayed with a little De Oxit, and now the switch is good and smooth, and functions properly, and the drift is very stable every time, not some of the time.    Just wanted to post this in case others run into this issue later.   Yes, love to work anyone on the air.   Matter of fact, I'm gonna tune it up on 15 or 40 later on.   Had a lot of fun the other day on 15 meters AM.   73 to all, and thanks for the help and comments.   What a fantastic group on here.  - Joe
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »

Great tip.  On a valiant, I use a toothbrush and de-oxit. I rotate the switch and scrub the contacts until they are clean and shiny.  Some of them need to be tensioned. You can watch the contacts rise and fall.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015