The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 01:26:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Astabula Bill (W8VYZ) SK  (Read 87007 times)
k7yoo

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2011, 11:15:10 AM »

Back in the "old days", of the early 80's, which seems like just yesterday, Bill was one of the first AMers that I became acquainted with. I was always impressed by his ability to make the most out of the least. This was always my favorite part of AM, before the obsession with "whats your serial number" and multiple elite stations became the norm. During that cycle 40M was where AM was the busiest, at least on the left coast. We talked about fishing on Lake Erie and other non-radio subjects, as well as the famous BC 348's! I made a point of firing up on 7295 last night and giving him a call. I listened for a long time before firing up on the empty frequency, and sure enough a slop-bucketeer came on to tell me he was waiting for a net! I resisted the urge to "read him the T shirt" and let him know that I was calling W8VYZ and amazingly he went away!!
RIP Bill.
Skip
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2011, 12:07:36 PM »

Many of us have some fond memories of working Ashtabula Bill.
I think the ultimate tribute someday could be some sort of annual 40M AM rally in his memory.

RIP Bill.

Jeff W9GY

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2011, 12:24:15 PM »

I sure remember our QSO's and also listening to you while "reading the mail".  RIP Ashtabula Bill.

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »

You really nailed it, Skip. He was a radio man, not out to impress with his collection nor out do anyone with his list of accomplishments. Just a true, salt-of-the-earth type. With a big signal.

I consider myself extremely fortunate to have enjoyed numerous contacts with him over 2+ decades. Topics from his training as a B-24 pilot to the BC-348 to the differences between his cigarette rolling machine and the one his wife used. It was always interesting, never dull or predictable. When you talked with Bill, you were talking with history.

A couple of later QSOs stick with me. One was after he'd been to the hospital not long before, and he was discussing going outside later that day to plow snow with the 'big' tractor. He was well into his 80s then. Another was listening in while he talked with a NH AMer and described a hornet trying to "bite" him. With mic open, he rummaged around for a knife and did the hornet in, stating "he tried to bite me but I cut him in two". He then mentioned hoping the grass would dry out back so he could go out and do some shooting later that afternoon. This was 2007-2008 timeframe.

Bill touched a lot of lives across North America through AM on the amateur bands. One of the few true legends in our ranks, whose character and signal will be deeply missed. Fortunately we have a few photos and sound files to help keep his memory with us.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2011, 01:06:56 PM »

I remember one time when someone gave him a new microphone to use. It sounded like ten years have been shaved off his voice. He  returned it to whom ever and went back to the gruffy familiar sound

This is Doubleuuuuu 8 Victor why zed sound we all know so well Grin Grin

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:16 PM »

I happened to hear Bill and Guy - WA4WRZ on 7290 last June 20th. They were struggling to hear each other as the band started to go long, but both of them were quite strong at my location. I grabbed about 5 minutes at the end of their conversation as they battled static from an imminent thunderstorm and changing propagation. There's the usual persistent slopbucket crud within the passband, but they were both crushing it nicely. You can even hear a few random words of what is probably the Texas Traffic Net on the same frequency conducting its "important business" at the very end of the recording as the band went long. It's just a nice example of two gentlemen having a chat on the 40 meter band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mB8jKUXfLc

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »

Here are three audio clips. One from 1995 another from 1996 and   one is not dated but it must be more recent.

* W8VYZ_02.mp3 (750.68 KB - downloaded 755 times.)
* W8VYZ.mp3 (1157.75 KB - downloaded 715 times.)
* W8VYZ_01.mp3 (987 KB - downloaded 697 times.)

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KL7OF

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »

It is a privilege to be in "the card file"......RIP
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2011, 02:39:04 PM »

Here are three audio clips. One from 1995 another from 1996 and   one is not dated but it must be more recent.

Thanks Terry for positing the audio clips.  They are some good ones and certainly catch Bill at his best!  Bill had that unique personality, the rig and that fantastic signal.  A tough combination to beat.    

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KC4ALF

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2011, 02:41:31 PM »

Although I heard him many times I never had the pleasure of working him.

R.I.P. OM.
WA3VJB
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2011, 05:42:09 PM »

Rob here's the "W" in W8VYZ, captured at that very instant.

Glad we've got this, the ones from Terry, and I'm sure, many others to remember him by.

