The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:28:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Worked W1GUD on 75 last night  (Read 2458 times)
w1vtp

« on: September 10, 2011, 03:25:44 PM »

Actually this morning.  Gave a CQ on 75 and W1GUD Warren answerd me from Tampa FL.  Conditions were really great and we had a chance to catch up on lots of stuff some 30+ years ago.  We have lots of mutual friends.  Glad we had a chance to talk after all these years.  The amazing things that there was NO activity on the band and then Warren just jumped out of the noise.

Al
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:00:06 PM »

Warren often will check into the Saturday morning Old Mil Radio Net on 3885 early in the session before sunrise mainly in winter months.  The path from New England to Tampa is pretty good at 0500-0600 EST.  Warren - are you going to NEARFEST this year? Was great seeing you last fall....or maybe it was last spring's fester.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »

I heard you telling this to Nick KG2IR this morning, yes, that's a good sign of the band to come.

Warren recently retired from his line of work and had told me he was planning on coming back to New England. Not remembering whether it was a proposed extended trip or possible re-location back to the old stomping grounds.

Always good to spend time with him on the radio.  I think he has that BC-610 set up well, which helps him make the haul up the East Coast.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »

He was on 3885 with us earlier but I had to sign off to go to bed to get up for the hamfest today.   I listened to him working Fred W8BX and Warren had a great signal up here.  I was amazed to hear Tampa at around 10 p.m. in late summer like that.  I think his signal was better last night than I have heard him in January.   I listened while trying to get a little work on mounting a meter done.  He sounded like the consummate classy AMer and a phone operating role model.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 07:35:35 AM »

To the best of my knowledge Warren, W1GUD and his crew from Tampa will be at NEAR-Fest next month.  I spent a day with Warren back in July when he was visiting New England for a couple weeks.  From what he told me Warren would LOVE to move back to New England but this is not in the game plan, at least for the foreseeable future.  His XYL still works in Tampa and they have several grandchildren down there as well.

Warren and his buddies from Tampa habitually show up at the Fall NEAR-Fest but while he was working for Channel 13 he couldn't make it in the Spring because the hamfester was held during the ratings "sweeps" period which prevented him from taking any time off work.  However now that he has retired from that position I am hoping that he will be at all NEAR-Fests, spring and fall.

I am happy to tell you all that Warren has accepted the position of NEAR-Fest Director of Media and Public Relations.  We are thrilled and honored to have a person of his great experience and talent in that role. 

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015