The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:47:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ZRF Birthday Party  (Read 11480 times)
WA3VJB
« on: December 09, 2011, 04:21:26 PM »

Today is Dave Wenger's birthday.
K3ZRF would have turned 63.
If you're around, please join us for an on-the-air gathering to celebrate a guy we really miss.

Down low, 3705 or 3733, or somewhere in there.

* ZRF-Av.jpg (27.27 KB, 100x111 - viewed 848 times.)
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 04:35:23 PM »

why not bring it where everyone can join?
this hiding out down in the extra portion excludes a lot of AM'ers  that don't have the Extra elite class
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 04:47:24 AM »

why not bring it where everyone can join?
this hiding out down in the extra portion excludes a lot of AM'ers  that don't have the Extra elite class

NO!!! You upgrade!!  Cool  (Seriously Blaine, why not?)

AMI#1684
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 12:00:22 PM »

It's in the Advanced portion of the band, not Extra. The Extra portion is below 3700.

When I take a trip in my car, I chose the route based on the quality of the road and the lack of traffic. I usually do the same when I select a frequency for AM operation. Those who choose a road with traffic jams, pot holes and road rage filled drivers over a clear, smooth road with little traffic can hardly question those who do the opposite.
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 05:09:40 PM »

right, but there is no advanced class anymore, so it basically is the Extra portion of the band.
my point is if you are going to have an "event" why not have it where everyone can join?
yeah I could upgrade, but I haven't yet, i'm a lazy procrastinator
W4AAB

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 07:56:34 PM »

There are so many people in and around 3880-3885 down here in the South that I couldn't hear the Northeast in "da ghetto". No real excuse not to upgrade to Extra. I know several here in my area that have( don't know how, since they are space cadets). I was told by one of my Elmers in the 1970's, "Get the Extra while you are young". I did at age 23, and am glad that I did. I don't think I am "elite", I just want all the priviliges, and I earned them. The level of expertise I have found among AM'ers have convinced me that most of them can upgrade. I like Steve's analogy about the busy roads.
                                                      Joe W4AAB
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:27:50 PM »

Just remember, 3885 used to be in the Advanced/Extra portion. You Generals using that freq now are present day slackers. In the old days we had to walk both ways up hill in snow up to our eyes to get on that frequency. Most of us didn't have shoes and many didn't even have feet!

right, but there is no advanced class anymore, so it basically is the Extra portion of the band.
my point is if you are going to have an "event" why not have it where everyone can join?
yeah I could upgrade, but I haven't yet, i'm a lazy procrastinator

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »

Dave didn't hang out in the ghetto 3870-3890. Maybe 25 years ago when it was the only game in town.

That said the slopbucketeers on 3710 are more obnoxious than the idiots in the "window".

Shame it takes so much unnecessary R.F. just to carve a spot.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2011, 06:01:45 PM »

"we had to walk both ways up hill in snow up to our eyes to get on that frequency"

Well, at least you didn't have to live under a lake.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015