The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:34:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Been out of the loop for 40m AM for a while - still AM activity below 7200?  (Read 18060 times)
AF9J
« on: January 06, 2012, 07:25:25 PM »

It's been a while, since I've contemplated doing 40m AM.  Why? Well, my antenna peformance on 40 was so awful, that even when not running QRP, people had a hard time hearing me.  This was bad enough on CW, but it was far worse in the phone portion of the band.  Well, by a lucky accident on New Year's day (I decided out of desperation, due to mediocre condx. on 10 & 20m, to give 40 a try - AGAIN!, and ended up being in a bit of a hurry, when I loaded up my differential t-match), I ended up using different settings than I normally used (I was surprised that the thing [like a dual variable capacitor t-match] had more than one SWR null - it only has one differential capacitor).  Be still my beating heart!  People could hear me for a change on 40, and hear me well to boot!  My old t-match setting must have been mucho lossy!

Sooooo, having new tuner settings, I now I have a hankering for some 40m AM.   I know about the 7290 AM window, but half the time, it seems to be a pain to operate there, due to the "no traffic netters", and BCI.  So, I'd like stay below 7200.  I know that after the 40m phone sub-band expansion, some AM was happening around 7160.  Is this the case anymore, or has AM become slim pickings below 7200?

Thanks for any info,
Ellen - AF9J   
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 08:24:37 PM »

Unfortunately, it didn't take but a few weeks for the novelty of 7160 to wear off, and now there is rarely ever any AM activity heard down there, at least during the evening hours.  Kinda like 75m below 3700.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
AF9J
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »

Awwwww, bummer!  Sad  Oh well, 7290 it is.  Thanks for the info Don.   Smiley
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »

why does no one seem to use 7190? that frequency is almost always clear here, usually at least enough room for one AM signal around that area. that's where i'm gonna try running this weekend since i finally changed things around here to be able to use the 40 meter dipole with the ft-901 and the amp.
shelby

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
N8AFT
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 06:24:18 AM »

Gotta time in mind?

73 from Lane. Columbus,Ohio.
kb3ouk

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 08:05:42 AM »

well, i was doing some modeling with VOACAP, and it looks like they best time to work anyone between the east coast and the rockies (basically up to something like 700-800 miles out) from here is between 3:00 PM and 9:00 PM, before 3:00, the band is really short. after 9:00, it starts going long.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
kb3ouk

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 11:54:46 AM »

probably the best thing to do is use below 7200 for nighttime use, and the 7280-7300 area for daytime. right now, there are qso's on 7280, 7289, and 7295. after dark, these are usually taken up by SWBC stations, but 7180-7200 is usually open enough to fit a station in somewhere.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2012, 01:13:48 PM »

The problem with activity below 7200 remains the same as when folks moved below 3800: a lot of followers, few leaders. When someone doesn't show up to start the part for them, the followers return to their old haunts rather than calling CQ or organizing some activity. Same thing happened below 3800, but a group of us persisted and there is plenty of activity found in that part of the band regularly. 40 should be no different.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2012, 03:06:29 PM »

I think 7190 is a great idea. It's usually clear in the afternoon after the foreign broadcasters invade 7290. I'm calling CQ now but no takers. This morning there were three concurrent QSOs, 7284, 7290 and 7295 Huh!!! I know old habits die hard but really...I think sometimes we are are own worst enemies. Plenty of open space.

Phil

I think therefore AM
W2PHL
Contributing

Phil

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2012, 03:41:49 PM »

Well that was fun while it lasted. Calling CQ on AM is like ringing the dinner bell for the slopbucketeers. Had a brief AM QSO with KB3GFF until I was told by Donald Duck to check the band plan! He continued to make noises for the duration. After I signed, a ssb QSO immediately started up. Hmmm.

I think therefore AM
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2012, 04:47:47 PM »

Well that was fun while it lasted. Calling CQ on AM is like ringing the dinner bell for the slopbucketeers. Had a brief AM QSO with KB3GFF until I was told by Donald Duck to check the band plan! He continued to make noises for the duration. After I signed, a ssb QSO immediately started up. Hmmm.

You should have indicated you were following the modified international integrated band plan and continued operating.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »

Just tell him the band plan says fone from 7125 to 7300 kc.

I consider it my burden to edgicate the unwashed. - You to can help.

klc

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 08:09:44 PM »

Or tell them if they can't find a frequency for their slopbucket QSO in the existing phone band, to petition the FeeCee to expand the voice allocation down to 7100, to open up that sparsely used 25 kc/s of wasted frequency space for some activity.

If they try to intentionally QRM, just quietly turn up the wick with no further comment.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 07:57:52 AM »

just quietly turn up the wick with no further comment. When you only have 4 1/2 watts its hard to do  Wink
I would have no trouble BTW setting a sched for somewhere in 7100 to 7190. Afternoons are not bad or havent been. I am running a homebrew transciever  > two tubes in the tx, two tubes in the rx. Screen modulated. I am about 1/2 through building a 5 tubes Am rig with a pair of 6AG7s in the final. Another low level modulated rig. (Cause I want to learn all the methods) I have two 6l6 based linears I can drive. Someday I may get a whole 15 watts AM out.

* amrig1.jpg (82.99 KB, 730x548 - viewed 1190 times.)

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 02:34:05 PM »

I would have no trouble BTW setting a sched for somewhere in 7100 to 7190. Afternoons are not bad or havent been.
No, everyone insists on piling on top of each other, and fighting broadcasters and the no-traffic net on 7290 or 7295

Someday I may get a whole 15 watts AM out.
Life is too short for QRP.

- - -
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »

I would have no trouble BTW setting a sched for somewhere in 7100 to 7190. Afternoons are not bad or havent been.
No, everyone insists on piling on top of each other, and fighting broadcasters and the no-traffic net on 7290 or 7295

This is not entirely true Don.  7160 has quite a bit of AM activity around Texas during the early afternoons.

AMI#1684
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 11:58:19 PM »

I haven't played radio in daytime for quite some time.  That's the reason I haven't yet got the 10m rig fired back up.

I used to hear some AM activity start up ~7160 about 4 PM and run well into the evening until the skip went long or the Ethiopian jammers wiped out the band.  But lately, nothing.  Last few times I tried calling CQ, no responses (I ignore the SSB gripers who come on and P&M about my AM signal in that part of the band).

- - -
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015