The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:20:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W0ZUS (SK) auction results in South Dakota today  (Read 39706 times)
John K5PRO

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 03:35:41 AM »

Studio B storage

* Big iron view 1.jpg (226.08 KB, 1440x961 - viewed 572 times.)

* Big iron view 2.jpg (180.51 KB, 1440x961 - viewed 619 times.)

* Tubes.jpg (191.81 KB, 1440x961 - viewed 661 times.)
John K5PRO

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 03:37:29 AM »

BC transmitter gallery

* BTA1R2 and 20V row.jpg (111.92 KB, 1080x1440 - viewed 546 times.)

* Gates and Bauer.jpg (141.01 KB, 1440x961 - viewed 572 times.)

* Young ham loading rigs with Ruth A.jpg (234.31 KB, 950x998 - viewed 566 times.)
John K5PRO

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 03:39:52 AM »

few more photos. I didn't take any of the bunkhouse load of radios nor the school bus or panel wagon radio storage.

* Gary K0CX and Ruth A.jpg (343.2 KB, 1074x848 - viewed 573 times.)

* loading.jpg (264.46 KB, 1440x1080 - viewed 598 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 06:29:22 AM »

Oh man, I was starting to get over the pain of missing that auction then I saw the photo of chokes and transformers and the one of the tubes and wanted to lay down and die all over again. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 07:31:33 AM »

Boy, what I would have given to be there and just haul one of those rigs away! The black wrinkle would have fit in nicely with the decor in the 'dungeon'. 833's X 250T's is the bees knees. The man was obviously a craftsman!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA3VJB
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2011, 08:23:38 AM »

BC transmitter gallery

"Transmitter Gallery."  I knew this was gonna be something else.

Invoking a quote from Vortex Joe, N3IBX:

I got major wood!!!
W1UJR
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2011, 10:14:10 AM »

Submitting this from motel WiFi in Cheyenne tonight. My Tacoma is riding low in the rear, pulling 12 foot trailer. We drove up from Santa Fe, 700 miles for the auction (in Electric Radio). Here are some of the results that I wrote down, it was an AM'ers dream, Dewy built some very fine transmitters. There are a 4 remaining transmitters that are heavy and need to go - no takers today. He had two active studios, most of the receivers in use were 75A4 and the transmitters varied from HB to 32Vs with HB linears, and 9 broadcast transmitters converted to ham bands, all switched audio and PTT remote. It was hot at the farm, and there were three buildings plus various other places with gear being hauled out. This is only a partial list. There were approximately 25 hams bidding for this stuff. Congratulations to those who attended and got some swell radios. I think the family was grateful for the help in moving out so much heavy iron.

Sounds like my type of ham, wish I had the chance to meet or work Dewy.
I treasure the times I've had to know folks like him, they've got so much to share, and once that wisdom is lost, is gone for good.
So thankful for the folks I've had the privilege to know over the years who are now Silent Keys: Dick Haungs W2UJR, John Rollins W1FPZ, Fred Hammond VE3HC Fred.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »

Does anyone know what line of work Dewey, W0ZUS was involved in?

I ask this as the construction quality and overall layout of the home-brew rigs appears to be first rate, and he obviously had a lot of broadcast-related equipment.

Perhaps he was an engineer associated with the broadcast industry?

What a magnificent collection of equipment and parts that are so well suited to high-power plate-modulated transmitter enthusiasts. And it was well organized and kept in environmentally benign storage. It looks like a lot of that gear will eventually end up on the ham bands, and was spared a most unfortunate fate.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
John K5PRO

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 03:32:49 PM »

Someone told me that he was doing electrical engineering or technical work for a power company as a line of work. Not broadcasting.

I want to mention that its not too late, there is still an RCA BTA250L, a Gates BC250GY, a Gates BC500K and a homebrew kW on 1.8 MHz, along with many transformers and tubes there. I'm sure Gary would like someone to come and take more away, prices very reasonable. If you are running a 1 kW tube radio, and need a spare modulation transformer or reactor, I think there is one more set of RCA iron.  And lots of smaller pieces for 500 watts and down, maybe not all BC audio fidelity.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2011, 08:48:18 AM »

John,

Many thanks for posting all those great pictures.  Unfortunately, I never got to know Dewey, but its apparent that he was a great individual. 

The prices were close to give-away, but thing appeared to land in good hands.  Regardless, the stuff did not end up in the scrap yard and that is good. 

All the pictures were great and I agree with Paul, WA3VJB, the one that's my favorite is "BC transmitter gallery".  Very impressive shot! 

