The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:49:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The fraud called Irene (Cape Cod)-video  (Read 39176 times)
W2JRO

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »

The fraud also has caused the nys thruway to be shutdown for 3 days over a 100 mile stretch. In addition, the worst flooding the mohawk river has seen since 1920 has been caused by the fraud.
Burt
« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2011, 08:23:20 PM »

The fraud also has caused the nys thruway to be shutdown for 3 days over a 100 mile stretch. In addition, the worst flooding the mohawk river has seen since 1920 has been caused by the fraud.

I guess you missed in the title I was referring to Cape Cod
"The fraud called Irene (Cape Cod)-video"
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2011, 08:32:42 PM »

Some of today's news from "The Register":

CAPE COD — Approximately 16,000 Cape Cod NStar customers were still without power as of 8 a.m. Tuesday, according to NStar spokesman Mike Durand.

Read more: 16,000 without power on Cape - - Wicked Local - Cape Cod http://www.wickedlocal.com/capecod/archive/x1698393819/16-000-without-power-on-Cape#ixzz1WYuWBDq6

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2011, 10:05:02 PM »

They got major damage in Vermont, both flooding and wind damage. I'd say it's a good likelihood that Blown-Away-Bob's station might have sustained heavy damage or have been inundated. If the storm had continued straight up the coastline and not veered west, the damage in NYC and even on the Cape might have indeed been of the apocalyptic proportions hyped via the media.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2JRO

« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2011, 10:05:46 PM »

I guess you missed in the title I was referring to Cape Cod
"The fraud called Irene (Cape Cod)-video"
No, I didn't ...but I did catch your sarcasm loud and clear. I'm glad Irene spared cape cod, but the common mantra that this storm was over-hyped depends on where you live.

Burt
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2011, 10:46:25 PM »

Some of today's news from "The Register":

CAPE COD — Approximately 16,000 Cape Cod NStar customers were still without power as of 8 a.m. Tuesday, according to NStar spokesman Mike Durand.

Read more: 16,000 without power on Cape - - Wicked Local - Cape Cod http://www.wickedlocal.com/capecod/archive/x1698393819/16-000-without-power-on-Cape#ixzz1WYuWBDq6
It sort of depends 16,000 out of how many. Summer population is close to 500,000
In winter storms 16,000 is a tiny number. Hurricane Bob, a real hurricane was 100% without power, most 4 days or longer
Burt
Burt
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2011, 10:47:52 PM »

They got major damage in Vermont, both flooding and wind damage. I'd say it's a good likelihood that Blown-Away-Bob's station might have sustained heavy damage or have been inundated. If the storm had continued straight up the coastline and not veered west, the damage in NYC and even on the Cape might have indeed been of the apocalyptic proportions hyped via the media.
The storm did not depart from the predicted path, that everyone got right
WA1GFZ

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »

time to read that line at the bottom of your post Burt
Burt
« Reply #58 on: August 31, 2011, 12:53:23 PM »

time to read that line at the bottom of your post Burt

After seeing some of your posts that belittle me albeit respectfully, for this post I say, "Any man including most in AM Forum and QRZ forum , even when they hold their tongue, says more than the typical ham operator when he speaks"
w1vtp

« Reply #59 on: August 31, 2011, 01:14:17 PM »

Yeah, Bob's HV PS would have been arkin' and sparkin; fer sure!  Grin  I will say that he was on fairly high ground - sort of a terrace from coming down from Mendon and going down to Rutland proper.  

My sister (84 yrs old) who lives in Rutland on the lower plain near Otter Creek was almost evac'd but at the last minute she dodged the evac bullet.  Now I don't know if I can even get over to see her this weekend.  Her daughter who lives in Wallingford can't get up the usual way as the bridge on Rte 7 is either gone on not passable.  Talked with Roger KB1CMR and Rte 4 is washed out where it connects to his road and to Rutland.  There's a 1000' section of Rte 100 in the same area that is just plain GONE!  That's the way I used to go to visit her when she lived in Bethel.

Man!  this was not so much a high wind storm as it was a high water storm.  One town,  Brandon gap, may never recover - that's near where my family came from.  It certainly has devastated Verminmont.

Al
KA3EKH

« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2011, 02:45:11 PM »

Don’t make any sense to me, we had more red stuff on the weather radar and the storm was over head dumping rain on us for longer but on the eastern shore of Maryland not much happened, cannot understand why people further north had more damage? Although we did have a small tornado in Delaware I did not have any interruption to power or internet at home QTH. Of all the transmitter sites I have for CC radio all stayed on the air with the one combined site in Ocean City Maryland running on generator for only one hour for the whole weekend, another site I have in Whalleysville Maryland Ran off generator for eight hours but everything else ran along just fine. Being that our market (Salisbury / Ocean City Maryland) is all run from one central site and we have no news operation we simalcasted one of the local television stations continues coverage most of the day and until around eleven thirty that night. Had no STL or satellite dishes move, no cables or towers issues or any damage anywhere. My combined site in Ocean City ( http://staff.salisbury.edu/~rafantini/bviletransmitters.htm )is only about seven to ten feet above sea level and had no signs of water or flood damage beyond what we get with the average rain storm. About a third the broadcast stations in this market were off the air Saturday and I made it a big point to tell management that all our stuff kept working when the others were off the air, also noticed that we picked up a lot of hurricane related revenue Sunday and Monday.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »

Don’t make any sense to me, we had more red stuff on the weather radar and the storm was over head dumping rain on us for longer but on the eastern shore of Maryland not much happened, cannot understand why people further north had more damage?

It's due to the more mountainous terrain and the drainage of the rain causing more flooding.

