The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:09:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing on 7141  (Read 41912 times)
VE3LYX

Crystals are from the stone age

« on: November 23, 2011, 11:12:39 AM »

I am tuned up on 7141 +or-  a few points and will be trying today when ever I am near the shack. I am there because my American friends can get there as well. Sometimes being an AM operator is like being a Quaker at a War rally. Not a lot of places I can hear it. I am not putting out a lot of power , maybe a watt. so it wont be easy but I am going to give it a try. 7290 and around is gone 70% to eastern broadcast station as it 7220. I Dont want to crash anyone else group but I would like to know where I am getting out. Anyone who would give a listen and a report would be appreciated. It is a tube rig (glows in the dark!)
Don VE3LYX

Don VE3LYX<br />Eng, DE & petite Francais
VE3LYX

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:12:32 PM »

Will be on morning and afternoon tomorrow (Saturday_ at every oppourtunity. There is some SSB activty sometimes just below. If it is a problem I will move up just enuf to get out of it.
Don VE3LYX

pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 05:52:48 AM »

I am tuned up on 7141 +or-  a few points and will be trying today when ever I am near the shack. I am there because my American friends can get there as well. Sometimes being an AM operator is like being a Quaker at a War rally. Not a lot of places I can hear it. I am not putting out a lot of power , maybe a watt. so it wont be easy but I am going to give it a try. 7290 and around is gone 70% to eastern broadcast station as it 7220. I Dont want to crash anyone else group but I would like to know where I am getting out. Anyone who would give a listen and a report would be appreciated. It is a tube rig (glows in the dark!)
Don VE3LYX

Oke, when you all use these freq....
I listen (monitoring) 7141 khz!
And give you the results, when I hear a station! Grin

Henk
ve6pg

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 08:41:34 AM »

..don..very successful on 7120, last sunday, 2pm...gonna look today for va3aex, and maybe sunday, as well...typical 3725, 9am as usual...

..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
VE3LYX

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 10:01:07 PM »

Henk Dank u well.
Tim I received my 365 cap friday but it is a mini cap with spacing too small for a final or probably any tube set so my plan to change it in the rig went out the window. So I took a 220 pf and clipped it in Too much. I may have to try a few till I get it. Maybe I will try a 68pf next. I can get close to 80 meters but not quite in the tank. the osc covers it completely. I had not included the idea originally in my plan but when I mapped the osc I discovered it was just as happy in 80m as 40m. The Pa I built covers it easily as well. I am also doing a rework on the PA this week . Adding an extra untuned stage between the Exciter and the PA final tube. I think if I have caculated right it will be enuf to bring the drive up to get into the more workable power levels. I know in bad conditions sometimes nothing gets through. In good conditions sometimes a peanut whistle makes it. I got an unconfirmed report today from the eat coast but it appears he heard me . I willl just keep working till I get it.  Tuned up a portable rec for the XYL and had her do some listening from a distance. Worked on setting the screen to the proper lever to allow good modulation She said the difference was very noticable one setting to the other so I have that sorted out. I sat on a DX35 today on ebay but couldnt bring myself to buy it. I just like building I guess. Anyway I read the mail last sunday but couldnt get out. If I hear you fellows on 7120 tomorow aft I will give it a shot. I am still going to work the 7141 on the hour tomorrow. 40M has been really open afternoons. Sounded Like 20 M on a good day.
Don VE3LYX

pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 06:29:51 AM »

Henk Dank u wel, Anyway I read the mail last sunday but couldnt get out. If I hear you fellows on 7120 tomorow aft I will give it a shot. I am still going to work the 7141 on the hour tomorrow. 40M has been really open afternoons. Sounded Like 20 M on a good day.
Don VE3LYX

The freq. 7141 already standing in 'memory' Kenwood R 5000. Grin
This morning we (F6AQK, 9H1ES and me) were on 7185 in AM.
But today bad, very bad conditions on 40 mtrs...

Greetings, Henk, pe1mph, Dokkum, The Netherlands
VE3LYX

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 07:52:47 AM »

Dokkum? I have been to Wokkum and Makkum but am trying to remember if I have been to Dokkum. My XYL has cousins (Peeck) in Schoorl but that is probably south west of you, yes?
The band is noisy today here too however I have a 930 AM sked  on 7141(9,30 EST) It is probably hopeless today but I will be on sked anyway.
Don VE3LYX

* hartleyatnight.jpg (14.45 KB, 448x336 - viewed 971 times.)

pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 10:19:43 AM »

Dokkum? I have been to Wokkum and Makkum but am trying to remember if I have been to Dokkum. My XYL has cousins (Peeck) in Schoorl but that is probably south west of you, yes?
The band is noisy today here too however I have a 930 AM sked  on 7141(9,30 EST) It is probably hopeless today but I will be on sked anyway.
Don VE3LYX

Don, I think you mean Workum & Makkum.
Province Friesland in the South, but Dokkum is in the North.
Not far away from Holwerd and The Waddensea. Grin
Schoorl is in the West of Holland (in Bovenkarspel living my uncle & aunt Smiley).
But I keep my 'eyes & ears' on 7141 next days...