I hope Ray does document it in an ER article.

Joe, W3GMS     

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »

John,

Many thanks for posting all those great pictures.  Unfortunately, I never got to know Dewey, but its apparent that he was a great individual. 

The prices were close to give-away, but thing appeared to land in good hands.  Regardless, the stuff did not end up in the scrap yard and that is good. 

All the pictures were great and I agree with Paul, WA3VJB, the one that's my favorite is "BC transmitter gallery".  Very impressive shot! 

An impressive set-up to say the least. If I had been there, I would have at least asked to see the small stuff stored in boxes and in the room where stuff didn't get pulled out, since that is the kind of goodies I look for mostly now. Those homebrew rigs look commercially manufactured. I never can get my stuff to come out quite that pretty.

I suspect the remote location had a lot to do with the prices most of it went for.  If the same auction had taken place in the Northeast or along the west coast, or somewhere like Ohio or the Chicago area, you can bet things would have been a lot different. Interesting that the GC175 (those things never impressed me all that much) went for so much more than the HBR 160m rigs. Like Rob, I wish I could have made the trip.

Kind of sad to see such a nice station de-commissioned and dismantled. Something to think about: one of these days, probably sooner than we think, the same thing will be happening with each one of our stations.   Sad

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KD0HUX

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2011, 02:20:43 PM »

DX100                                                     $35

Why can't I find something like that close to home?  Cry I ADGREE

Larry
kg8lb
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2011, 02:46:23 PM »

I'm looking forward to hearing some of these on the air this winter or in the time ahead from their new homes.

Probably able to see more on ebay sooner than it is heard OTA  Wink
W8ACR
Contributing

254W

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2011, 03:54:35 PM »

Probably able to see more on ebay sooner than it is heard OTA  Wink

After I go through all the stuff I brought home, I may offer some tubes and other items to users of this website, but I can assure you that nothing from this QTH will end up on the BAY. If I had the ability, I would have bought everything that didn't sell at auction, and would have kept it in the AM community through this website. I am not looking to make a killer profit, but the gasoline bill alone for the round trip to Edgemont was over $250. It would be nice to recoup some of those expenses.

That being said, I'm sure some of this stuff will be flipped on EBAY. That is the right of the new owners, and I have no problem with it, but that's not my style or intent. I'm in the process of negotiating for some of the leftovers, and I will be making at least one return trip to Edgemont. I'll try to salvage as much stuff as possible. I'll keep you all posted.

Ron W8ACR

The life of the nation is secure only while the nation is honest, truthful and virtuous. Frederick Douglass
kg8lb
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2011, 05:19:42 PM »

That being said, I'm sure some of this stuff will be flipped on EBAY. That is the right of the new owners, and I have no problem with it,
Ron W8ACR

No complaints here either. It makes the stuff more avaiable to those who could not make the auction. It also inflames a few folks who think it sold for more money than it was worth...which of course translates more than they would pay for it ...but often less than they would sell theirs for  Wink Funny how that works  Huh

Good to see it salvaged either way. (your way or their way)
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2011, 06:04:58 PM »

Good for you Ron.  Your intent is the sign of a true gentleman like Dewey.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »

Wow, really nice pictures and nice transmitters. I wish I could have got my hands on the 450TH rig or the 833 rig. I need to become a multimillionaire so I can jet around to buy some of this nice old stuff. 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »

He certainly had a good collection. So many transmitters built from parts is really impressive. There was not by any chance a 5-10KW FM rig around? or a 5000V+ 10-15KVA power trans and requisite LC filter stuff? Needing 4800V/2A CCS. Have 'variac', can lower the voltage.

I hope it will all be bought fairly, or in the end the residue given, and not go the scrappers. I would not want my stuff going there, even if it was given away. Just a sentiment I suppose. RIP and God bless him though. No doubt a full life was lived and enjoyed. When someone like that departs, and leaves such a legacy of excellence in the field, a website ought to show off some of those accomplishments and tell about them if the family does not mind and is not going to do so.. An SK section would be valuable.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kg8lb
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 06:33:15 AM »

Too bad it seems his family is getting such a small return compared to the real value of the gear. Sure would like to see them do a little better. Undecided
  I doubt anything worthwhile is actually going to be scrapped although it seems some of the stuff is going at or maybe below scrap prices  Huh
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 07:16:44 AM »

I know there have been some misgivings expressed over the prices paid for the gear in the estate auction, but I'd like to remind everyone of a couple of things:

1.  The owner(s)/organizers of the auction could have easily set minimums for at least some of the gear.  IOW, started the bidding on the Johnson Desk at $500; $300 on the broadcast rigs (i'm just pulling numbers out of my head) but they evidently did not.

