The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:54:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: COMPUTER HELP NEEDED  (Read 15870 times)
aa5wg

« on: September 08, 2011, 02:47:32 PM »

Hi to all:
I am trying to use some GWBASIC programs by W2DU and VE3ERP but can't get them to work.  I get a message close to this one on the screen.

"16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"  "C:/Program/Symantec/S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver Failed DLL initialization.  Close or Ignor"    If I click "ignor" the program shuts down and if I click "close" the program shuts down.

I have GWBASIC installed on "C" Drive (root drive) and also on desktop in a zip file if needed.  I am using Windows XP and wanting to run these programs under Window XP.  I use to do this all the time but now something happened.

What should I try to get the above challenge fixed?
Thank you.
Chuck
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »

You trying to run this stuff under Windows or DOS?

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
aa5wg

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 03:16:47 PM »

Hi Pete:
I am running under windows, XP.
Chuck
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »

Well known problem, just be super careful playing around in the registry.

oops, wrong link. brb

Here's the right one.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314452/EN-US/

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 05:54:03 PM »

try executing GWBasic from the MSDOS command prompt if you haven't done that yet.

Select Run from the Start button in the lower left corner. Enter CMD in the run dialog box. This will bring up the DOS window. Find the directory which the GW Basic program resides and start the GWBasic executable file (*.exe) from the MSDOS window. It's probably something like this:  C:\GWBASIC\gwbasic.exe .  You'll have to type it in at the C:\ (command prompt). It should run.  If it does run you can create a shortcut on your desktop and start it that way. You'll just need to know the path to start it and modify the icon properties to run from that path and to the executable file.  If it doesn't run let us know.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:27:42 PM »

Hi Chuck, sorry you're having trouble with my BASIC programs. The listings are very complex, as you well know. Is it possible you have made an error in copying the program from the book copy? Let me know if this may be the reason. I'll be glad to send you a copy of the program that you can run immediately. Which program or programs would you like for me to send?

Apparently, you already have a copy of GWBASIC, which you can run from the 'cmd' icon on the desktop.

Walt

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
aa5wg

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:30:24 PM »

W1ATR and Bob:
I did what W1ATR suggested and it got rid of the "close or ignor" window.  However, after double clicking the program icon a window appears an gives me the option to "RUN or CANCEL".  When I click "RUN" the dos window comes up for less than a split second and disappears.

When I try getting through via the Start/Run/cmd method the dos window appears lets me type in the path, i.e. C:\GWBASIC\gwbasic.exe or other file path attemps.  After these path attempts it tells me this message, "The system cannot find the path specified" or
C"\GWBASIC.EXE is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

What do you think I should do?
Chuckhttp://amfone.net/
aa5wg

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:45:30 PM »

Hi Walt:
I am sure the problem is my computer and not your programs.  

I would like to run your programs "immediately".  Earlier you emailed me copies of LINTRNSM.BAS, T-CLC.BAS, T-LCL.BAS AND TRANSCON.BAS.  

I desire to find the resistance and capacitive reactive or inductive reactive values along the open wire line for a center fed Zepp antenna.  Then, I wish to take these calculated reactance values (for a given antenna system length) and configure the link antenna circuit (capacitive series or inductive series or parallel) and adjust the link antenna tuner to compensate for these computed reactance values.  

Walt, can you email me a program or programs that would help me figure out the above?
Does this make sense?  Thank you for your help.
Chuck
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:52:37 PM »

W1ATR and Bob:
I did what W1ATR suggested and it got rid of the "close or ignor" window.  However, after double clicking the program icon a window appears an gives me the option to "RUN or CANCEL".  When I click "RUN" the dos window comes up for less than a split second and disappears.

When I try getting through via the Start/Run/cmd method the dos window appears lets me type in the path, i.e. C:\GWBASIC\gwbasic.exe or other file path attemps.  After these path attempts it tells me this message, "The system cannot find the path specified" or
C"\GWBASIC.EXE is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file".

What do you think I should do?
Chuckhttp://amfone.net/

Confirm that in the root directory (C), there is a directory called GWBASIC. If confirmed, then check in the directory that gwbasic.exe exists.

Also note: In your initial post you said, "16 bit MS-DOS Subsystem"  "C:/Program/Symantec/S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver Failed DLL initialization. "C:/Program/Symantec/S32EVNT1.DLL" is pointing to a Norton file.

W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:03:56 PM »

Chuck, as I understand your question, the reactive values found along the open-wire line can't be determined unless the line is actually feeding the antenna. If I'm misinterpreting your question, please rephrase it. As I (mis)understand it, I don't think it's a practical procedure.

Walt

aa5wg

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 08:05:55 AM »

Pete:
I went to "Start/My Computer/Local Disk (C:)".  In C: Drive I saw a small blue and white looking disk labeled GWBASIC.EXE.

C:\Program\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL no longer comes up because I executed the Windows Registry fix suggested by W1ATR.

Walt:  I have a 75 meter center fed zepp antenna I  use for testing on the air.  I can add or subtract lengths of feed line to change from voltage feed to current feed at a specified frequency.  The total length of this antenna system is measured in quarter wavelengths at a desired frequency to achieve either high impedance (voltage feed with parallel arrangement of the link antenna coupler) or low impedance (current feed with series arrangement of the link antenna coupler).