* W8VYZ -the W is shown.jpg (648.95 KB, 1530x855 - viewed 1423 times.)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »

Attached are 6 photos taken at Bill's QTH when the AM Buffalo group visited him in conjunction with the Dayton Hamvention 2000, courtesy of Bruce W1UJR.  Some of you may have seem these pictures before.  The pictures were taken on May 21, 2000.  

One ham is N2QLS I believe.  I'm sorry but I can't identify the guys.

One picture shows 3 link-coupled tuners and one is the back of a big transmitter.  

* 8vyz+4.JPG (161.59 KB, 590x390 - viewed 1439 times.)

* back of tx1.JPG (150.33 KB, 387x590 - viewed 1426 times.)

* chairside rx.JPG (174.4 KB, 594x394 - viewed 1571 times.)

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2011, 08:19:22 PM »

Final 3.  I wonder where Bill stored the cheese and crackers?

* three tuners.JPG (55.24 KB, 597x407 - viewed 1370 times.)

* untitled.JPG (109.41 KB, 429x288 - viewed 1356 times.)

* w8vyz_1.JPG (91.02 KB, 424x280 - viewed 1494 times.)

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2011, 08:31:40 PM »

Ok, 7 photos.

This is the old buzzard sign:

* old buzzard.JPG (94.1 KB, 337x265 - viewed 1487 times.)

W1GUD

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2011, 09:35:30 AM »

RIP W8VYZ... The one and only!

73, Warren W1GUD
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2011, 11:17:52 AM »

The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio
September 29, 2011
William C. Dolvin

Star Beacon
— SHEFFIELD TOWNSHIP — William Charles Dolvin, age 86, of Sheffield Township, died Tuesday, Sept. 27 at the V.A. Medical Center in Erie Pa.

He was born April 18, 1925, in Youngstown, Ohio, the son of Charles and Gladys (Miller) Dolvin. William was a Veteran of the United States Army Air Corp, serving in WWII as a co-pilot in B-24 Liberator Plane. On Feb. 4, 1956, he married the former Sylvia Hain in Hamilton, Ontario.

Mr. Dolvin was employed at True Temper and was a 50 year member of I.B.E.W. electricians union.

He enjoyed fishing, hunting and was a member of the NRA. He was known all over the world as a HAM radio operator, call letters W8VYZ.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Sylvia Dolvin of Sheffield Township; daughters, Laura Sargent of Monroe Township and Marion (Frank) Houghton of Perry; son, Daniel (Amy) Dolvin of Ashtabula; grandchildren, James (Sara) Sargent, Mike (Katilin) Guzzo, Justin Dolvin, Maura Snyder and grandson-in-law, Steve Snyder; great-grandchildren, Katie and Ryan Sargent, Tristin and Kyra Snyder and Adelaide Kercher; brothers, James Dolvin of Odessa, Fla., John (Hessina) Dolvin of Hubbard, Ohio and Kurt Dolvin of Australia.

He was preceded in death by his parents; and a brother, Glenn Dolvin.

Funeral Services will be held 11 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 1st, at Gageville United Methodist Church, with Pastor David Blood officiating. Military Honors will be conducted by American Legion Honor Guard Team Post 103.

Visitation will be from 10 a.m. until time of Service, Saturday, at the Church.

GUERRIERO FUNERAL HOME, 6280 S. Main St., North Kingsville is handling funeral arrangements.

Obituary and condolences at starbeacon.com.

I just noticed Bill lived in Sheffield Township. That just happens to be the name of the township I live in here in Lorain County. It will be a memerable coincidence. Rest easy old friend!
W8VG

Eins, Zwei, Drei, Vier, Lets go have a beer!!!

« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »

I just tuned in and was so sorry to hear about Bill.  Had many QSO's with him over the years enjoying his pointers on subjects as varied as growing cucumbers and tomatoes, killing bugs, military radios, homebrewing......you name it.  My neighbor in VA was complaining about his tomatoes being all vine and no fruit.  Bill said to tell him to back off on the nitrogen fertilizer in the yard--which helped.  Bill used to look me up in the infamous card file and remind me that he'd worked me on four bands (160-20) and from three places:  Stafford VA, Los Angeles CA and San Pedro CA.  I'd always have to remind him that the LA qth was on an IC-706 PW tooling down the Harbor freeway on the way home from work.  Around dusk, he'd come banging into LA -- 20 to 30 over on 14.286.   

He will be truely missed--7290 won't be the same without him.   

