The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:05:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interesting (or stupid) occurrence regarding the "AM Window" the other day..  (Read 29217 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: February 20, 2012, 08:19:23 AM »

There is a net that meets at or around (I think - now I can't remember exactly - maybe someone will help me!) 3835kHz on Sunday mornings called "The AM Carrier Net".  Anyway, I checked into the end of it yesterday...

Some guy on SSB was mildly harassing the net telling everyone to "go back to the AM window" and that the net is violating a "gentleman's agreement" and so on.

Ok, first of all we can operate AM anywhere we want and the SSBers can do the same.  We all know that.... but that's not the issue at hand.

Anyway, I engaged the rather agitated "gentleman" about this, and stated that the "windows" (such as the "DX window" or others) are there to protect the users of the window from incompatible activity and not the other way around.  For instance, I pointed out that many people work DX outside of the "DX window", but that people (by agreement) do not conduct casual local QSOs or nets within the  "DX window" - even though it is perfectly legal from an FCC rules standpoint to do so.

Further went on to say that the "AM window" is the same - it is there to "protect" (so to speak) the AMers from other incompatible modes such as CW and SSB, but AM activity (like DX) is not confined to the "window".

The rest of the band is "unallocated space", and available for any legal mode or activity.  There are probably other "windows" as well.

I have certainly heard these sort of comments from SSBers in the past, and have put forth the same answer.  The "Window" is there for the benefit of the AM stations (or DX operators, etc.) and is not there to restrict the "protected" activity solely to the confines of the window.  The SSB guy sure didn't like THAT answer  Wink

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »

C'mon Steve how long have you been licensed now?  Variations of this "back of the bus" sniping have been around ever since SSB's struggle for acceptance.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:42:51 AM »

Not to mention that there never really has been an AM window or any gentlemen's agreement. Those are/were figments of fertile imaginations.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:11:53 AM »

What was the name of your site again HX Steve Grin
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 11:20:14 AM »

Exactly - the site exists in the virtual world, not the real world.

Those going around beating their chest about defending the AM window need to get a life.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:02 PM »

How about  "AM Oasis on 75?"  ...  Wink    I can price out turbans with custom call letters.

ChannelMasters get to wear the more elaborate garb:

T

* The Tron.jpg (5.21 KB, 200x252 - viewed 402 times.)

* Guru Trogladite.jpg (111.77 KB, 426x640 - viewed 442 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:33 PM »

Radio Rug Merchants.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »

Further went on to say that the "AM window" is the same - it is there to "protect" (so to speak) the AMers from other incompatible modes such as CW and SSB,

Pure nonsense, and a moot point to anyone not into operating AM or being boxed in to a small sliver of spectrum. These SSB folks have taken your argument for a protected AM area to heart, and expect you to use it, not use the rest of the band. It's a losing argument, along the lines of referring to AM as a 'Specialty' or 'Legacy' mode. Such things paint us into a corner and do nothing but long term harm at the expense of some false sense of security or ownership.

I have certainly heard these sort of comments from SSBers in the past, and have put forth the same answer.  The "Window" is there for the benefit of the AM stations (or DX operators, etc.) and is not there to restrict the "protected" activity solely to the confines of the window.  The SSB guy sure didn't like THAT answer  Wink

And many of us who don't agree certainly wish you'd preface these responses with "I prefer.." or "some of us prefer this approach" rather than in a way that would speak for the entire mode. My understanding is that it was simply a place to likely find AM activity.

I recently heard one of the regulars on 3870 lecturing the SSBers by saying "We only use this small part of the band, you guys have all the rest of it to use, to stay away from here". Thanks, but if you want to confine yourselves to a box, by all means - feel free to do so. But don't presume to speak for the rest of us, please. The AM Window obviously appealed to someone feeling the need for frequency ownership, the same as it does to the 'I have a net here' crowd/mentality. It has never been respected in the nearly 30 years I've been licensed. Just listen up there most any night.

As long as such things are propagated, these conflicts will continue. Jesse Jackson is living proof.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:52:23 PM »

It's a losing argument, along the lines of referring to AM as a 'Specialty' or 'Legacy' mode. Such things paint us into a corner and do nothing but long term harm at the expense of some false sense of security or ownership.

