The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:52:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: K7DYY Super Senior  (Read 30225 times)
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »

Its going to be worth the wait!
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2012, 06:06:06 PM »

SHEETZ
  That was a rather common last name where I grew up in PA.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WA8DRZ
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 08:36:38 PM »

Well, the Super Senior arrived yesterday; UPS dropped it off around 11 in the morning.  It sure is a light weight little thing.  You can literally hold it in one hand.  I bolted it in the rack and wired up a reciever to the antenna and mute jacks and thought I was ready to go.  (I had previosly received his processor board and mounted it in the base of a D-104 mike.)  Oops, the reciever did not mute and the feedback was horrible when I advanced the mike gain!  Turns out that I mis-wired the connector for muting on the Super Senior, but no harm done.  Another trip to the bench and few minutes of soldering  sorted that out.
   I fired it up first into a dummy load and adjusted the mike gain for 100% modulation with a scope.  OK, let's put it on the air.  it was too early in the afternoon for anyone to be on 3870 but I fired up there anyway, on my new 135' dipole.  All was well at first, then upon speaking into the mike the transmitter shut down with an SWR FAULT message!  What the heck, the SWR meter reads 1:1?  Reset, and back to the dummy load and all is well.  OK, try my other antenna a 90' NVIS dipole down in the canyon; it works fine.  Turns out that the balun in the new dipole can't take the 1500W PEP that the Super Senior puts out.  It must start arcing and the protection circuit cuts in quicker than the SWR meter can react.  That is a good thing!
   So I backed off the power to 200 watts carrier and it held together on the new, better antenna.  I enjoyed quite a few nice contacts on 3870 yesterday evening and again this morning on the early bird net.  Everyone gave me good signal reports and commented on the clear, punchy audio.
   I am a happy camper thanks to Bruce, K7DYY.
Craig
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 09:42:50 PM »

Time for a better balun.

Have fun with the new rig!
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 10:10:33 PM »

Glad you got the rig.  AB7KT's sure kicks #$@.  Super clear audio. He made it out to the east during the AMTR.  I cant wait to hear yours Craig.  I am sitting in the shack now listening to 75 phone.  3870 has west coast am with the texicans blasting in on SSB.  I am currently on 3880.  There is a very loud buzz right on that exact freq. If you are going to be on, let me know.

I would prob just run a Sleeve balun or nothing if you can. One less thing to get in the way.  Heavy wire and coax should be enough.  I like and use the Palomar Slip on baluns. They work very well.

C
K7EK

ASA Lives!

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 12:51:41 AM »

Craig,

I moved up from the K7DYY 160m & 75m "Senior" transmitters and have purchased a "Super Senior" as well. I'm luck in that Bruce lives only a few miles from my location. I've had my Super Senior for some time now and can't provide too much in the way of advice. The transmitter just flat works without too much adoo..

If you haven't done so, I would suggest that you also purchase one of Bruce's audio processors and a good D-104 microphone. That's really the only way to go.  The 'DYY processor board replaces the original preamp in the microphone base. Use a scope to set up the audio. Other than that, there's really not much else to do or be aware of, except for having a lot of fun on AM!  On mine I have set the carrier level at 375w indicated on my 'DYY AM Monitor.

I just moved the 'DYY Super Senior to a 3/4 size rack along with my Collins R390 (Not 'A' model) receiver. I just need to hook up a couple of cables and should be back on. Unfortunately, I discovered that the break-in function in my receiver is not working. I am a bit paranoid of running 375w of carrier with no muting of the receiver. Not sure if there will be some fried/melted coils in the front end. I will have to give that some consideration and meanwhile figure out how to get break-in working.

Good luck with your Super-Senior. I think you will love it. I certainly do mine. I find that Bruce, K7DYY, to be very friendly and helpful. If you have any problems or questions, I'm sure he would reply to email or snail mail. See you on the bands.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 12:56:42 AM »

Gary. I had that issue with my R390. Its almost always a diode that blows that prevents the Breakin from working. Its in the PS. Others can help with how to get at it.

