The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:52:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good 75 conditions  (Read 14989 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« on: September 06, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »

Made a lot of repairs to station and antennas, been on 75 last two nights. Conditions have been excellent for early fall. Solid sigs out to W8 land, low QRN.

But haven't heard any activity out of the east coast. Fire those mauls up!

Bill
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 11:29:29 AM »

Last night, about 11PM, suddenly a loud hissing atmospheric white noise enveloped the band, but no QRN and very few signals of any mode. I called CQ, and a weak carrier came back, unreadable. Tried the beverage and transmitting antenna, but couldn't make him out.  Then switched over to the 10m ground plane for receiving antenna, was able to read him perfectly. Bill in Washington state, running 100 watts. We carried on for about 30 minutes. He said I was "10 over".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »

Will look for you this evening, Don.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »

We had some static crashes here last night preceding the storms, but overall it wasn't too bad. Worked Jean F6AQK on 80m and Pete WA2CWA shortly thereafter. Got email from PE1BIW Martin in the Netherlands earlier saying that he heard me well enough to pick up my call.

Heard Skip K7YOO and Robert 'VMC up in the 75m portion earlier, but their signals had some wobbly fading on them, almost sounded like aurora. So I didn't try to jump in.

Will be listening tonight if wx permits. Storms and ternader warnings & watches here since 5:30AM. I got about 4 hours sleep!

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 04:10:50 PM »

I am thinking that early season on 75 and 160 are going to be excellent due to a generally quiet sun.

It would be a dream for me to work into Europe on 80. Maybe four hops, three of them over land. It's 2,500 miles from here to W1 land.

I will never forget when I was a 9 in Illinois some 30 years ago, I was chatting on 75 SSB with some midwest friends when a ZL broke in in the wee hours, he must have been +20.

So I ain't giving up hope for EU on AM someday. The Beverage is kicking butt towards some 45 degrees. That would be towards F or Netherlands from here. W1 and W2.The 304s are a'smoking now into a double extended-zepp @ 140'.

I am thinking of trying an 80M Delta Loop or quad loop, but those would lower the effective height of the transmitting antenna.
KC2VDM
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 06:13:30 PM »

I'm on 3.885 right now, listening in, probably CQ in a few minutes. Never TX'd on AM before. Hope conditions are good! Smiley

-Alex
KC2VDM
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »

Your best shot might be to hook up with Jaakko, OH1TX via long path propagation. He's worked to the West Coast on AM with just 100 Watts in the past. He has some very good antennas and can run power too.

I am thinking that early season on 75 and 160 are going to be excellent due to a generally quiet sun.

It would be a dream for me to work into Europe on 80. Maybe four hops, three of them over land. It's 2,500 miles from here to W1 land.

I will never forget when I was a 9 in Illinois some 30 years ago, I was chatting on 75 SSB with some midwest friends when a ZL broke in in the wee hours, he must have been +20.

So I ain't giving up hope for EU on AM someday. The Beverage is kicking butt towards some 45 degrees. That would be towards F or Netherlands from here. W1 and W2.The 304s are a'smoking now into a double extended-zepp @ 140'.

I am thinking of trying an 80M Delta Loop or quad loop, but those would lower the effective height of the transmitting antenna.

* oh1tx9jan090527z3766.mp3 (938.91 KB - downloaded 614 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 10:21:02 PM »

Heard Bill HG working K0EEO on 3880, earlier heard the N2 Blaine, W2NBC, HLR, and could it be, 51 watts Fred? on 85, then after a time they faded and some midwest stations came in on 80 along with QRM from some bucketing on 3878 then I called it a night because I took today off but have to go back to work in the morning.  I didn't call anyone because I was working on some meter enclosures. 

Heard Bill QGD over in pac northwest last night calling CQ around 9:30 pacific time but I had already turned almost everything off and didn't have the vertical set up.  I bet condx are really great around 1 a.m. I just can't stay up that late.

almost forgot--heard KG8LB earlier this evening on 3885 I think, with a pretty strong sig. and good audio.  I'm starting to feel like a swl.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 10:38:07 PM »

Martin said in his email from NL today that he's working on a HB 200-250 watt rig, so he should come it well also. He said Jean is running around 260 watts, and he comes in quite well most nights. He was 5-10 over a couple times last night.

Still dealing with some lingering T-storms down around Cary and Chapel Hill, so it's not looking like I'll make it on tonight. Hopefully this crap will be gone tomorrow and things will quiet down.

pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 09:00:56 AM »

Hello AM Lovers!

- This morning on +/- 3707 khz:
F6AQK and PA3FAU

- On 3885 am from the USA.
A station with in his call: ??QIX?
Good to copy S5, but very short on air!
Often only a few words....

He were talking with others Grin, but their signals very weak.

- And... on mediumwave:
On 1510 and 1660 khz good to receive broadcasters from the USA! Smiley

Greetings,

pe1mph / Henk
Dokkum / Holland
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 01:26:06 PM »

AM was well-represented on 75 last night and this morning. Static was present, but quite low overall. Some fading, but great signals overall. Heard groups from 0-Land MN on 3885 and a group from 5-land on 3890. Also heard Pete 'CWA calling CQ on 3875, so we chatted for a bit before being joined by the ol' N3JUH Jim in Bethlehem PA on the Globe King. Moved up to 3885 later and worked Rob 'UJ, Brandon 'IIA, and KE6 station who is actually here in NC.

Looking forward to more good operating ahead.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 01:46:53 PM »

The Olde Glob Queen.
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 08:59:23 AM »

Hello AM Lovers,

This morning many AM on 3875 khz.
One station with very good signal.
I think WA1QIX (Steve).

Sorry but, as usuale, to difficult to get calls/names!
There were more stations on that freq.

Evenso a PA station were calling to them on 3875!!
A pity for him, the USA AM Lovers did not heard him!  Cry

Good choice this freq., because on 3885 'rtty' signals.

Greetings,

Henk / pe1mph
Dokkum / The Netherlands
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015