The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 07:39:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yet Another Light Bulb  (Read 6434 times)
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« on: November 28, 2011, 09:29:37 PM »

They're calling it Electron Stimulated Luminescence. It's apparently different from fluorescent bulbs which I suppose are Photon Stimulated Luminescence.  An R30 costs $15, much more than an incandescent, more than a CFL but much less than an LED R30.  They claim efficiency, long life, good color and dim-able.

I wonder how it works.

Made in the Czech republic, not China.

No mercury.

I suppose I should go buy one to see if it's a little RFI generator. I hope not.

http://www.vu1corporation.com/
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 09:57:53 PM »

A CRT of sorts?

The "technology" page says nothing.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electron_stimulated_luminescence
Try this link.

Bill

Bill KA8WTK
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 01:09:29 PM »

The system also has a power supply for providing at least five thousand volts of power (sic) to the light emitting device, and the electrons transiting from cathode to anode are essentially unfocused.

The level of RFI hash is likely to depend on how this is accomplished.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:31:59 PM »

In essence it is a CRT without any focus... needs to have really kick arse output from the electron gun/cathode. They say "barium oxide" - standard cathode material - but it must be a pretty big cathode to get enough emission, I would guess. This from the international patent application linked from the wikipedia page.

They claim 6x a tungsten lightbulb - I say WHICH tungsten lightbulb? One of the new ones that are built to blow out, or one of those that have run for many many decades in the NYC subway system?? Cheesy That cathode emission is the bug in the works, as far as I am concerned.

The claims as to light "fidelity" seem odd, since the phosphor will determine that, and they have no special phosphor. But they do not have the monster UV spectra from the typical mercury based lightbulb. Otoh, neither does the LED, but it also has for the white ones a high UV component (I am told). So maybe that works for them...

It isn't going to show up as a spotlight any time soon...

Interesting idea.

Would be fun to buy one...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
AB1OQ
AB1OQ

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »

How about this one I don't think this one will emit RFI like CFL and the one discussed here

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2011/11/25/can-a-california-start-up-change-the-way-we-think-about-lightbulbs-video/
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 09:14:43 PM »

How about this one I don't think this one will emit RFI like CFL and the one discussed here

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/2011/11/25/can-a-california-start-up-change-the-way-we-think-about-lightbulbs-video/
It's a liquid cooled light bulb.  It is pretty in a high tech way. I infer from the article it will cost forty five bucks. That's a lot for a light bulb.
AB1OQ
AB1OQ

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »

Yea it may be expensive but the article is saying that if you put one of their bulbs in a child's nursery it will still be working when that child goes to collage. 
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 10:38:05 PM »

They claim 6x a tungsten lightbulb - I say WHICH tungsten lightbulb?

_-_-bear

Well it would probably not last any longer than a Canadian-made G.E. 130V PAR 38. Got a whole box of six for $1.99 in a thrift store.

The dutiful employee warned me - "Those are NOT for 120V house current, they are 130V and will burn out - no returns!".

Rather than argue, I told him they're for a locomotive restroom and those run on 130V.

The chart at the URL - -sure has a rosy future for a couple of 'promoted' technologies. I'd rather disregard such pie in the sky projections for now and look at the relative efficacies as they are now, or 2010, which is close enough.

There is a recent development in incandescent lamps not shown on the chart because it is not ready perhaps due to costs.
A coating on the inside of the filament's sealed capsule reflects all radiation except visible light. The reflected infrared heats the filament and this reduces power consumption on account of the reduced waste of energy (heat). I believe this is a Japanese invention.

* lamps perf-improvement-curve.gif (262.64 KB, 1000x888 - viewed 397 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 02:49:10 PM »

The claims as to light "fidelity" seem odd, since the phosphor will determine that, and they have no special phosphor.

In the patent they claim one or more layers of phosphors and that the variable accelerating voltage can penetrate one or more layers to give different frequency emissions or a mix of colors.  

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »

DAM!! I just changed out my security lights to the high dollar LED units.

I'll tell you guys that it was worth the money. They are beautiful!!
$138 ea from Lowe's. 16 LED and no RFI and draw 20 watts. Illumination equal to two 90 watt halogens.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_217115-33229-ES303L42-28_0__?productId=3434606&Ntt=led+security+light&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dled%2Bsecurity%2Blight&facetInfo=

ALMOST like a Car dealership parking lot..BRIGHT WHITE light...you know the Metal Halide light

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015