The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:20:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Group on 7160 Late Saturday Afternoon  (Read 8314 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: February 05, 2012, 03:35:51 PM »

While working on a project at the bench this afternoon, I monitored 40m and noticed an AM group, mostly from 5-land, on 7160.  Some were too weak, so I didn't try to call in.

Sometime about 4 PM local time, everyone  had signed out, but the frequency was still clear, so I called CQ before any slopbucketeers filled the vacuum.

KD4GNM came back, and then WD9N called in.  The group continued until almost 8 PM.  Here are the stations in the group:

KD4GNM
WD9N
WA9UEW
N5NLR
W5VGO
W6PSS
W5WN
K4KYV

Darrell, W5VGO said a group forms on 7160 nearly every day in early afternoon, mostly from TX and surrounding areas, mainly to get away from the 7290 No-Traffic Net. He said some of the signals are weak, because many of the stations run "barefoot riceboxes" at about 25 watts. David W6PSS and others suggested meeting regularly on the frequency to re-establish AM presence and make that the "national 40m AM frequency".  Everyone in our group had turned up the wick; conditions were excellent, with full-quieting carriers at times, but the band began to go long just about the time everyone was signing out around 0130 GMT. Very little SSB QRM the whole evening.

Maybe we should try that more often.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:00:00 PM »

While working on a project at the bench this afternoon, I monitored 40m and noticed an AM group, mostly from 5-land, on 7160.  Some were too weak, so I didn't try to call in.
Sometime about 4 PM local time, everyone  had signed out, but the frequency was still clear, so I called CQ before any slopbucketeers filled the vacuum.
Maybe we should try that more often.

So many AM around 7160 khz? Smiley
But the time.... I think not a good time to reach Europe....
I keep my ears, early mornings by me, around these freq.

Good dx,

Henk, pe1mph
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 05:48:33 PM »

It is a regular occurance to find AM on 7.160 in this part of the world.  There are guys who monitor that frequency almost every day so if you don't hear anyone give a call.  The other day I heard a couple of SSB guys show up on 7.162 so I changed to SSB to listen.  After they had identified and established contact, one said "Lets move up the band and give the AM guys plenty of space".   

There are others, however, who are not quite so nice so some simply turn up the power.  Almost everyone use as little as necessary unless interference sets in.  Most of the guys are there are refugees from 75 meters where all the complaints about bandwidth occur.
N2XD
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 12:01:13 PM »

If someone wants to get something going on 7.160 AM during the day or into the evening let me know.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:07:33 PM »

If someone wants to get something going on 7.160 AM during the day or into the evening let me know.

I would love to try 7.160 AM + or - QRM around 8pm central (9 pm eastern).  I will put out a CQ there if the frequency is open tonight.

John KX5JT  Cool

AMI#1684
WA8DRZ
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 08:04:18 PM »

There is an active informal net  Sunday afternoons at 3 pm Pacific time on 7160.  Most of the stations are in Northern California.  I just discovered it a few weeks ago.
Other 40M activity in this area is on 7293.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015