I want to add one 1/8 electrical wavelength of transmission line (at a specified frequency)to make the tuning difficult for the link antenna coupler.   And, I need a way to determine the reactance value at this now 1/8 multiple antenna system electrical length.

I am not sure but it seems I read in an old ARRL antenna book that the maximum reactance for a relative 600 ohm feed system would be 600 ohms of reactance, 450 ohms for a 450 ohm feed system, etc.  

I will have to find the book and read it again.

I would like to setup a difficult highly reactive antenna system length in advance (antenna system length measures in 1/8 electrical wavelengths) to see how the link antenna coupler performs in series and parallel configuration.  I would then apply these difficult reactance values for appropriate series or shunt reactances to help bring the system into resonance.  This would be accomplished using either parallel or series tuning of the link antenna coupler.     

Thank you for your patience.  

Chuck

aa5wg

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 09:36:20 AM »

I just remembered something.  When I completed the above registry clean up, post #3, there was a statement which said in effect if this registry cleanup did not fix your problem then check to see if your "Command.com" file is the correct version. 

I could not figure out how to check this "Command.com" thing out.
Chuck
KA3ZLR
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 09:40:26 AM »

Hi,

I was having problems awhile ago before I got sick and I shitcanned the whole machine Wife bought me a Spanking new Dell Inspiron lap toop :-) and she bought a large flat screen for me to see better
and so Far No problems, I got tired of fighting with older stuff...

Jack
KA3ZLR
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »

Chuck, the reactance of an open-circuit xsmn line equals cot angle theta x Zo, where theta is the angle of the electrical length of the line, and Zo is the characteristic impedance of the line. A line 1/8 wl 45°, and since the cot 45° = 1, the reactance of an open-circuited 1/8 wl line = Zo.

If the line were short circuited the reactance equals tan angle theta x Zo. If the line is less than 1/8 wl the reactance is inductive, and greater than 1/8 wl the reactance is capacitive.

If the line were open circuited and less than 1/8 wl the reactance is capacitive, and if greater than 1/8 wl is inductive

Hope this helps.

Walt

aa5wg

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 09:58:51 PM »

Walt:
Thank you.  I will give this information a go.
Chuck
aa5wg

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 07:27:02 PM »

Anyone else have an idea how to fix this computer to work GWBASIC programs.  The machine runs XP 32 bit.
Chuck
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 10:15:52 PM »

Chuck, doesn't your GWBASIC program have gwbasic.exe? If it does, and you bring up the exe, you should then be able to enter my basic programs after hitting 'load'. That should bring up the basic program, and then you can either ask for 'list' or 'run'.

Have you tried any of the above?

I'll try to help you further if possible.

Walt

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 03:53:08 AM »

I downloaded GWBASIC on to my 32 bit XP machine. After executing gwbasic.exe, I loaded (F3) a .bas file; then clicked F2 to run it. You can also load a file by typing Load "filename"; then type RUN. No problems here.

aa5wg

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 09:38:21 PM »

Walt and Pete:
Yes I have GWBASIC.EXE.  I double clicked it and then clicked run.  This brings up the black window.  However when I type in "T-LCL.BAS" and hit enter I get a Syntax Error.  Using this manual method does not work for me.  I must be doing something wrong.

I then copied and pasted your programs onto the root directory, C: drive.  I now double click one of your program files on desktop, i.e. T-LCL.Bas and the program seems to come alive.  It ask for "INPUT R = ?"

Chuck

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 11:19:50 PM »

Walt and Pete:
Yes I have GWBASIC.EXE.  I double clicked it and then clicked run.  This brings up the black window.  However when I type in "T-LCL.BAS" and hit enter I get a Syntax Error.  Using this manual method does not work for me.  I must be doing something wrong.

I then copied and pasted your programs onto the root directory, C: drive.  I now double click one of your program files on desktop, i.e. T-LCL.Bas and the program seems to come alive.  It ask for "INPUT R = ?"

Chuck

You didn't catch what I wrote.  First you execute GWBASIC. Then you load a file by typing Load "filename"; then type RUN. If you type Load "filename", the file has to be in the same directory as GWBASIC. If the file is in some other directory on the C drive, then you type Load C:\someotherdirectory\"filename". After it loads, type RUN. On most GWBASIC versions, you can also use the Function Keys, F3 for Load, F2 for Run.

aa5wg

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 07:53:39 AM »

Pete:
I will try again, tonight, when I get back from work.
Stick with me on this.
Chuck
W2DU
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »

Chuck, when you get 'R' to come up, that's the first request for input data. Just enter the data for the first 'R' and then the request for the next input data is asked for. Just continue on, answering the questions, and the program will continue until the final answer is displayed.

I'm assuming you don't have a copy of Reflections. What you need therefore, is a copy of Chapter 15, which you can download from my web page at www.w2du.com. Click on 'Read Pages from Reflections 2', and then on Chapter 15, where you'll find all the info you need to operate all of my BASIC programs that appear there.

If you'd like more more of my BASIC programs that appear in Chapter 15, please let me know and I'll email them to you.

GL

Walt

aa5wg

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 08:53:18 PM »

Walt:
I will check out your link reference to Chapter 15.  I do have your books.  I will keep in touch.  I am working long hours so may not get a real chance to work with your BASIC program until Sunday.  I will keep in touch.
Thank you for your help!
Chuck
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015