2.  Or, they could have scrapped the whole idea of an auction, and listed everything for sale with firm prices, but they didn't do that either, and from what I know, these were not naive people.

I often am unhappy with what I see as widows being taken advantage of, but in this case I would have paid the prices because for one thing, not everyone's main motive is making a lot of money, and if that had been the motive here, the sale would have been set up differently.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WA3VJB
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2011, 08:36:52 AM »

It's not really ours to fret about in the first place.  In the past I caught myself being resentful of those who acquired the gear and sold it for great profit.  I've had a change of attitude after I considered worst-case scenarios.

Among those I've seen --

George, W1GAC's place had a reverse mortgage on it and was being quickly moved to market. All his stuff was being quickly moved to a dumpster in the driveway, and only portions were saved by a quick-acting member of the AM Community.

Ralph, W2WME, who was electrocuted while working on a rig, had a bunch of stuff that casually drifted away, some of which was flipped for revenue, other pieces kept by those who really wanted them.

Another guy in NY who died unexpectedly had a STORAGE RENTAL UNIT full of gear.  THAT was a scandal not fully reported as people arrived like vultures and made off with pieces, according to someone who was there.

A Maryland AMer who passed away left no specific directions to the widow, and she called someone from another state who organized a crew and a rental truck who then took away scads and scads of gear. Supposedly that person intended to hand the gear out to people interested, without an intention of flipping for revenue.  But, there was never a full inventory or accounting of what happened to it all.

NOR did it get thrown out, so I'm settled with it.

At least ZUS had a structured close out.  
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »

Ralph, W2WME, who was electrocuted while working on a rig, had a bunch of stuff that casually drifted away, some of which was flipped for revenue, other pieces kept by those who really wanted them.

Hey Paul I wonder what happened to his BC-610? I think that was his main rig? He seemed to always be using it when talking to Irb.

Terry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 10:18:15 AM »

It's not really ours to fret about in the first place.

Exactly, Paul.
Unless one is directly effected by the situation it's all, usually, soar grapes.
If you really care about flippers, keeping the rigs in the "A.M. Community" and all that, and don't DO something about it then posting ain't gonna change it and amounts to nothing.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 10:29:31 AM »

I'm sorry I never talked to this fellow over the air. I often believed that some of an SK's greatest assets are the ones he/she takes to the grave. Judging by the workmanship of how these rigs were built, there was a great technical void created with his passing.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
kg8lb
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »

It's not really ours to fret about in the first place.

Exactly, Paul.
Unless one is directly effected by the situation it's all, usually, soar grapes.
If you really care about flippers, keeping the rigs in the "A.M. Community" and all that, and don't DO something about it then posting ain't gonna change it and amounts to nothing.

No Buddly , In this case is is not at all "sour grapes". I never been a flipper but I have often helped the very overwhelmed survivors get a FAIR price for the gear left behind. I have however seen widows at hamfests selling for example a very nice TRW CW/RIT . Walking up behind a rather well known flipper when he asked "How much" . Obviously not really knowing the value the widow said "Is $100 OK?" to which came the response "How about $50" . She let it go for $50. Her response came before any of the stunned onlookers could speak up .  The next item offered was a nice National speaker under the table. She asked $10 , I gave her $50. Still a very fair price for both of us. At that point I offered to help her with the remainder of the sales.

I have seen this kind of thing very often locally . The "friends" of the deceased are considered "trustworthy " by the family. The family is often in disarray also may be in need of money .

A few years ago Mike Monnier (W8BAC) and I went up to photograph a mothballed station from 1962. The article , written by Mike appeared in ER back in 2005. The family needed money and was finally offering the station for sale. The ham, W8GLW was a long time operator , passed at the station 1962. He had a load of antique wireless gear. The family had no idea what had value and what was just junk. Both Mike and I suggested they set up at the Radio Extravaganza in Lansing rather than attempting online sales. Further Mike and I both took time off work for the Friday and Saturday sales, just to help. The family got the needed money, the gear went into willing hands at fair prices. I would hope someday my family is treated as fairly.

Not pointing any fingers here did not want it to look so. Just my regrets that the situation was such that the family will not realize anything close to a fair return for all of this very nice gear. By contrast, the K9RJ estate has been taking a while to dissolve but the family is getting a lot better price out of the gear.

While I have no interest in the equipment nor any stake in the ownership, the part of me that likes to see people treated with fairness reaches out to people like this. That IS my prerogative .

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015