Greetings, Henk, Dokkum, The Netherlands
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 12:48:22 PM »

What time? Todd - KA1KAQ and I listened for you several times between 0600 and 0630 Z (0700 your local time) and we heard nothing.

Henk Dank u wel, Anyway I read the mail last sunday but couldnt get out. If I hear you fellows on 7120 tomorow aft I will give it a shot. I am still going to work the 7141 on the hour tomorrow. 40M has been really open afternoons. Sounded Like 20 M on a good day.
Don VE3LYX

The freq. 7141 already standing in 'memory' Kenwood R 5000. Grin
This morning we (F6AQK, 9H1ES and me) were on 7185 in AM.
But today bad, very bad conditions on 40 mtrs...

Greetings, Henk, pe1mph, Dokkum, The Netherlands
VE3LYX

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 05:15:48 PM »

Workum Yes. my mistake.
We will be in the Netherlands again next spring. It is always very interesting to visit there. I can read Hollands well but dont speak it. Must be my square head (De)
I will keep plugging away on 7141. I have built a preamp of sorts for my PA . Since the TX works well (here it is monitored on a recvr some distance away   http://www.youtube.com/user/Don225slant6#p/a/u/0/5QPL-xgAOPk  ) I know if I can bring the power output to a decent level , say 10 watts I will have a fighting chance. Now it is just pure luck when I get through and it is never a solid QSO.
I will stay working on 7141. I should have my preamp deal working well this week. I am waiting for a set of 6L6 tubes to arrive too . I know you can push them a lot harder. When I try to push this PA right now it just quits. I have it working as of this morning. I dont have the amp idling properly so i have to kill the B+ but it works. is lighting my thermal power meter for the first time ever. From the brightness perhaps 4 to 5 watts. Today I will sort out the ruf spots intil it is functioning as i want and will stay testing on 7141.
Hereis the preamp deal hanging off of the PA. We sare in test mode but will switch to finished and pretty soon I hope. If I can get this pre amp amp thing workingas I wish I can put almost any modulated exciter i might make in front of it and be on the air. I monitor power in my ant tuners output.
Tim:
 I heard you folks in there today but I couldnt raise you. I could just barely hear you but VE3MGA ( ??) I could here S9. Anyway more power is coming. I will not quit till I get this deal working.
Don VE3LYX

* real power.jpg (12.2 KB, 365x274 - viewed 950 times.)

VE3AJM

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 08:51:06 AM »

Hi Don,

Tim VE6PG and I had a good QSO on Sunday afternoon from abt 2pm on 7120kc.
We'll keep an ear out for you. Do you know Ron VE3UGU from Belleville?

Al VE3AJM
VE3LYX

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 08:58:54 AM »

I believe I know of whom you speak. He was the guy who used to climb towers for everyone. He was a Hydro employee I believe. He was for many years a customer of mine. I dont see much going on at his house these days but I will check to make sure he isnt a SK. I forget his last name for sure but I am thinking it was Hunter or something like that. I drive by his house several times per week. Are you the one in Stouffville?
Don VE3LYX

pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »

What time? Todd - KA1KAQ and I listened for you several times between 0600 and 0630 Z (0700 your local time) and we heard nothing.

Sundaymornings we are often on 40 mtrs: +/- 7185 khz.
Between 06 - 06.30 our time = 05.00 - 05.30 London GMT.

Before I go to my work, Mo. - Fri., I listen only. Smiley
Mostly between 06.15 - 06.45 = 05.15 - 05.45 London GMT.

This morning (Mo.) I heard on 7142 weak ssb from the USA.
And on 7123 an Italian ssb station calling very long: cq, cq USA.

Greetings, Henk, PE1MPH
VE3LYX

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 07:41:20 PM »

I heard the Italian station here too. Weakly but I noticed it right away.
Today I took my first PA apart and married it with my preamp i built on the weekend. I used an exisiting circuit to work from so it should work. Tonite I ran out of daylight and energy and finally quit. in the morning I have to find the grid wire I soldered on but didnt feed out. Solder the Tank tuning coil to its tunining capacitor and I have three bypass caps to add. Then maybe.  It is supposed to produce 15 watts max. Then we will see. 10 or 15 would be wonderful.  I tried several times today . I simply need more power.
Don Ve3LYX

kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 12:26:42 AM »

can you test weekday I can try see if I can hear ya I'm in nwpa not sure how well i am going hear ya I should turn DX-60 back on i have not ran my 7 watts for some time but it's fun to run pw rigs see how far you can reach or just plain old pw no one hear me any way