Well there's a law of unintended consequences that I broke with "Specialty."  
(The word "Legacy" is an insult and I've never used it in a favorable way.)

For years I tried to portray AM as a specialty because it seemed to accomplish two things -- a distinctive interest group within the hobby, and  deserving of consideration on a par with other such specialties like Dog-Xray, Contesting, and CW.

But yes, for the same reasons Todd and Steve both have repeated here today, it painted my characterization into a corner, where expectations were such that AM was supposed to be in a certain area, and certainly not generally distributed among the "mainstream" modes and activities.  Back of the bus syndrome.

So out the window went that idea, as far as I was concerned, and I also discarded the notion of constraining our part of the hobby to certain spots on the dial.  There was little payoff, and plenty of risk from an "AM Window" that was supposed to be a goodwill gesture of coordinating our mode and activity with those that are incompatible.

It's much better for us, and more consistent with how the FCC views us, to NOT consider our part of the hobby any different than the other modes and activities available to us.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:58 PM »

AM now is doing the same as SSB did in the late 40's - early 50's, enroaching on the majority mode as it continues to grow.

At some point the ARRL will demand (bribe) FCC restricted bandwidths as they forced on AM rig manufacturers starting in the late 40's. Listen to the difference between a bone stock HT-9 and any Heath, Johnson, Collins, etc.

At the other end of the dial there are QRP and digi modes all clamoring for more of the general CW segment.

Carl
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »

So out the window went that idea, as far as I was concerned, and I also discarded the notion of constraining our part of the hobby to certain spots on the dial.  There was little payoff, and plenty of risk from an "AM Window" that was supposed to be a goodwill gesture of coordinating our mode and activity with those that are incompatible.

It's much better for us, and more consistent with how the FCC views us, to NOT consider our part of the hobby any different than the other modes and activities available to us.

Precisely. Wasn't meaning to point fingers Paul. Mainly saying what you've summed up: we do better being seen as just another, accepted mode, without special privileges. Steve's confrontation is more proof of the folly of trying to seem different, better, protected, or whatever else.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:13:27 PM »

Think how ticked off the CW-preferrers would be if their favorite mode were referred to in a way that indicated it was not mainstream or that it was somehow 'less' because is is older. I feel like that about AM. It is not antiquated or lesser. It takes more skill in most cases to do it right.

"At some point the ARRL will demand (bribe) FCC restricted bandwidths"

There was some gibberish proposed to the FCC trying to do something like ^that ^ not too long ago. The FCC didn't seem to be fooled at the time and most comments were against the suggestion. Vigilance..

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA3VJB
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 01:16:34 PM »

Think how ticked off the CW-preferrers would be if their favorite mode were referred to in a way that indicated it was not mainstream....

Unfortunately they fought that battle and lost when the FCC reapportioned the mode subbands on 80 and 40 to more accurately reflect levels of use.  it wasn't that the mode was older, just that it was, uh, more of a specialty than the amount of reserved space warranted.

It would not be surprising to see someone point to the "AM Windows" and say that's where we all ought to be, by regulation.  So I no longer persist in defending those areas.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 01:31:24 PM »

Well, it wouldn't actually hurt to spread the AM Ghetto out over additional frequencies, particularly somewhere below 3800 and 7290, just to maintain more widespread AM presence on the bands, but I have to say that some of the AM guys are just as bad as the dead-air slopbucket groups when it comes to visions of frequency ownership.  I have heard AM stations actually break in and scold SSB operators who happened to start a QSO in what is perceived as the "AM Window". I am not talking about the 1875, 1868, 3892 and 3878 bunches and their ilk, but unsuspecting hams who just happened to find a clear spot and drop their riceboxes somewhere within the range of usual AM operating frequencies.

Not exactly the best way to win over the "hearts and minds" of the general amateur radio community.

To me, the concept of "AM Window" (or Ghetto if you prefer) is for our convenience.  More like the concept of "calling frequency" as stated in the ARRL band plan.  It gives us a spot in the band to listen where we will likely find AM activity, but any unused frequency in the phone band is fair game.  Sometimes, when the QSO I'm in accumulates 7-8 people, I move out and QSY to another spot to start a one-on-one QSO, or invite one or two members of the large QSO to QSY with me in cases where we  have something specific we want to discuss that wouldn't interest other members of the large group.  Sometimes I just want to get away from the large group.

