The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:04:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Going Magnetic Loop  (Read 40282 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2011, 09:55:42 PM »

He's one of us. The guy is an Am'er and some here have worked him. I do not know his call...may even be part of AMFONE.
The vacuum cleaner might be intersting.

Fred KC4MOP
KF7JAF

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2011, 02:46:31 AM »

This is all very interesting!

I was at Lowes yesterday, and found a roll of copper roof flashing. 3oz stuff. I was thinking that I could maybe make a loop out of PVC or even spa-flex, and wrap it up with a continuous piece of the flashing. The stuff isn't cheap at around $30 for a 10"X20' roll, but it's a heck of a lot more affordable than copper pipe around here. A 10' section of 1.5" copper pipe was over $100...  Shocked Shocked Shocked

This guy in the UK makes a 1/4 wave wire loop and feeds it with a transformer, He even patented it. I may mount something like this on my trailer for a camping antenna:

http://www.g0cwt.co.uk/magloops/new_page_6.htm

haven't tried it yet myself, but it's on my todo list

Dave, KF7JAF
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 07:48:05 PM »

Darn I saw the antenna that Spence talked about and all I can say is wow. He swore me to secrecy. He wants to write it up so we will have to wait. I can say that it solves several problems including remote tuning and uses no commercial parts other than a small motor - it is all plumbers delight construction.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2011, 07:57:34 PM »

I just looked at this topic again.  What's up with all the interest in teeny loops and QRO on low bands?

This is like mounting a jet engine on an old British Mini and using it to try towing a house.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2011, 08:15:29 PM »

Welp Rob,
The stopping point for a loop was taking QRO. Buy a big 15KV vac variable and problem solved.
For the guys on small lots, the loop might put something on the air that would be pretty respectable, besides the Ham op trying to squeeze loaded antennas in a small space.
There is an AMer who uses his magnetic loop (K1QAR) and signal reports from those on this BB have said that it is a very respectable signal for a small loop.
My tri-bander Yagi just crapped out on 20-10 and I am going to build a magnetic loop to take legal limit for those bands.
I cannot  afford to keep hiring a rigor for $600 to take the antenna down for me to re-re-inspect and re-measure the traps and elements. The boom is probably full of water. The last time I had it taken down there was a waterfall from the boom after I removed the end caps. Shudda left them off and mounted anti bug screens instead.
PLUS on receive Magnetic loop antennas are a much quieter.
Hams in Europe use magnetic loops a lot.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2011, 06:25:57 PM »

Okay Fred FB; sorry for the misunderstanding.  I had some idea you were focused on 160, and 75.  High bands completely different.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 09:25:43 PM »

OK Rob,
80 and 160 will suffer with very small bandwidth. But for the guy who is in a bind to get something on the air on 160M would be better off with a magnetic loop. There are costs involved for motorized tuning for the vac variable and for legal limit AM he/she would need an expensive vac variable capable of 25KV and 100 amps.

Fred KC4MOP
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2011, 09:52:03 PM »

I use to work Ted, K1QAR on 160 several years back.  I believe he changed to a different QTH and I have not heard him on since.  When I worked him, he was using a small loop for transmitting.  It was up in a tree and worked pretty well.  He was never super strong down here but most times a good Q-5 copy. 
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015