The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:01:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your favorite ham microphone?  (Read 41296 times)
WA3VJB
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2011, 09:02:47 PM »

RE20 or 27

Been listening to you lately Blaine, you've got your audio dialed in nicely. SO which are you running, the 20 or the 27?
I had an RE-20 in the 1980s on my homebrew transmitter.  It did okay.  A broadcast supply house came up with an introductory offer for what was the new RE-27, a big discount if you traded in a working RE-20. 

I saw the specs, and heard some good analysis of the differences, and went for it. 

Sure enough, on my voice the '27 sounds better. There's also the advantage (to anyone) of a higher output from the 27's voice coil compared to the '20, so your mic pre-amp does not have to work as hard, conceivably meaning a lower noise level.

Pause for this message:

From the ZRF Estate Sale, there is an Electro-Voice RE-27, with original mic holder PLUS the (optional) matching suspension cage, and a pop-filter.

Package deal. Those interested, please consider, and send a note to Dave, W2VW with offers. Proceeds entirely to the family.

It's clean, never been smoked on, and if you heard and remember Dave's voice with that low end, this is the mic that started his audio chain.

* IMG_4475.JPG (1580.44 KB, 4416x3312 - viewed 686 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2011, 10:53:51 PM »

EV has a new RE mic the 320 I think it is, priced to compete with the PR40.  I wonder if they brought it out to try to hang on to customers Bob was stealing away with the PR40.  I've heard more broadcasters talking about the PR40 and liking it. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2011, 07:06:40 AM »

Paul,
I am currently using the RE27, I also have a few RE20's and find that they are very similar in sound, and I can hear the presence rise on the 27.
i run them all through separate symetrix 528e's and 528's and really the only difference is the gain setting on the mic preamp and a little more high end boost on the parametric for the 20's, then everything gets mixed down and sent through the Breakaway Broadcast processor then into the E-rig.
I have been looking at the re320, its not a bad price and looks cool with the black finish

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2011, 07:04:05 AM »

I kinda like the microphone Charles Herrold used in his ARC PHONE transmitter.........

http://www.charlesherrold.org/know.html

The microphone was in series with the B+ and modulated the "carrier". A battle still goes on for him, that he was the very first scheduled broadcaster on the air. Even though using the spark technology. He lost out when radio stations went on the air with TUBES and generate frequencies instead of a tuned hash.
In the link there is offered a very informative background and ( I have) the VHS tape about this guy and his love of radio. It's about 1 hour long. Kinda like a PBS presentation.
CLIK on this link  and you will see some pictures and narration of his station
http://www.charlesherrold.org/see.html

Can you imagine the excitement over radio back then?Huh

Fred KC4MOP
AC4R
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »

Electro Voice RE320.

* shack 1.JPG (1501.48 KB, 3472x1952 - viewed 685 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2011, 07:02:55 PM »

Good looking set-up.
Is that a Gates/Harris board of some kind?
The switches look like those on the older sister to the Stereo 80, but the meters look more like an LPB.

I have not heard nor messed with the RE-320, so I looked it up just now.

Interesting response curve and comparison to the ones I do know.  Should be a good vocal mic for what we do on AM.
Looking forward to hearing you on it.

* EV-resps.jpg (292.35 KB, 611x1008 - viewed 638 times.)
AC4R
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2011, 08:43:20 PM »

The board is a LPB Signature 3 model S-24 , 12 channel with 3 inputs per channel, built in 89. Picked it up from a local TV station which had some older gear in a rented climate storage unit and wanted to clean it out to stop the rent. I passed on (3) 7 ft RCA racks , what a dummy !
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015