Carl
VE3LYX

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:04:00 AM »

YEs sure can. I will test on the hour when I am in the house . Today i am running bare foot while I finish my new amp. Hopefully today or tomorrow it will be done. In fact I will give it a try right now 8:05 AM (gotta warm it up. )
Don VE3LYx

pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 09:04:48 AM »

YEs sure can. I will test on the hour when I am in the house . Today i am running bare foot while I finish my new amp. Hopefully today or tomorrow it will be done. In fact I will give it a try right now 8:05 AM (gotta warm it up. )
Don VE3LYx

The results!
On 7140 I heard fair a F1 station (from France) in ssb qso.
But I could not hear other(s) on this freq.
Around 06.30 (05.30 London GMT) I thought to hear some audio on 7141 khz.
Not in AM (to weak!), but in lsb/usb mode it sounding like very weak (am) mode...

On 7120 many Russians (sounding like...) in qso!

I keep on listening, from Mo till Fryday on obove freq. Smiley
Maybe more (strong) USA stations 'can use' 7141 khz....

Good dx, Henk, pe1mph, Dokkum, The Netherlands
kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 02:41:14 PM »

I was meaning in the afternoon but getting hard find a freq. for me to transmitt on broadcast been coming strong around 1 but i can set receiver on there if i hear ya i'll post it let you know!

KB3RadioDoesn'tTtransmitt Carl
VE3LYX

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »

We will get an opening. Today was very noisy. Just be ready and patient. I went on SSB for a minute today when I heard a VU7 station in there. I also tuned my hartley CW on 7141 and gave it a quick go when the band was quiet.  Today I recieved some 6l6 tubes from Ve3BJk (I think I have it right. Jim anyway.) I finished the new amp and have it working. It shows 22 times the rise on the tuners power indicator. I counted the meters divisions without amp and with amp. The power supply which is just a two tube amp with the tubes pulled and I plugged into the socket to steal power. You can see the caps empty as you make it work. I have a supply but will get everything working right and boxed in before I try for a smoke show. My monitor rx in the shack is about to have a heart attack. This is all encouraging.
I have to go out in the morning for fruehstueck with an old friend but will be home by 10;30 ESt. and will be on the minute I get in the door if it is clear.
Here is the new amp . I will make its cabinet by the weekend.
Don VE3LYX

* bigtube.jpg (26.29 KB, 365x274 - viewed 977 times.)

kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 08:07:23 PM »

going to say nothing there but slopbuckets!

Carl KB3RDT
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 09:06:54 PM »

Unless you put out a call on AM ... Smiley

AMI#1684
VE3LYX

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 10:30:09 PM »

They actuallly dont care about you I find. They just turn their SSB rig on and go squaking away. Anyway I have some power now so I will be giving it a go tomorrow. I will probably give it a shot in a few minutes too before I turn if if the band is quiet.
I have the cabinet half built. Trying to figure out a drive control for the amp much like a volume control in an audio amp. Then I can use it with almost any thing I might want to build. Control the grid or cathode.
Don VE3LYX

pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 08:38:26 AM »

They actuallly dont care about you I find. They just turn their SSB rig on and go squaking away. Anyway I have some power now so I will be giving it a go tomorrow. I will probably give it a shot in a few minutes too before I turn if if the band is quiet. Don VE3LYX

Results for this morning (30 nov., 06.20 - 06.45 by me):
7141 khz. totaly free/clean, no station heard.
7146 plenty ssb stations (IA, YO, K4, F5)
7137 often an IA (Italian) ssb station calling cq.
7120 many Russians? on air.

Tomorrow I listen again,

Henk, PE1MPH, Dokkum, The Netherlands
VE3LYX

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 10:28:24 PM »

Thanks I shall try on the hour in the morning 8 AM till 11 AM which is _ 6 hours for you I think.

pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »

Thanks I shall try on the hour in the morning 8 AM till 11 AM which is _ 6 hours for you I think.

The results! Grin
- 7146 many ssb, strong (Italian and France) stations.
- 7141 ssb, but it could be am-lovers. Smiley
Because 2 stations were talking and talking, no R/S and gone!
I heard one with a K in his call, the other has a 'dark' audio.
Both were talking over fishing, and other things. Smiley
- 7140 ssb, it sounding like Russians stations
- 7136 ssb, many stations from Europe talking with USA ssb stations.
- 7120 ssb, strong stations sounding like Russians.

Yes this morning, many stations on 40 mtrs.
I think 7120 is not a good AM freq., often in use...

Tomorrow, Frydaymorning, I monitoring again,

Henk, pe1mph, Dokkum, The Netherlands
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015