I tend to listen and fire up on 160m or "down below" on 75 in the early evening hours when 3870-90 is crowded with activity, but move back up to the "Ghetto" later at night when that's probably the only place where other AM operators will listening. In rare cases when I do ham radio during daylight hours, I always listen first in the vicinity of 7160 before tangling with the No-Traffic Net or  large AM groups at the top of the band.

It helps to have enough frequency agility to be able to work all the way across the entire band with any band I work, instead of being limited to only a small portion of the band due to narrow band resonant antennas or other alleged reasons I often hear why one "can't" spread out a little.

AM now is doing the same as SSB did in the late 40's - early 50's, enroaching on the majority mode as it continues to grow.

At some point the ARRL will demand (bribe) FCC restricted bandwidths as they forced on AM rig manufacturers starting in the late 40's. Listen to the difference between a bone stock HT-9 and any Heath, Johnson, Collins, etc.

I never heard of the FCC forcing any kind of bandwidth restriction on any kind of manufactured AM equipment.  That was something the manufacturers voluntarily did themselves when they climbed onto the "communications quality" bandwagon.  Compare the sound of an early KW-1 to that of one of the late serial number models, and the frequency limitations added to the audio section of later models of the 75A-4.  The FCC has always maintained a policy of unspecified bandwidth limitations, based on "good engineering practice".

I do recall a statement published by the FCC in response to one of their docket proposals in the 1970s, in which they said amateurs were "strongly encouraged" to avoid using full carrier double sideband "except in cases of emergency".  This was about the time when all the anti-AM "Docket-a-Month" crap started coming down from the FCC in the mid 70s after Johnny Johnston assumed the position of head of the amateur radio rulemaking division or bureau within the FCC, although as I recall, that statement pre-dated Johnston's ascent to power.

At the other end of the dial there are QRP and digi modes all clamoring for more of the general CW segment.
Or the CW community yelling and screaming at any suggestion to expand the phone bands on 40m and 20m, even though there is a wide gap with sparse activity between the segments low in the bands where most of the cw/digital stuff is heard, and the bottom ends of the phone bands.

It would not be surprising to see someone point to the "AM Windows" and say that's where we all ought to be, by regulation.  So I no longer persist in defending those areas.

OTOH, I doubt that the FCC is interested in expending more of their resources to further micro-manage something they consider as unimportant as the internal affairs of a group of hobbyists, i.e. the amateur radio community.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »

Hmmmm... somehow my entire post must not have displayed on some folk's browsers, although I can read it all here  Grin

If I read the words that I wrote, I said the so-called "window" is there for the benefit of the (in this case) AM mode, but by no means does the window restrict, in any way, where one can operate AM.  I fail to see, unless the words were not actually displayed for some reason or were otherwise unreadable, how I construed, implied or stated in way any that AM should operate only in the so-called window, or should be restricted in any way to the same.  Roll Eyes

My point, which I will reiterate, which was made to the "gentleman" who was harassing the AM Carrier Net is that AM is NOT restricted in any way to the so-called "window", and the so-called "window" is for the benefit of AM and NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.  Any implication or suggestion that anything other than this was stated is inaccurate.

Whether the "window" should or does exist is the subject of another conversation.  But even if it is a reality, the "window" does not restrict, in any way, where AM should operate and this is what I actually said.  If I simply told the guy the "window" is not real or does not exist, he would not have believed me.  At least in this way, I gave him something to think about.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »

C'mon Steve how long have you been licensed now?  Variations of this "back of the bus" sniping have been around ever since SSB's struggle for acceptance.

I didn't take it that way... I figure the guy is misinformed about what a "window" is for (like the DX window) and I attempted to provide some sense of reality.  Again, whether the "window" exists is not what the discussion is/was about about.  A lot of SSBers think it does exist.  Most respect it, some don't, and some like the one I encountered today have a defective idea as to what it means entirely.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 03:28:21 PM »

Defective. I got that word!  Grin
w1vtp

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »

I was there at the time and the term "gentleman" does not apply in my view.  Individual? Yes.  Gentleman?  NO.  I asked in a polite way several times as did Steve for him to identify his station and he repeatedly ignored our requests.  It was as though he was reading from a script.  He left me with the impression that he was ashamed to attach his ID to his comments and so, in my mind, his comments were completely invalid for the sake of dialogue.