If you do not want to fix the reciever you can simply use a coax realy and a pair of contacts to cut the neg speaker line.  I ran one like this for 2 years before someone told me about the diode failure.

That SS is one awesome radio.  BIG signal and very clear audio. 

C
ND9B

« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 06:08:16 PM »

So I backed off the power to 200 watts carrier and it held together on the new, better antenna.

Hi WA8DRZ:

I have a Super Senior on order, and I'm wondering if my antenna can take legal limit AM. I wasn't aware that the output power could be lowered with this rig. How did you lower the power from 375 to 200 watts?

ND9B
WA1GFZ

« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 07:37:19 PM »

I saw one a couple weeks ago. It looks like a nice package.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 12:29:38 PM »

Hi Craig,

Been hearing your SS over the past few days,  and on last night's AMI Net.  It DOES sound teriffic.  Big signal,  clean,  crisp audio that is very well-balanced.  I'd be very happy to own one,  but porb will try to build a WA1QIX  Cass E style transmitter,  altho there may not be enough years remaining on my calendar!

Sounds great!  Vic
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »

Craig, I heard you last night on 3870. However, You where very weak into AZ.  The Texicans where on in full force so the Frequency was like a wasps nest.  From what I did hear, you sound great!

c
n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »

Steve k1mv just got his.  It came in last weekend and he brought it over to my place last Sunday after our usual Sunday AMer breakfast.  I did not open it up and peek inside..but we did put it through some modest testing.  We ran it from about 150W to 350W. 

We hooked it up to the QIX monitor and a dummy load.  I noted that when we started to drive it over 300W the power supply started to groan a little  bit affecting the audio in regard to distortion and I think head room.  So we set it up at 250W which seemed to be about right.  Good positive peaks in excess of 130%.  Very clean TX and audio. 

Not much to complain about the unit....it was amazing that such a small and light unit could put out this kind of power.  In looking over the prints, the obvious reason for the small size and weight is no power transformer.  The DC HV that feeds the PWM is directly off the AC line.  Normally that would raise a big red flag, but in this case the PWM supply is isolated from ground and takes care of any risk of a chassis shock. 

The unit has 8 fets...not what is shown on the website (only 4 there).  So it can certainly run at 250-300 watts no problem.  The is one annoying aspect of the radio....the fans are LOUD!  My mic was easily picking them up.  I was surprised the manufacturer used such noisy fans....there are quieter ones.  But this is not a major issue and there are some things one can do such as using remote PTT.

The VFO is a little odd.  Kind of clunky.  But it works and is very stable.

I think it is a good idea to run this unit through a tuna.  Kind of a class D feature.  All in all a very nice radio and Steve is very pleased I think.  For someone who does not want to build an E rig for whatever reason, this is a nice alternative for a 2 band AM TX.  Pretty much plug and play.

The price is up there, but any commercial product is expensive.  Some of the rice boxes cost as much as a small car...and can do a whopping 25 watts AM  Grin Grin Grin  So as far as watts/dollar this is a good deal. 

My .02...and worth all that.

~ps

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2012, 08:59:41 AM »

Hello 'PS
I thought the K7DYY design might have changed by now with all of the problems of past units and no isolation transformer. Not from Chassis shock but from connecting other devices (usually the PTT) to the PTT lines of the K7DYY unit. There was always a warning that a relay needs to isolate the TX from a PTT line from the shack. "Or bad things will happen" from an UN-isolated TX. And it did to me. These things are always accidental and poof there goes the final and some other components and a $100 bill for repair.
Apparently the audio and RF are isolated from the AC side of the TX chassis.
 Are there warnings about isolating the TX?Huh

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2012, 11:46:57 AM »

I'm listening to you right now on 3870, talking to Mike, Mike, Jim, Bernie, etc. I'd break in but I have a cold and don't want to give it to you guys. If you read this in real time, give MS mike some grief from me. He just doesn't have enough pathos in his life.

Audio is just beautiful, very, very clean.

Congratulations

Jon
K7EK

ASA Lives!

« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 11:48:33 PM »

So I backed off the power to 200 watts carrier and it held together on the new, better antenna.

Hi WA8DRZ:

I have a Super Senior on order, and I'm wondering if my antenna can take legal limit AM. I wasn't aware that the output power could be lowered with this rig. How did you lower the power from 375 to 200 watts?

ND9B

Yes - There is a small hole on the front panel, through which a flat bladed jewelers screw driver can be placed, to adjust a trimpot for carrier level. I don't think this is something you will want to regularly adjust as the pot in question will eventually fail. This is one of those set and forget types of adjustments.

It seems to me that it is time to invest in some gear (transmatch? antenna system?) that will handle the full legal limit. Why bother with a top notch transmitter if you are only going to cripple its output?  Time to dump the Mighty Fine Junque and the RG58 antenna feed line for something that will handle anything that one can throw at it.  K1JJ's Super Tuner and a antenna fed with "real" open wire comes to mind... A small investment, but pays major dividends...  Just my two cents  Grin

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

K1MV
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 11:37:13 AM »

I've had the SS for about a week now. As N1PS said it's set for about 250 watts out with 130% positive peaks.  I'm getting very good audio reports and with the help of Steve (QIX) made some adjustments on my Behringer VX 2000 and all seems fine.  I have had several shut downs when operating but believe I had the mic gain up too high.  After reducing the gain on my pre-amp all seems good.  I moved the unit away from my mic and that has helped with the fan noise.  Like Peter said it would be nice to have had quieter fans in the unit.  Peter is designing a relay for the audio out and thus grounding the unit.  It'll add a level of safety kinda like a belt and suspenders.  The only thing I have left to do is get my SDR radio to work consistently and then I'll have a 15#+ package that'll include the TX, RX and a computer.  The last time I carried my AR-88 receiver around was awful now my back is happier.

Bruce...thanks for a great rig!!
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »

This fellow bruce must be a busy guy.  I Know about about 6 of this units on the air in the last month or so and several guys are waiting for units to arrive.  It seems expensive but then you consider that you get full legal limit AM and do not have to have a computer or an amplifier or on the other hand, You dont have to have a 600+ lb transmitter in the room.   Every one of these I have heard has been LOUD and clear!

C
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 07:29:25 PM »

Very impressive transmitter,  indeed.  DYY Bruce also makes a Mic Preamp/Processor board that fits in the base of a D-104 mic (forget if this has been mentioned above).

If interested,  Schematics of the SS:
http://www.k7dyy.com/sssch.htm

Care and use of the SS:
http://www.k7dyy.com/usingsupersenior.htm

Pic of the guts and rear panel -- scroll down:
http://k7dyy.com/

The slighest nit that I'd pick at is that the PLL steps at 5 Khz ... at times it might be useful to  have better resolution,  but this could be a fairly easy mod (external DDS??).

I have no interest in the company.  In the past,  have bought Bruce's Mic Pre/Proc board,  and it works well.  I do wish him great success,  he seems to have a winner,  Vic
WA8DRZ
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »

Some comments after using the Super Senior for 2 1/2 weeks:
- Nothing major, it just works.  Flip the AC on and start talking.
- As noted above you can reduce the power with a front-panel trimpot.
- An antenna tuner is a good idea.  It likes a 50 ohm load.
- Yes, I have Bruce's audio processor in my D-104. It makes great audio.
- Below from a recent email to Bruce:
Complaints:  I miss waiting for filaments to warm up.  I miss watching five wiggling meters and seeing pilot lights glowing.  I miss the warm glow of the final tubes just before they blow up because the plate tuning had drifted off dip.  I miss the arcing and sparking of the 866 rectifiers and the arc-over because the mercury was not completely vaporized.  I miss the sizzling of the high voltage trying to find an alternate path to ground.  I miss the modulation transformer arcing when I accidently cough into my D-104.  (Above with tongue-in-cheek!)

Craig WA8DRZ
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 10:24:36 AM »

Can you imagine the sales if he made a 10 though 160 version?

C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015