The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 07:56:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time Logged In, Server Slow-Down?  (Read 11443 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: April 23, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »

I just happened to click on "stats" in my profile.  It indicated an astounding "Total Time Spent Online: 100 days, 5 hours and 44 minutes". Wow, that's almost a quarter of a year. I know I sometimes spend a lot of time on the computer (retired, remember?Grin), but THAT much?  WTF? Then it occurred to me why.

Most often when I post a longer message, I don't just sit down and compose multiple paragraphs in one 15 or 30 minute sitting. I usually keep the laptop on the kitchen table, and whenever I come in to get a drink or snack, or come down for breakfast or lunch, I turn on the computer, add a few lines and/or edit the work, then go back to what I was doing.  Sometimes I might stay logged in for several hours just to spend an actual 10 minutes writing one message. The computer automatically goes into a low-power standby mode after a certain number of minutes, but I'm not sure if I remain logged into the server during those standby periods. Also, sometimes I simply forget to close the window after a session, and remain logged into the server.  I rarely click the "LOGOUT" button when finished, since that would require logging back in next time with the password; I just close out the window if I don't shut down the computer. I do try to remember to copy and keep saving the work-in-progress as a back-up text document to guard against evaporation, until it is finished and uploaded, but I usually do the composing here and not on the back-up copy.

I'm sure this is a common occurrence with other users as well.

My question is, does this tie up the server and cause it to slow down, and possibly contribute to its becoming unresponsive? Is it enough to merely close out the window, or do I need to actually log out when not actively using the BB?  When composing a lengthy work-in-progress message, should I save the text, close out the window, work on the txt document off-line, and then re-start the session and copy back into the compose window when finished?

I notice that sometimes the server is slow in responding; other times I get the error message "server not found, try again" (usually clicking a second time brings it right up). I don't want to contribute to slow-down, if inadvertently staying logged in while away from the computer might be affecting it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:05:56 PM »

No, it doesn't tie up anything Don.  I believe the time logged in is tracked with a cookie and then calculated from there.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:48:09 PM »

I think what Don meant is does staying logged in to the server slow it down if there are others out there doing the same thing, being logged on to the site and staying on the page.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:25:26 PM »

It has no effect.

I think what Don meant is does staying logged in to the server slow it down if there are others out there doing the same thing, being logged on to the site and staying on the page.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015