The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:57:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu Breaks With Motorola  (Read 5517 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: December 28, 2011, 11:15:53 PM »

From the ARRL web site, 12/28/11:
Yaesu’s Amateur Radio Division Breaks with Motorola, Changes Name to Yaesu Musen

After four years under the Motorola umbrella, Yaesu has split from that company. According to Vertex Standard President and Chief Executive Officer Jun Hasegawa, effective January1, 2012, Motorola will keep the Vertex Standard Land-Mobile Division, while the amateur, marine and air-band will be under the Yaesu Musen banner. The new company will be known as Yaesu USA here in the US.....
Rest of the information is here

As of this evening 12/28/11, I can't find any additional info about this on either the Motorola or the Yaesu web sites

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 01:13:47 AM »

Changes Name to Yaesu Musen

I don't think they changed the name to Yaesu Musen.  It already was Yaesu Musen back in the early 1980s when I ran the service dep't of a small company that did a lot of Yaesu warranty work, on both amateur and land mobile equipment.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 03:50:43 AM »

Changes Name to Yaesu Musen

I don't think they changed the name to Yaesu Musen.  It already was Yaesu Musen back in the early 1980s when I ran the service dep't of a small company that did a lot of Yaesu warranty work, on both amateur and land mobile equipment.

Hasn't been that name since the 90's.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 07:32:47 AM »

I didn't know they were part of motorola.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W0BTU

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 08:42:50 AM »

It was Yaesu Musen in the mid 1970s. My first QSO was on an FTDX500 (or something like that) in August 1976, and that name was on it.

73 Mike 
www.w0btu.com
WQ9E

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 08:50:42 AM »

One of the meanings of Musen in Japan is wireless and you will find other electronics companies in Japan use (or have used) Musen as part of their name.  A JA friend provided this information for me several years ago when I asked about the change from the early to later common usage of the Yaesu company name.

So basically, Yaesu Musen is Yaesu Wireless.

Rodger WQ9E
Ott

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 10:31:46 AM »

Someone back in the eighties told me that "Yaesu Musen" meant "affordable radio"...
Never thought about it till now...
The wireless/radio part certainly seems correct...
Perhaps there is someone who speaks colloquial Japanese on the board who could provide a meaning for "Yaesu"?
WQ9E

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 10:52:55 AM »

"Without money" is supposed to be another meaning but I think the way it translates is after you buy all of the Yaesu wireless you want then you will be Musen Smiley

But wireless seems to be the most common interpretation and some modern broadband companies in Japan are using it as part of their name in this context.

Rodger WQ9E
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »

Yaesu-Vertex was the only two-way (commercial use) vendor that made a dual band radio. VHF/UHF. Fire fighters and public safety loved these radios.
Ham FCC accepted type radios will not tune or be forced to tune into the commercial frequencies.
I'm referring to software controlled commercial radios since the late 80's.
Some earlier Kenwood VHF handhelds could be tricked to go to the 2M portion of the Ham bands.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
KC4HGH

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 12:50:12 PM »

No wonder Vertex Standard wouldn't repair my FT-857D....I sent it out & got it back just before this happened...they wanted to dispose of it and suggested I buy another, when it just needed a repair to the VHF/UHF circuitry and replacement of the display.  I made it abundantly clear that I wanted it back and it is still in full use today.

What a waste of $225, S & H and test bench fee....I'll send it to a third-party repair shop, no matter if they are Yaesu Musen again.  All the person would do was to read from a cue card and wouldn't deviate from it, no matter how much I reasoned with them.  A harrible customer NON-service experience....

Jerks....maybe the "new" company will actually have customer service, instead of Vertex Standard's customer NON-service....steering clear, anyhow, going to put my hard earned $$$ in a real working man's pocket.
Jim WB5WPA
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 01:37:56 PM »

Someone back in the eighties told me that "Yaesu Musen" meant "affordable radio"...
Never thought about it till now...
The wireless/radio part certainly seems correct...
Perhaps there is someone who speaks colloquial Japanese on the board who could provide a meaning for "Yaesu"?

"Yaesu" - a neighborhood in Chūō, Tokyo, Japan?

Named after the 17th century Dutch adventurer Jan Joosten maybe?

Truth may be stranger than fiction:

Jan Joosten , for his services to Tokugawa Ieyasu, was granted a house in Edo (today's Tokyo). The area came to be called Yayosu Quay after him—his name was pronounced yan yōs'ten in Japanese—and the name exists in the name of Yaesu side of Tokyo Station. Yaesu Avenue has a monument dedicated to Jan Joosten and his life after his arrival in Japan on the Liefde with William Adams.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015