The only thing this individual conveyed to me was that he was ashamed to attach his commentary to his personal identification and that he might even be a disturbed individual.  Such behavior is unacceptable on the amateur band.

I prefer to consider certain frequencies as places where we of like mind and interest can congregate.  After that, we could remain on the frequency we find ourselves or arrange to "QSY" so that the frequency could be used by others.  Most of the time I just sit there and enjoy the conversation going on at the time.  The rule of gentlemanly behavior is really the underlining operational rule.  Paul Segal 9EEA wrote The Radio Amateur's Code way back in 1928.  I offer them for your consideration.

The Radio Amateur is

CONSIDERATE... He never knowingly operates in such a way as to lesson the pleasure of others

LOYAL... He offers loyalty, encouragement and support to other amateurs, local clubs, te IARU Radio Society in his country, through which the Amateur Radio in his country is representated nationally and internationally.

PROGRESSIVE...He keeps his station up to date. It is well-built and efficient. His operating practice is above reproach.

FRIENDLY ... He operates slowly and patiently when requested; offers friendly advice and counsel to the beginner; kind assistance, cooperation and consideration for the interests of others. These are marks of the amateur spirit.

BALANCED ... Radio is a hobby, never interfering with the duties owed to family, job, school or community.

PATRIOTIC ... His station and skills are always ready for service to country and community.

I think most friction between individuals could be avoided if we all adhered to this code of conduct.  I am proud to associate myself with AMers and for that matter, SSBers as long as each individual conducts himself in a gentlemanly way.

Al
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 04:15:40 PM »

Again, whether the "window" exists is not what the discussion is/was about about.  A lot of SSBers think it does exist.  Most respect it, some don't, and some like the one I encountered today have a defective idea as to what it means entirely.

Explaining it as if it exists only reinforces their view, defective or otherwise, that AM belongs *there* not here. The DX window is different. DX is an activity. AM is a mode. Does SSB have a 'window'? If not, why would we want to represent one in any way for AM? Other than perhaps dismissing or explaining it as a flawed theory.  Wink

Even what Don and I both mentioned isn't terribly relevant these days, that it's merely a place where AM activity can be found. More and more it's found anywhere in the band where other phone modes are found. It's becoming more the mode it once was, used by many instead of the few. The 3.885 calling frequency is the only thing I'd acknowledge since it appears the ARRL has published it. Aside from that, I just respond to such inquiries with bewilderment. "AM is allowed anywhere SSB is, in fact SSB is actually AM" usually gets them headed back in the right direction (assuming some technical competence). Having anyone respect a specific section of a band for preferred operation is an invitation to complain when we show up elsewhere, as you witnessed.

Kudos for trying to be decent about it though, Steve. There's no need to crawl down into the gutter with them as some enjoy doing. As we've seen, folks with that attitude are as set in their ways as hard core political types. Far better to win them over with the pleasing audio and good ol' fun operating that has worked so well. Things like the AM Transmitter Rally, HMR, and other opportunities to showcase what we enjoy and see as another mode for folks to try.

I never heard of the FCC forcing any kind of bandwidth restriction on any kind of manufactured AM equipment.  That was something the manufacturers voluntarily did themselves when they climbed onto the "communications quality" bandwagon.  Compare the sound of an early KW-1 to that of one of the late serial number models, and the frequency limitations added to the audio section of later models of the 75A-4.  The FCC has always maintained a policy of unspecified bandwidth limitations, based on "good engineering practice".

I'm not aware of such a thing either. In fact, the few pre-war Collins transmitters I've heard sound pretty nice. They were out years before the HT-9, HT-4, or even the HT-1. Art decided to restrict audio quality himself, in favor of more communications-quality punch. As you mention, the KW-1 is a prime example, as documented by several folks including Skip 'YOO I believe. The extra response was considered wasted energy. It's possible that the experiences of WWII helped shape this approach for Collins and other manufacturers. Fidelity wasn't an issue for folks back in the 50s or even 60s like it is today. More, not better, modulation was the objective.

KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »

Perhaps I could have written that a bit clearer so that everyone could understand it Grin
I was referring to the ARRL doing the forcing and there was nothing voluntary if the manufacturers wanted to advertise.
The 75A4 audio was aimed at the SSB user as AM was already considered obsolete by Collins for ham use, the 32V3 was their last gasp, there was no 32V4. The AM filter was an optional afterthought to make a profit on dinosaurs Huh

I do recall a statement published by the FCC in response to one of their docket proposals in the 1970s, in which they said amateurs were "strongly encouraged" to avoid using full carrier double sideband "except in cases of emergency".  This was about the time when all the anti-AM "Docket-a-Month" crap started coming down from the FCC in the mid 70s after Johnny Johnston assumed the position of head of the amateur radio rulemaking division or bureau within the FCC, although as I recall, that statement pre-dated Johnston's ascent to power.

Had to change to an ancient browser compatibility mode to be able to edit as this site doesnt like IE8, at least here.
JJ was an interesting Radiokit customer, usually ordering serious QRO parts Grin

Carl
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »

I'm not aware of such a thing either. In fact, the few pre-war Collins transmitters I've heard sound pretty nice. They were out years before the HT-9, HT-4, or even the HT-1. Art decided to restrict audio quality himself, in favor of more communications-quality punch. As you mention, the KW-1 is a prime example, as documented by several folks including Skip 'YOO I believe. The extra response was considered wasted energy. It's possible that the experiences of WWII helped shape this approach for Collins and other manufacturers. Fidelity wasn't an issue for folks back in the 50s or even 60s like it is today. More, not better, modulation was the objective.

Another who misunderstood poor old me Huh Thats why I mentioned the HT-9 earlier as it has a 15kc bandwidth and its early postwar; the HT-20 was castrated. The 32V1 came out after the ARRL pressure was on and you could also read between the lines why the Viking I took so long between first announcement and actual deliveries. Read some of those early ads and draw your own conclusion.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »

I Googled "Don't argue with" and got a fine collection of apropos hits including

Don't argue with a (fool, idiot, me, Spiderman ...) and my personal favorite

Don't argue with a goat
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 07:50:57 PM »

I Googled "Don't argue with" and got a fine collection of apropos hits including

Don't argue with a (fool, idiot, me, Spiderman ...) and my personal favorite

Don't argue with a goat

When a wise man starts to argue with a fool, it doesn't take long before no-one can tell the difference.   Roll Eyes

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 08:28:15 PM »

A wise man also checks his references before becoming a fool.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 08:39:35 PM »

Here's what I go by.

Sec. 97.101  General standards.

(a) In all respects not specifically covered by FCC Rules each
amateur station must be operated in accordance with good engineering and
good amateur practice.
    (b) Each station licensee and each control operator must cooperate
in selecting transmitting channels and in making the most effective use
of the amateur service frequencies. No frequency will be assigned for
the exclusive use of any station.
    (c) At all times and on all frequencies, each control operator must
give priority to stations providing emergency communications, except to
stations transmitting communications for training drills and tests in
RACES.
    (d) No amateur operator shall willfully or maliciously interfere
with or cause interference to any radio communication or signal.

Sec. 97.3  Definitions.

(a) The definitions of terms used in part 97 are:
….

(8 ) Bandwidth. The width of a frequency band outside of which the
mean power of the transmitted signal is attenuated at least 26 dB below
the mean power of the transmitted signal within the band.

….

(c)(5) Phone. Speech and other sound emissions having designators with
A, C, D, F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1, 2 or 3 as the second
symbol; E as the third symbol. Also speech emissions having B as the
first symbol; 7, 8 or 9 as the second symbol; E as the third symbol. MCW
for the purpose of performing the station identification procedure, or
for providing telegraphy practice interspersed with speech. Incidental
tones for the purpose of selective calling or alerting or to control the
level of a demodulated signal may also be considered phone.

Sec. 97.301  Authorized frequency bands.

