The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:31:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting (or stupid) occurrence regarding the "AM Window" the other day..  (Read 28878 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 08:58:18 AM »

you did not get the memo that said chasing dx is the single most important thing in ham radio?   has priority over everything else  Wink

but what do you do with it after you catch it? ? ? ?

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 11:18:36 AM »

It's catch and release. The DX doesn't like being held prisoner.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2012, 11:55:53 AM »

Being that yous guys weren't in SE Asia and did not experience what I did, then my words have a tiny bit of truth to them.
The grey line is not a guaranteed 10 over S-9 while it is taking place. Many times an Aussie or someone from Indonesia may be an S-3 with noise. That WINDOW of opportunity is about an hour twice a day. So the DX window that apparently someone recognizes, whether it was a "Gentleman's agreement" or in the ARRL grand scheme band plan, was appreciated that I had a slight chance to show what my hobby was about to my brother-in-law. He thought it was kinda neat to talk, even briefly, to somebody from another country / continent. Ya the boring "name here, rig, antenna, barefoot, 599 etc etc" can be a nice change / challenge from a stateside QSO.
The "gentlemen's agreement" was my term, sorry it did not get passed around in the memo.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »

Fred, most Dog X-ray operators are not shy, based on my encounters with them.  SO if there's a grey line or other propagational opportunity at hand, you KNOW they would speak up and ask for a chance.  I'd be glad to stand by and help listen, sort of like when someone asks a repeater QSO if they can make a call.  QSO then resumes.

It's very hard to warrant a full time, permanent exclusion of some segment of a band, where people seldom show up to claim their reserved table.  When someone is expected, or may already have been heard, then fine by me, stand back a while.

Vast areas where no one was operating was why the FCC scaled back the size of the subbands set aside for CW.

In our case, it could send the wrong message to federal regulators if we were to voluntarily leave portions underutilized.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2012, 03:12:51 PM »

I suspect your time in SE Asian wasn't spent enjoying a leisurely hobby like amateur radio, Fred.  

IMO, having such gathering spots is not a bad idea, nor is recognizing or respecting them. It's the arbitrary declaration by some, without any consideration of the rest of the people who don't pursue the same interest, that most object to. At the very least, they should have done their homework before proclaiming some new reservation for the 40m band on a frequency previously known (at least as well as their DX window idea) to be an area used by AMers.

Then again, if AMers aren't using the area with any regularity, it makes it easier to assume nobody cares. Doesn't make it right, just easier. In the end, any agreement recognized and/or known only to the few who participate in it (like Nets) has no bearing. Within the limited exceptions outlined by the FCC for emergency use, nobody owns or has exclusive rights to any frequency(s). It's first come, first served. End of story.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2012, 08:16:27 PM »

No one is disputing what you experienced Fred. If others stood by for your to make a contact, awesome. If there is a gentlemen's' agreement in that part of the world for 7160 and gray line propagation, awesome! I've never heard anyone in the USA or Europe make any such claim about 7160. It's not even exclusively for DX in the USA. I've worked VKs on the long path gray line many times on 40 meters. According to my log, only three times has it been on 7160.

I actually like not having a DX Window on 40 meters. If I want to rag chew with a DX station, I don't have some Kilocycle Cop ranting at me about "tying up the window."
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »

I don't do windows!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 06:05:53 AM »

I don't do windows!

You're a MAC man???
Did you mean Windoze? Budly?

Fred KC4MOP
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »

The Lids are everywhere. To recite the noble preachings of the K4KYV, "Strap and Ignore." I was on 29100 with a buddy of mine in a nice 3hr qso. He's running a hot rodded Kenmore and a linyar and I'm running my J500/r390a. Inside that three hours or so, no less than a half dozen dimwits showed up to try and interfere. Yeah OK, we're like 10 miles away from each other, so good luck with that. The only one that was interesting was a no-ID'er who said we were running an "illegal mode" and "we're being recorded", then insisted we give him our calls. I tapped out my call at 25wpm on a little tone box which infuriated this problem child enough to make him clear the frequency.

Sometimes the nutjobs can be entertaining. 

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
w1vtp

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 04:03:31 PM »

The Lids are everywhere. To recite the noble preachings of the K4KYV, "Strap and Ignore."

<snip>

I tapped out my call at 25wpm on a little tone box which infuriated this problem child enough to make him clear the frequency.

I love it!! What an elegant way to id during a QSO.  Have you ever noticed these mode police are complete cowards and hardly ever ID?

I think they are fair game for messing with their minds

Al
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2012, 09:38:12 PM »

The Lids are everywhere. To recite the noble preachings of the K4KYV, "Strap and Ignore." I was on 29100 with a buddy of mine in a nice 3hr qso. He's running a hot rodded Kenmore and a linyar and I'm running my J500/r390a. Inside that three hours or so, no less than a half dozen dimwits showed up to try and interfere. Yeah OK, we're like 10 miles away from each other, so good luck with that. The only one that was interesting was a no-ID'er who said we were running an "illegal mode" and "we're being recorded", then insisted we give him our calls. I tapped out my call at 25wpm on a little tone box which infuriated this problem child enough to make him clear the frequency.

I would've told him he was just as illegal as he claims you supposedly were for him to not give out HIS call, bet he never would've tought of things that way.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
w1vtp

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2012, 09:51:22 PM »

kb3ouk:

That precise point was made at the time.  However, it was as though he was reading from a script.  I wonder if any thought was given to the "speach."  He certainly had the opportunity to identify himself and join the QSO through gracious invitation.

Any intelligent person would have behaved quite differtly.  It's sad but this is a common occurance these days

I'm proud of who I am and my callsign.  This person is not

Al
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2012, 10:43:57 PM »

Losers are not usually not proud of themselves.

You've properly identified what sort of person you were dealing with.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2012, 11:02:46 AM »

Did you mean Windoze? Budly?

No, Phred, I mean windows. Operating windows in the ham bands. I don't do them. They don't exist. For instance, my AM operating on 40 meters can be from 7.125 to 7.300 MHz. If you want to call that a window then fine by you.

Why do we do this to ourselves?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015