The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:10:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 450V capacitor kit  (Read 4625 times)
AB3FL
« on: November 10, 2011, 09:59:51 AM »

Does anyone know where I can get a 450V electrolytic capacitor kit with usable values.  Something with maybe 10,22,47,100,220,470uf.  All the kits I can find have lower values.  If someone can put one together for me from their JunqueBox, I would buy it

thanks

Tom - AB3FL
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 11:57:44 AM »

I always have 20 or so 10uF and 22uf for my kits. I usually keep a few 47uf around and also a couple 100uf but not the larger stuff. I buy these from Mouser and Newark. Send me a list and the next time I buy - i'll pick them up and let you have them for what it costs me. The 10s are less than a dollar and the 22s are a little over a dollar in 25 quantities - These are axial lead - the radial lead ones are a good bit less.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 12:01:32 PM »

I got my stuff from digi key and mouser.... at the time, they wer da cheeper ...

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors/Aluminum-Electrolytic-Capacitors-Leaded/_/N-75hqw?P=1z0z819Z1z0wrkm&Keyword=electrolytic+capacitor&FS=True

klc

What? Me worry?
K1ZJH

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 12:29:23 PM »

Justradios.com in Canada will sell you a "kit."  I'd select popular values
and do a bulk order from Mouser or DigiKey to avoid stocking up on the least
used values, as others suggested. Bulk orders from the American companies
are often very competitive with the crap Pacific Rim garbage eBay "bargains."

Pete
AB3FL
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 01:20:16 PM »

Well....Looks like another mouser order.   Time for me to stock up on some parts anyway

thanks

Tom - AB3FL
W4AMV

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:45:17 PM »

Try Bob, at this link, very cost effective. Scroll to bottom of his page.

http://www.radioantiques.com/supplies.html
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 06:10:57 PM »

If you are buying new caps I'd make an effort to source them in a way that gets you American made caps.  Here's why:  Overseas parts may be good or they may be not so good.  I've had good Chinese tubes; I know people with poor experiences with Chinese caps.  If you find a cheap vendor I'd get him on the phone and ask him where his are made.   If you buy from Mouser you can see the manufacturer on the product list.  CDE and Illinois Capacitor are good brands.  As usual, you'll pay more but you'll be helping to keep jobs in America.  Maybe the Chinese lytics are okay for a low voltage table radio but I would not use them for any critical filtering > 300 v.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WQ9E

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »

Also keep in mind that many electrolytic caps are not designed for high ripple circuits.  Most will be happy in vintage choke input supplies but with capacitor input supplies it is worthwhile to look at the spec sheets/recommendations from the manufacturer.   I usually buy 125 degree C rated (instead of 85 degree rated) caps for filter circuits.  It is worth the additional for longer life.

Rodger WQ9E
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015