The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 02:16:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What if you discover a GPS tracking device attached to your car?  (Read 23696 times)
kd7qdu
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »

I'm geting in later here, but I would give it to a fisherman to take out in the pacific. let them figure that one out.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2011, 03:34:14 PM »

As for finding an unauthorized one, lots of interesting ideas here. If someone shows up to find out why it is not working, their arrest would be a good start. Police are obligated to uphold the law, and you can insist, if a law was actually broken.

That reminds me of an incident about 30 years ago, right after I had moved back here, and I was working in KY in a town just to the north. A co-worker who also lived in TN was in a hassle with the KY state IRS over KY income tax.  We don't have state income tax in TN.  He had quit the job, and the KY IRS people claimed he owed the state some tax money that his ex-employer had failed to withhold, something that he had disputed.  One evening two KY IRS agents showed up at his doorstep.  He told them to get lost, that they had no jurisdiction here, and that if they didn't exit his property immediately, he was going to call the police.  They left, and he never heard from the KY IRS again.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2011, 07:12:21 PM »

I never thought about it, but I do have one, and it's by my choice, unfortunately.
It's not GPS, but it does keep tabs on my commute to and from the salt mine every day. It is my E-Z Pass transponder. When I get my statement from them, it has the exact time I hit the toll booth every day.

I've heard of them being used as evidence in court. Go figger.......................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »

"Police are obligated to uphold the law, and you can insist, if a law was actually broken."

That must be why troopers never just give warnings anymore to speeders.

They give warnings in the hope that the threat of a ticket will achieve the same end.

If you insist that a ticket be given and the officer has reasonable suspicion that a crime was committed, I am certain the warning would become a citation. The 'insister' is in the position of 'making a complaint'.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »

An acquaintance was arrested and accused of being in a certain area on a certain date and time in connection with a crime. The evidence was inside the cellphone, where the cell site registration log was stored. (according to her the police got the evidence from the phone).

The acquaintance called me insisting she was innocent, was not in the area of the crime when, according to the police, it had been committed, and that her phone was not even working at the time of the crime due to a dead battery. She asked if there was any way that her phone could say she was there at a time when she was not.

She was certainly a petty thief and a wench, but the accusation was for something way out of her league. I didn't think she'd been involved.

I speculated that her phone battery could have run down when registered to a site near the crime scene. Later when she was arrested, there was only a mention of the start and end times during which the phone was registered to the site near the crime, even though she had moved on long before the crime was committed. I suggested that the phone would have stayed registered where it was, for lack of information to the contrary due to the power loss.

Her attorney called me after this, and I explained my suppositions but also said I don't know cellular technology very well and that he should consult a cellular technician or engineer.

Shortly thereafter, the case was dropped. The evidence was not so much in the phone but in the cell system which didn't have a new registration for the phone after it had died.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2011, 08:17:56 PM »

Op. Is there a link you can point to. I googled around for a minute and only see home alarms.

http://www.mysky-link.com/

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015