Geo, W8VG/6
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA

Licensed in 1970, Terrace Park, Ohio
Formerly WN8HVG, WB8HVG, DA1EV, AA8PF
Colonel, Signal Corps, USA (Ret)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2011, 11:48:49 AM »

I can't think of anything to add that hasn't already been said, but though this was not unexpected, he will be sorely missed. Another pillar of the AM community is gone.

And another WWII vet bites the dust.

So long, and R.I.P. old friend.

Don k4kyv

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #68 on: September 29, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »

There is something immortal about us hams. Once past the ionosphere, our voices, thoughts and QSOs live on forever at the speed of light.

Adios, Bill.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2011, 01:14:21 PM »

This has been a terrible year for AMers. We have lost many good friends and some of the upstanding pillars of the community. As we all get older, this becomes just an all too frequent occurence, and it absolutely SUCKS! After facing the possibility of my own demise and also losing many good friends (some outside the radio community) I am finding it just about impossible to say "good bye" or "farewell" anymore. As their memory and a part of their soul lives on in those of us that still survive. It is up to all of us to keep their memory alive.

With that said, and "good bye" disapearing from my vocabulary. From my heart, the only thing that I am comfortable with is to wish them "Godspeed"

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2011, 01:46:34 PM »

The Star Beacon; Ashtabula, Ohio
September 29, 2011
William C. Dolvin

He was born April 18, 1925, in Youngstown, Ohio, the son of Charles and Gladys (Miller) Dolvin. William was a Veteran of the United States Army Air Corp, serving in WWII as a co-pilot in B-24 Liberator Plane. On Feb. 4, 1956, he married the former Sylvia Hain in Hamilton, Ontario.

I think that my first contact with Bill was once when I was mobile in Hamilton, Ontario. He made note of that in his card file and would bring it up in subsequent conversations. His wife Sylvia was from Hamilton, Ontario and they were married there 1956 ... the same year that I was born in Hamilton so theres another connection there.

During one contact we had on 40 meters, a Voice of America broadcast started up during one of my transmissions and Bill announced "You're strapping the VOA!".  I was running a piss-weak 40 watts so I though that was pretty funny and I'll always remember that contact. Everytime I heard Bill on the air it never failed to bring a smile to my face. 73 Bill.

A nice shot of Bill from his obituary:

--- Post No Bills ---
Steve W8TOW

« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2011, 03:47:49 PM »

Bill W8VYZ, was my first AM QSO in 1976. Discussed with SSB one year after getting my
General ticket, I found a Viking I at the Logansport, Indiana swap. My dad, also 85 years old
but not a SK yet, served in Korea, 1951 as a tank commander.
My pop remembered R-388's in the "shack" on the base he was at while
serving and found a great 51J-2/R-388 for me to couple with the Viking I.
Once I managed to get the station set up but was disappointed to find all the 75M
AM guys were on  3885 kc...out of the band plan for me as a General in those days.

After looking at a CQ magazine article, "No Harry, AM isn't Dead", I read there was
activity on 7290 kc!.
The next weekend, I tuned up there and got my first AM contact. W8VYZ and K3HTK (hot tea kettle)
were in QSO...I joined them and even though I was a only 16 or 17 years, they welcomed me
with open arms.
What a great friend....years later, I finally got on 160m. My first 160m QSO...W8VYZ...
vri 73 my friend SK.
Steve w8tow

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2011, 05:40:50 PM »

Sad news indeed.
My sincerest condolences to Sylvia and all of Bill's family.
I'll miss his melodious, ringing voice.

I'll also ressurect the BC348Q that John sold me. -polish it up, clean up the switch contacts again and..... just listen.

...yes, just listen.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2011, 10:04:23 PM »

Bill was truly an icon and a mainstay of the AM community.  I have enjoyed many QSOs with him over the years.  He was most certainly the king of 7290!  He always had a great signal and it was a lot of fun to talk with him.  He sure will be missed.  Rest in Peace old friend. 

73, Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2011, 07:06:01 AM »

A Found Memory of Bill was, after I built a one tube
regen receiver on a breadboard for the first time,, designed for 40 meter band, I hooked up power supply and
an audio amp, turned it on. Wham
guess first thing I heard?   "Double You Eight Victor Yoke Zebra"

Wow incredible signal, full blast. Of course, I didn't even need
a tube, could of got him on cat whisker with that big sig...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015