The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:58:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A pricey power cord  (Read 65397 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: October 19, 2011, 10:55:03 PM »

...technology to significantly advance the audio performance AC wiring. It uses six close tolerance 16AWG, 99.99999% oxygen free copper conductors, each covered by an 85 micron layer of extruded silver, suspended in a dual micro mono-filament matrix and enclosed in the TSC shield. The result is a new level of power transmission efficiency coupled to superb mechanical damping and rejection of external RFI/EM interference. The separate, solid-core conductors eliminate strand interaction, hot spots and other artifacts that can degrade performance, while the extreme precision with which the TSC tubes are manufactured and arranged ensures complete consistency in performance. Let Odin feed your system and get ready for improved noise floor and resolution, increased transparency, dynamic range and freedom from grain, more believable sound staging, more natural life and musical dynamics, a breathtaking range of tonal colours. Suddenly the music will step away from the system producing it, taking on a life of its own, becoming a real performance – all because the power on which your system depends is cleaner and arriving quicker.

http://www.highendcable.co.uk/Nordost%20ODIN%20Power%20Cords.htm

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »

"There's one born every minute"

"A fool & his money are soon parted"

"You can fool some of the people all of the time"

"4 of our special 811A's will easily put out over 500 Watts in linear service"

Ka-ching$$$$ Wink

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KF7JAF

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 11:06:51 PM »

BWAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Effing priceless! 

DaveL
K5WLF
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:09:58 PM »

Never figured I'd see financing available -- or needed -- on a 1.25 meter power cord before. You never know, it might just be worth it to see/hear the "music step away from the system producing it". Can't remember ever experiencing that before.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 12:10:36 AM »

We going to beat this to death again. Some like to heckle and poke fun at the entrepreneurs. Some of these entrepreneurs probably can laugh at the hecklers all the way to the bank. Of course, there are probably very few here that have gone to a hamfest and bought something and dragged it home, that was dumb and outrageous.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 12:26:01 AM »

No, the "entrepreneurs" are laughing all the way to the bank.  I would market something just as outrageous and profitable myself if I were just a little more ambitious, and believe me, I have thought up a few good ones.  We are poking fun at the damned ignorant fool who falls for such crap with good money.

But OTOH, what if the bloke has a wife and kids at home who lack basic necessities because he blew the family income on such a ridiculous scam?  Dr. Brinkley would be proud.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 01:03:18 AM »

I was wondering why we didn't hear you on the air tonight Don. Mystery solved!  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 02:48:50 AM »

I was on 3875 for a while this evening.  Were you listening on 3705? QRN level has subsided.

I noticed the white noise signal that apparently comes from Europe was very loud on 3870, also on 3865. Last year I don't remember hearing them this high up the band.  Also several dittily stations between 3850 and 3895. One was right on 3878. 160 was quiet too, but no signals heard on the band.

- - -
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 12:06:13 PM »

The signal on 3865 kHz has been there for at least several years. It's not there all the time but most of the time the past few years. Another one shows up around 3855 kHz and another around 3815 kHz had been there for many years. These are clearly emanating from Europe.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 12:12:13 PM »

Every so often there are a few diddlies on 3878 and 3880 audible about 0530 Athens time.  There's a really loud fweeper at about 3730 (1 second tone modulated carrier), and between 3800-3850 there are a mess of diddlies and junk.

I haven't heard a trace of a carrier on 3875 lately, and CHU on 3330 has been VERY weak, only audible with the sync detector.  And no longer can I copy WWV on 5 MHz, but Radio Havana on 5025 comes in fairly well, albiet with a ton of multipath fading in the early AM here.  Condx, they are a changin'.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 12:28:32 PM »

Was on 3.875 recently and heard the diddlies there. This was followed by the story of Tron trying to confuse it off the air.

There's also something on 3.705 that comes in some night, a low carrier with occasional weird sounds. It's constant, so not a weak AMer trying to break in.

Was on 3.785 earlier last night with 'MPY and the gang Don, then around 10:30 or so when Jeff 'NBC was on. There were a couple PW stations discussing ESSB that he was hearing and I wasn't, so I moved down to 3.705 and worked there for a while. Some annoying static crashes, but overall better than a few weeks back.

It's been a few years, but don't the lower bands get crappy as the high bands improve during the cycle? Or maybe it just seemed so since so many folks migrated up?

