The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:50:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Digital mode on 3710  (Read 19117 times)
WA3VJB
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 02:59:53 PM »

Maybe the FCC has relaxed the rules for identification
//
I haven't bothered to keep up with the pertinent rules in Part 97.

Seems to be the case -- ID is required, but it can be within the mode of operation, or some combination of modes as long as they're "specified" or "applicable."  That seems NOT to rule out IDs in a proprietary system, such as the automated email system WinLink found on HF.  That's where I first heard it was legal to not identify in-the-clear.  Nice.  These automatic store and forward stations are thus harder to identify as the source of interference they may cause.  Probably won't be long until the guys sending pictures of Judy Collins just shoot a photo of their call sign and play it out every so often.

http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=124
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »

THe problem is 3710 or so will be vacant, we'll have a QSO there, then these idiots just start right up on top with no ID, no request, etc.  This seems to happen every time someone happens to use "their" frequency.  I have heard them go for hours with no voice ID.  They are, in my experience, some of the most arrogant and selfish group of knotheads (as Steve said) I've had the displeasure to encounter on ham radio.

Sounds like a very different group from the 40 meter bunch that does a voice ID before every digital transmission and has a very pleasant demeanor. Some DSSTV stations do a visible text ID in the waterfall, but since they are in the voice portion of the band I don't think that cuts it. At any rate, your description of the 3710 group indicates unwelcome moronic behavior in an area of the band that has generally been a peaceful place to chat. From experience I can tell you that it doesn't take much to make make a mess of that mode as the SNR needs to be quite high for error-free transmissions. With that in mind I would imagine they would be motivated to not snuggle up too close to a strapping and well-filled out AM signal. Time will tell I suppose!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
WA3VJB
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 05:52:45 AM »

They took Saturday night -> Sunday morning off, or else they moved.

Or maybe the Aurora creeped them out.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 10:12:52 AM »

Probably won't be long until the guys sending pictures of Judy Collins just shoot a photo of their call sign and play it out every so often.

http://www.w5yi.org/page.php?id=124

(4) By an image emission conforming to the applicable transmission standards, either color or monochrome, of §73.682(a) of the FCC Rules when all or part of the communications are transmitted in the same image emission

Apparently, that would be enough to satisfy the legal requirement.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:14 AM »

Sounds like a very different group from the 40 meter bunch that does a voice ID before every digital transmission and has a very pleasant demeanor. Some DSSTV stations do a visible text ID in the waterfall, but since they are in the voice portion of the band I don't think that cuts it. At any rate, your description of the 3710 group indicates unwelcome moronic behavior in an area of the band that has generally been a peaceful place to chat. From experience I can tell you that it doesn't take much to make make a mess of that mode as the SNR needs to be quite high for error-free transmissions. With that in mind I would imagine they would be motivated to not snuggle up too close to a strapping and well-filled out AM signal. Time will tell I suppose!

Rob W1AEX

I have no dealings with the 3713 Digi SSTV group but I do know the fellas on 7.173 are a good group of considerate operators.  Rob is right and this is what I was alluding too in a previous post... Strapping AM would be more of a problem to them than the digital hash is to us... just saying...not avocating malicious interference.  Undecided

AMI#1684
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015