The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:50:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who is playing music on 3885?  (Read 16861 times)
w4bbn
« on: October 07, 2011, 11:02:22 PM »

I hear what sounded like a portion of an old radio program complete with guitar music and some very poor vocal emmissions on 3883 this evening.  I wonder if anyone knows who is violating the rules by broadcasting on 3885?
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 11:10:03 PM »

i was listening to that and i know who it was, but i will say that it sounded just like a ham and some other guys were on a camping trip and there was some guitar playing happening. that kind of thing (hearing ocassional music) happens ocassionally, and it's no big deal, you just have to listen to AM more and you'll understand.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
w4bbn
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 11:28:57 PM »

I guess I don't listen enough on the AM freqs... I am dissapointed to hear that kind of activity by licensed ham operators.  I realize that a lot of hams today were on citizens band just a few weeks ago (thanks to no code and the dummying down of the exams), but that doesn't make it right.  I have been on the air as a licensed amateur for the past 49 years.  The same FCC rules regarding broadcasting and the transmitting of music on amateur frequencies by amateur stations apply today as they did many years ago.
kb3ouk

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 11:58:56 PM »

i can be almost 99% sure that the usual suspects have been licensed for at least 20 years, if not longer.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WA3VJB
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 06:57:23 AM »

Clark's got it right.  I was also listening.
Besides being prohibited, the guy sang way off-key and his guitar was out of tune !

I find it more offensive when a "net" fires up with full knowledge a QSO is underway nearby. That happened Wednesday with the CCA gathering. Makes AM or any activity look bad, and it bothers more people than some dissonant live music from a campsite.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 01:30:05 PM »

If you tune around enough on the bands, you will hear lots of things that may be disappointing. It has been this way since the dawn of amateur radio and will continue to be until amateur radio is gone.

Get on the air and enjoy your time. Hang out with the people you enjoy and run the modes you like. Anything else is just wasted time. If you focus too much on others you will be continuously disappointed.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »

If you tune around enough on the bands, you will hear lots of things that may be disappointing. It has been this way since the dawn of amateur radio and will continue to be until amateur radio is gone.

Absolutely. I seem to recall reading a column in QST from 60-70 years ago talking about much of the same behavior, including music over the air. Blaming the new kid won't cut it. If you don't like the tone, set a better example by operating in the way that you consider more appropriate.

If you're feeling injured by the actions of a net, suggest you contact them directly to work it out. Complaining about it online or on the air does nothing to resolve it. It just raises the noise floor. It's been discussed endlessly, for years.

As we've witnessed with losses to the AM community in recent months, life really is too short to let such things keep you from enjoying it. It's a hobby after all, and there's a reason they call it 'amateur' radio.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
kb3ouk

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 03:57:49 PM »

yea and i have yet to see the FCC do anything about this stuff, and i highly doubt they will, because it doesn't bother me, and i don't care, i would rahter heard a bunch of guys singing around a campfire while someone has a rig keyed up than listen to a 30 minute old buzzard transmission about their last trip to the doctor. they aren't bothering anyone so why worry.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 05:59:20 PM »

At one time the FeeCee was very picky about enforcing the regulations to the letter of the law. It wasn't unusual for someone to get a citation for going 10 min. 30 seconds between IDs.  I recall a story in CQ magazine about a CW contester who was busted for running 1100 watts DC in to the final, when the limit was 1000 (as if that extra 100 watts would make any perceptible difference in his signal strength).  And I recall someone getting a citation for music because his wife had a radio or TV on in the background and it was audible over the air while he was talking.

At that time the FCC had monitoring stations all over the country that were manned 24/7.  The guys on duty had time on their hands, so they would monitor the ham bands (and CB) because that was easy picking for finding some kind of minor violation. And most hams were deathly afraid of the big bad FCC.

Another factor that was different back then was that the HF spectrum had vital strategic and commercial importance.  This was before the advent of satellites, so this spectrum had to be protected for reasons of national interest and security.

To-day, much of the HF spectrum lies idle while vital military and commercial communication is mostly via satellite and internet. With tight budget constraints at all governmental levels, and the comparative unimportance  of HF, the feds are not expending a lot of resources policing the amateur bands, CB and other HF services.  Most of the monitoring stations are now unmanned automated, and the majority of enforcement actions are the result of complaints, not routine monitoring by the FCC. 

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 08:01:12 PM »

I agree with what Paul said, "Besides being prohibited, the guy sang way off-key and his guitar was out of tune !"
I parked the smug receiver on 3885 most of the evening while doing some bench work. The guy's singing hurt my ears and when the dog heard it, she ran out of the room. I think the guitar was tuned using road noise. Dumb stuff, but dumb stuff on 3885, is not uncommon.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 08:15:06 PM »

Dumb stuff, but dumb stuff

I love dumb stuff and people who are dumb that can't count past the number one, are my favorite people Tongue Tongue

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 08:17:53 PM »

Hmmm, sounds like Deer Camp and Ham Radio collided with each other.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 08:37:10 PM »

Don't blame it on us deer hunters.
My guitar playing sounds much better than that. Just ask Huzman.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »

Dumb stuff, but dumb stuff on 3885, is not uncommon.

There is always the wide-open spectrum below 3800.  Given the DX window and nets, let's say below 3750. 

If everyone in the AM community would upgrade (it's so easy now even a caveman could do it) and QSY to 3600-3700, AM would be the dominant mode in that segment.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 09:12:52 PM »

The guy's singing hurt my ears and when the dog heard it, she ran out of the room.

The dog's got the right idea.
Her version of QSY.

!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015