The AM Forum
April 17, 2024, 09:03:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Snow Thread  (Read 34799 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2011, 09:46:06 AM »

Occasionally, there is a storm like this in May after the leaves come out, and similar problems result.

22 inches when I was in 3rd grade. I've seen snow in Vermont in every month but July, including June and August in the last couple decades.

We had numerous New England October storms like this one in recent years, 2005 most recently. This one was just had more snow. 2005 really sucked because Jen had moved up to VT a few months earlier and I had told her that we didn't get much snow until late November or into December. She was scheduled to get new snow tires put on after work the day the storm hit. Needless to say, 6 inches of wet snow wasn't a fun drive for a Florida girl. 1991 was probably closer to this storm in damage.

Diesels are way more efficient fuel-wise than gassers.
And, in a pinch, you can run them on any old vegetable oil. The exhaust will smell like MacDonald's french fries. They'll even run on lamp oil AKA #1 Kerosene.

If you can find and accommodate a small one.

Absolutely, Bill. My genset of choice is the Detroit 2-71 with Delco genny, used by the railroads and Ma Bell for years. They aren't portable like those little Hondas or the generac kits, but they're pretty much bullet proof and should last a lifetime. 2 cylinder diesel, 1200 rpm, they use a gallon or so an hour. And they'll burn veggie oil or pretty much any type of waste oil provided you filter the chunks out. This is because they use a positive displacement fuel pump instead of an injector pump. They're rated at 40K hours use before an overhaul is needed, too.

They come in 12.5 or 20KW versions. 240v 3 phase, 220v/110v single phase. You can get the basic unit and build it up yourself which is great for many of us hands-on types who like to tinker. Even the 'pay-someone-to-do-it' types can play, it just costs about double ($5-$6K and up for a unit with fuel tank, power panel, etc vs. $2-$3K for the base unit). There's a place out near you Bill, called Affordable Power that carries these generators.

It's the perfect replacement for you, Steve, though I'd agree with Johnny about the cost of gas vs replacement of that old rig you have. At least the 2200 lb base weight wouldn't bother you.  Grin

An oil change will set you back a bit though, as they use something like 18-20 quarts of Delo 40w. Unless you use it a lot, you shouldn't need to do one often. But if you want a set capable of running your fridge, lights, heating/cooling units, radio gear and will last for life, these are the way to go. You can even get a fuel heater for colder climates.

* 12.5kw 2-71.jpg (31.88 KB, 400x349 - viewed 449 times.)

* 2-71 Complete2.jpg (68.43 KB, 640x427 - viewed 477 times.)

* field of 2-71s.jpg (103.2 KB, 625x469 - viewed 479 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K3ZS

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2011, 10:02:00 AM »

Two years ago we had a wet 6inch snowstorm around October 15.   It didn't make the headlines because it was local to this area.   The aftermath of that storm, with the trees and branches down made it look like a tornado went through.   We had little damage around here during this storm because all the weak trees and branches were taken out two years ago and most of the leaves are off the trees here.   It must be frustrating to have a generator, but having the gas stations out of service.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »

Ive been hearing good reports with some 8-10KW Chinese gennies that use B&S engines.

I might get one as having to remember to run only one high current item at a time is a PITA with my OL and #3 son!.  The old 4000W Tecumseh HM-80 is about 26 years old but keeps working as long as I do a good carb cleaning every year.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2011, 11:51:35 AM »

The old 4000W Tecumseh HM-80 is about 26 years old but keeps working as long as I do a good carb cleaning every year.

If you drain the tank and run the carb dry, that will no longer be an issue.

The #1 cause for small engine repairs these days is gummed up carburetors caused by old nasty gas. (A little Sta-Bil never hurts either)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #79 on: November 02, 2011, 02:34:33 PM »

Another area where diesel excels. No carb to gum up, and diesel has a much longer shelf life. 6-7 years or something like that?

WA1GFZ

« Reply #80 on: November 02, 2011, 02:36:57 PM »

with 550 gallons in the basement would be good for my place.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #81 on: November 02, 2011, 02:58:53 PM »

Another area where diesel excels. No carb to gum up, and diesel has a much longer shelf life - 6-7 years or something like that?

When I started pulling the neighborhood kids around for our Halloween Hayride a few years back, I brought my little tractor out of hibernation. (it has a one-cyl Petter diesel engine) Doing nothing but slapping a fresh battery in it, it came right back to life. The fuel in it was more than 25 years old! ! ! ! ! !

It smelled nasty, and looked nasty, but ran fine in the engine. It actually ran better on the old stuff than on that new "low sulfur" crap that they sell now as diesel fuel.

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #82 on: November 02, 2011, 03:19:52 PM »

Mains power restored today at 1245P. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2011, 03:26:57 PM »

When I started pulling the neighborhood kids around for our Halloween Hayride a few years back, I brought my little tractor out of hibernation. (it has a one-cyl Petter diesel engine) Doing nothing but slapping a fresh battery in it, it came right back to life. The fuel in it was more than 25 years old! ! ! ! !

If that's the tractor you started up for us at Derb's Memorial Gathering, that is one bad ass little tractor. Sounds like it's going to spit a piston at you any minute, like most diesels. It would put any gas tractor of similar size to shame.

Considering that backup generators seldom get used, diesel would seem to be the best choice on numerous levels from fuel storage to fuels you could burn, in the case of a Detroit 2-71 powered set. As much as I like the old Onan W2C, it's still a gas powered unit. Hurricanes are a far bigger worry here than an early season snow storm. Certainly a small unit like a generac or Honda would work fine for short periods of time if you only ran one or two things. If you're out of power long term and need to keep food refrigerated as well as heating or A/C running, a bigger unit like these seems a better choice.

Glad you got your power back, Bob!

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2011, 08:17:17 AM »

If that's the tractor you started up for us at Derb's Memorial Gathering, that is one bad ass little tractor. Sounds like it's going to spit a piston at you any minute, like most diesels. It would put any gas tractor of similar size to shame.

Years ago, before it went into hibernation. (actually got buried in one corner of the garage, not to even be seen for over 20+years) I experimented with "alternative fuels" in it. I actually ran it on diluted /filtered drain oil, kerosene, scented lamp oil, used deep fryer oil, and other vegetable oils. All seemed to run pretty much OK-FB with kerosene and scented lamp oil being the best power wise. Pretty much ANYTHING oily would run in it

Biodiesel? ? ? Biodiesel.......... We dont need no stinkin Biodiesel  Grin  Grin

WA3VJB
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:03 AM »

Uh-huh,
Carol was asking around for where the aromatic lamp oil had gone.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2011, 09:21:00 AM »

Uh-huh,
Carol was asking around for where the aromatic lamp oil had gone.

Actually....................... That was one of the ways I got rid of some cheap / crappy-assed olive oil that she bought and I refused to use.  Grin  Grin

(she has now learned better and only buys the good stuff)

WA3VJB
« Reply #87 on: November 03, 2011, 10:08:42 AM »

Frank I always suspected you were an Extra-Virgin kinda guy.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015