AMI#1684
w1vtp

« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »

Don’t make any sense to me, we had more red stuff on the weather radar and the storm was over head dumping rain on us for longer but on the eastern shore of Maryland not much happened, cannot understand why people further north had more damage?

It's due to the more mountainous terrain and the drainage of the rain causing more flooding.

Absolutely.  Some of those mountain sides have VERY steep inclines.  I witnessed an "ice out" one time to a small stream - it was frightening!  This HUGE wall of water came cascading down the hillside.  Imagine what 8" of rain would do to these small streams.  Many of the roads in Verminmont were built snaking around the banks of these small stream.  When they get this much rain they just erode the very base of the roads and POOF the road is gone.  That's what happened to the 1000' section of Rt 100.

Vt is a pretty state to visit but much of the roads are still pretty much paved over wagon trails that have been beefed up and fixed over the decades with a better base - then comes along this much rain and yet another section of the road is washed away.  This storm was simply too much for many of these streams / roads to handle

Al
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »

VT is rock. The eastern shore of MD is sand. You can figure out the rest.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »

I think what Al is trying to say is that those mountains are so steep that it can rain on both sides of the same acre!  Smiley

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
kg8lb
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »

Absolutely.  Some of those mountain sides have VERY steep inclines.  I witnessed an "ice out" one time to a small stream - it was frightening!  This HUGE wall of water came cascading down the hillside.  Imagine what 8" of rain would do to these small streams. 
Al

Frightening  indeed . I would love to have seen that...from a less than frightening vantage point. As a great philosopher opined "Nature does nothing in vain." Not always pleasant but so often awesome to behold. Hopefully the human side will fare better than hoped. Never disappointed here when the death and destruction is far less than predicted.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2011, 05:03:48 PM »

I wonder what that stream along RT9 did. It was a beautiful ride to Horsetraders.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »

Fraud or not, and maybe more hype, but I heard a news report this morning that this one will rank in the top ten most expensive (in terms of monetary damage) in the history of the US.

Looks like that one in the Gulf is headed right this way.  We might get some much-needed rain from it, but I'm not going to bother to take any antennas down.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »

After seeing some of your posts that belittle me albeit respectfully, for this post I say, "Any man including most in AM Forum and QRZ forum , even when they hold their tongue, says more than the typical ham operator when he speaks"

Thanks Burt, I need that!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
w1vtp

« Reply #69 on: September 02, 2011, 10:35:40 PM »

I wonder what that stream along RT9 did. It was a beautiful ride to Horsetraders.

Here's a map showing the status of VT roads.  There is a lot of improvement since yesterday.  Note that Rt 9 has still limited access.

http://crisislanding.appspot.com/?crisis=2011_flooding_vermont

Al
w1vtp

« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2011, 11:30:17 PM »

VT is rock. The eastern shore of MD is sand. You can figure out the rest.

Not quite sure what you mean, Steve, but VT is far from rock.  There is a lot of soft, rich soil which really saturates with water under heavy rain.  A significant part of the damage was the sheer volume of water that had swollen the normally tranquil streams.  For example, Route 4 is a prime illustration of the wagon trail along the stream road.  As far as I can remember as a Vermonter this road was prone to washout during spring meltoff.  It was this road that was really hit hard with washout during this terrible storm.  There were a lot of bridges that were ruined not only from the erosive effect of the raging current but the large number of houses and debris that flowed down the swollen streams.  

I come from Clarendon, a small town south of Rutland.  The Otter Creek is a fairly tranquil creek until there is either snow melt and or really heavy rain. It then easily overflows its banks and floods the farmland just east of the house I used to live in.  I could see this annual flooding from my bedroom window as a teen. This time the road west of Otter creek was completely inundated to the point that a relatively high ground section of Campbell drive was totally cut off by water.  That has never happened.   I asked my sister who is just shy of 10 years older than me and neither one of us can remember anything even close to this flooding - she is 84. An example of this unprecidented damage was route 4 going over Killington.  Neither one of can remember anything remotely close to this happening. This was just completely overwhelming.

73, Al
WA1GFZ

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »

That's too bad Al. The state did a lot of work on RT 9 during the years I traveled it. Many times I thought of pulling over to hang out at the stream but usually in a hurry to buy good stuff.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2011, 11:31:14 AM »

Power restored last night, according to CL&Ps web site 46% of the town is still out. We were one of the lucky ones

Still no phone, limited cable.

Been clearing the yard of large limbs all morning. 

Appreciate all the effort by local and out of town utility crews. It is a thankless job and I hope they get home saeflyt to their families soon.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2011, 12:03:52 PM »

Glad you are finally back on the grid Carl. Killingworth was totally dark for a long time. My mother, who lives in nearby Clinton on Shore Road, is still without power, as is roughly 30% of that town. Unfortunately, the sump pump I installed in her basement doesn't work without electricity, so she has a foot of water in her basement. Looks like some work on the furnace is going to be required (again). Ah well, I am grateful that she's fine and handling it all with her usual good sense of humor.

Welcome back to the civilized grid!

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
w1vtp

« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2011, 04:13:11 PM »

All

Someone flew over area to photograph the devastation

http://wingsovermont.com/

Note row 6 down either picture - the church steeple. I used to go there as a pre-teen.  Look carefully at the right picture - the small road going off the the right.  That's the road I used to live on.  The house was a 3 storey very old house.  I'm afraid to even think of what happened to it.  I'm 74 years old - NOTHING has ever happened to that area like this during my lifetime.  This is, in my opinion a 100 year storm.  Maybe even worse.

Re: the pictures of Wheelerville road. That's the road that Roger KB1CMR lives on.  Thank goodness he had the good sense to get out of there.  My guess is he's staying at his girlfriend's home.  Hope his house is OK

Al
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015