The following transmitting frequency bands are available to an
amateur station located within 50 km of the Earth's surface, within the
specified ITU Region, and outside any area where the amateur service is
regulated by any authority other than the FCC.
    (a) For a station having a control operator who has been granted a
Technician, Technician Plus, General, Advanced, or Amateur Extra Class
operator license or who holds a CEPT radio-amateur license or IARP of
any class:

(b) For a station having a control operator who has been granted an Amateur
Extra Class operator license or who holds a CEPT radio-amateur license Class 1
license or Class 1 IARP:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                                                                                    Sharing
                                                                                               requirements. See
         Wavelength band             ITU--Region 1       ITU--Region 2       ITU--Region 3       Sec.  97.303
                                                                                                  (Paragraph)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
               MF                         kHz                 kHz                 kHz

160 m...........................  1810-1850.........  1800-2000.........  1800-2000.........  (a), (b), (c).

HF                         MHz                 MHz                 MHz

80 m............................  3.50-3.60.........  3.50-3.60.........  3.50-3.60.........  (a).
75 m............................  3.60-3.80.........  3.60-4.00.........  3.60-3.90.........  (a).
40 m............................  7.0-7.1...........  7.0-7.3...........  7.0-7.1...........  (a).
30 m............................  10.10-10.15.......  10.10-10.15.......  10.10-10.15.......  (d).
20 m............................  14.00-14.35.......  14.00-14.35.......  14.00-14.35.......  ..................
17 m............................  18.068-18.168.....  18.068-18.168.....  18.068-18.168.....  ..................
15 m............................  21.00-21.45.......  21.00-21.45.......  21.00-21.45.......  ..................
12 m............................  24.89-24.99.......  24.89-24.99.......  24.89-24.99.......  ..................
10 m............................  28.0-29.7.........  28.0-29.7.........  28.0-29.7.........  ..................

Sec. 97.305  Authorized emission types.

(a) An amateur station may transmit a CW emission on any frequency
authorized to the control operator.
    (b) A station may transmit a test emission on any frequency
authorized to the control operator for brief periods for experimental
purposes, except that no pulse modulation emission may be transmitted on
any frequency where pulse is not specifically authorized and no SS
modulation emission may be transmitted on any frequency where SS is not
specifically authorized.
    (c) A station may transmit the following emission types on the
frequencies indicated, as authorized to the control operator, subject to
the standards specified in Sec. 97.307(f) of this part.

Standards see Sec.  97.307(f),
 Wavelength band       Frequencies            Emission types authorized                   paragraph:
MF:
    160 m         Entire band..........  RTTY, data........................  (3).
    160 m         Entire band..........  Phone, image......................  (1), (2).
HF:
    80 m          Entire band..........  RTTY, data........................  (3), (9).
    75 m          Entire band..........  Phone, image......................  (1), (2).
    40 m          7.000-7.100 MHz......  RTTY, data........................  (3), (9).
    40 m          7.075-7.100 MHz......  Phone, image......................  (1), (2), (9), (11).
    40 m          7.100-7.150 MHz......  RTTY, data........................  (3), (9).
    40 m          7.125-7.300 MHz......  Phone, image......................  (1), (2).
    30 m          Entire band..........  RTTY, data........................  (3).
    20 m          14.00-14.15 MHz......  RTTY, data........................  (3).
    20 m          14.15-14.35 MHz......  Phone, image......................  (1), (2).
    17 m          18.068-18.110 MHz....  RTTY, data........................  (3).
    17 m          18.110-18.168 MHz....  Phone, image......................  (1), (2).
    15 m          21.0-21.2 MHz........  RTTY, data........................  (3), (9).
    15 m          21.20-21.45 MHz......  Phone, image......................  (1), (2).
    12 m          24.89-24.93 MHz......  RTTY, data........................  (3).
    12 m          24.93-24.99 MHz......  Phone, image......................  (1), (2).
    10 m          28.0-28.3 MHz........  RTTY, data........................  (4).
    10 m          28.3-28.5 MHz........  Phone, image......................  (1), (2), (10).
    10 m          28.5-29.0 MHz........  Phone, image......................  (1), (2).
    10 m          29.0-29.7 MHz........  Phone, image......................  (2).

Sec. 97.307  Emission standards.