KA2DZT

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 01:34:04 PM »

Todd,

We heard you break-in on 3875.  We turn it over to you a few times but you were gone.  Must of been just a drive-by.

Fred
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 01:46:02 PM »

I had some QRM locally but it was mainly the fact that I could hear you and Jeff great, as usual, and at least two other stations that were weak carriers overall. Could hear one guy talking about ESSB and nothing from the other. I'll be dropping in regularly to make sure you're behaving with your new found 813 power, though. 13 spares? That's all?? Grin

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 05:24:00 PM »

The signal on 3865 kHz has been there for at least several years. It's not there all the time but most of the time the past few years. Another one shows up around 3855 kHz and another around 3815 kHz had been there for many years. These are clearly emanating from Europe.

One last night was right on 3870.  I had never heard them that high before.  Hope this is not a harbinger of things to come. I believe it was coming from Europe too.  Much stronger (s/n ratio) on the NE beverage than on the dipole.

Condx change when the sunspots increase.  Less skip zone and close-in signals become more stable, but DX signals don't seem to come in quite so well, as ionospheric absorption increases. 40m becomes more useful for domestic QSOs at night. 160m DXers say DX signals weaken.  All told, 75m conditions should show improvement.

- - -
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 08:34:23 PM »

I think there are some on the 3900 range too. Similar sounding sigs on 160 meter but I can only hear those a few times a year.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2011, 08:42:14 PM »

Yep, those power cord are expensive but you could hang yourself with one! The cord would break on cheap consumer types.  

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 09:25:04 PM »

I was on 3875 for a while this evening.  Were you listening on 3705? QRN level has subsided.

I noticed the white noise signal that apparently comes from Europe was very loud on 3870, also on 3865. Last year I don't remember hearing them this high up the band.  Also several dittily stations between 3850 and 3895. One was right on 3878. 160 was quiet too, but no signals heard on the band.

Don, 75 and 160 have been el-sucko from here all autumn except for one or two days.

I can't hear *anyone* Q5, even on the Bev, from W1, W2, W3 and W4-lands. It's like a curtain has been drawn across the Mississippi for me. Brent, Steve, Tim and the other E. Coast tall ships haven been at my noise level or worse for at least three weeks now.

Taking the opportunity to re-tube and tune receivers, even dial lights and all, will be looking fer you and others this weekend.

These 75M band conditions really stink!

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »

Come to think of it Bill, I haven't heard you in a long time. Figured it was just a case of summer static, but it sounds like you're not hearing much from the right side of the country.

Had the receiver on earlier while working on a rig, just went back out and 75-80 seems to be in good shape with a lot of activity and a lot less noise. Been a long day here, gonna go shower off then go back out for a while.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 12:48:57 PM »

I did a quick scan last night from 3900 down to 3700. Heard the following commercial stations.

3895: RTTY
3865: Noise-like digital
3855: Noise-like digital
3837: Digital but more pulse-like
3823: Noise-like digital
3783: RTTY
3756: Digital but more pulse-like
3746: Noise-like digital

One last night was right on 3870.  I had never heard them that high before.  Hope this is not a harbinger of things to come. I believe it was coming from Europe too.  Much stronger (s/n ratio) on the NE beverage than on the dipole.

Condx change when the sunspots increase.  Less skip zone and close-in signals become more stable, but DX signals don't seem to come in quite so well, as ionospheric absorption increases. 40m becomes more useful for domestic QSOs at night. 160m DXers say DX signals weaken.  All told, 75m conditions should show improvement.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2011, 12:53:39 PM »

I often hear a strong carrier along with the one on 3855.  Not sure if it is the same station. In Europe, the amateur band ends at 3800 kc/s, so these are all probably legitimate stations.

- - -
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »

... so these are all probably legitimate stations.

Unfortunately, this is true.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 11:47:44 PM »

I listened some more.

There are also digi/noise stations on 3842 and 3918. DRM is on 3965 and analog AM on 3985 (many have already heard these two).

The RTTY on 3895 is actually three RTTY stations - 3892, 93 and 94 approximately.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2011, 12:41:20 AM »

The signal on 3865 kHz has been there for at least several years.
They have obviously been using those power cables.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2011, 08:51:09 AM »

I like how Don hijacked his own thread.... ..

klc

What? Me worry?
KA2QFX

Mark

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »

OMG!

I'd  love to know how they get the power cord to clean up that pesky rectifier distortion. LOL!

I enjoy getting a laugh out of these finds Don.

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015