(a) No amateur station transmission shall occupy more bandwidth than
necessary for the information rate and emission type being transmitted,
in accordance with good amateur practice.
    (b) Emissions resulting from modulation must be confined to the band
or segment available to the control operator. Emissions outside the
necessary bandwidth must not cause splatter or keyclick interference to
operations on adjacent frequencies.
    (c) All spurious emissions from a station transmitter must be
reduced to the greatest extent practicable. If any spurious emission,
including chassis or power line radiation, causes harmful interference
to the reception of another radio station, the licensee of the
interfering amateur station is required to take steps to eliminate the
interference, in accordance with good engineering practice.
    (d) The mean power of any spurious emission from a station
transmitter or external RF power amplifier transmitting on a frequency
below 30 MHz must not exceed 50 mW and must be at least 40 dB below the
mean power of the fundamental emission. For a transmitter of mean power
less than 5 W, the attenuation must be at least 30 dB. A transmitter
built before April 15, 1977, or first marketed before January 1, 1978,
is exempt from this requirement.
    (e) The mean power of any spurious emission from a station
transmitter or external RF power amplifier transmitting on a frequency
between 30-225 MHz must be at least 60 dB below the mean power of the
fundamental. For a transmitter having a mean power of 25 W or less, the
mean power of any spurious emission supplied to the antenna transmission
line must not exceed 25 <greek-m>W and must be at least 40 dB below the
mean power of the fundamental emission, but need not be reduced below
the power of 10 <greek-m>W. A transmitter built before April 15, 1977,
or first marketed before January 1, 1978, is exempt from this
requirement.
   (f) The following standards and limitations apply to transmissions
on the frequencies specified in Sec. 97.305(c) of this part.

(1) No angle-modulated emission may have a modulation index greater
than 1 at the highest modulation frequency.
    (2) No non-phone emission shall exceed the bandwidth of a
communications quality phone emission of the same modulation type. The
total bandwidth of an independent sideband emission (having B as the
first symbol), or a multiplexed image and phone emission, shall not exceed that of a
communications quality A3E emission.
    (3) Only a RTTY or data emission using a specified digital code
listed in Sec. 97.309(a) of this part may be transmitted. The symbol
rate must not exceed 300 bauds, or for frequency-shift keying, the
frequency shift between mark and space must not exceed 1 kHz.
    (4) Only a RTTY or data emission using a specified digital code
listed in Sec. 97.309(a) of this part may be transmitted. The symbol
rate must not exceed 1200 bauds, or for frequency-shift keying, the
frequency shift between mark and space must not exceed 1 kHz.
    (5) A RTTY, data or multiplexed emission using a specified digital
code listed in Sec. 97.309(a) of this part may be transmitted. The
symbol rate must not exceed 19.6 kilobauds. A RTTY, data or multiplexed
emission using an unspecified digital code under the limitations listed
in Sec. 97.309(b) of this part also may be transmitted. The authorized
bandwidth is 20 kHz.
    (6) A RTTY, data or multiplexed emission using a specified digital
code listed in Sec. 97.309(a) of this part may be transmitted. The
symbol rate must not exceed 56 kilobauds. A RTTY, data or multiplexed
emission using an unspecified digital code under the limitations listed
in Sec. 97.309(b) of this part also may be transmitted. The authorized
bandwidth is 100 kHz.
    (7) A RTTY, data or multiplexed emission using a specified digital
code listed in Sec. 97.309(a) of this part or an unspecified digital
code under the limitations listed in Sec. 97.309(b) of this part may be
transmitted.
    (8 ) A RTTY or data emission having designators with A, B, C, D, E,
F, G, H, J or R as the first symbol; 1, 2, 7 or 9 as the second symbol;
and D or W as the third symbol is also authorized.
    (9) A station having a control operator holding a Novice or
Technician Class operator license may only transmit a CW emission using
the international Morse code.
    (10) A station having a control operator holding a Novice Class
operator license or a Technician Class operator license and who has
received credit for proficiency in telegraphy in accordance with the
international requirements may only transmit a CW emission using the
international Morse code or phone emissions J3E and R3E.
    (11) Phone and image emissions may be transmitted only by stations
located in ITU Regions 1 and 3, and by stations located within ITU
Region 2 that are west of 130 deg. West longitude or south of 20 deg.
North latitude.
    (12) Emission F8E may be transmitted.
    (13) A data emission using an unspecified digital code under the
limitations listed in Sec. 97.309(b) also may be transmitted. The
authorized bandwidth is 100 kHz.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015