The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:25:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: $1500 for a "restored" sx-28 on flea bay....wow  (Read 19066 times)
W2JRO

« on: August 26, 2011, 01:44:34 PM »

I just don't get it..I was following that auction and thought it would go for 800 or 900 tops, but 1500 is just insane. On top on that the buyer pays another $150 for shipping.
KD0HUX

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:11:18 PM »

THERE IS A SUCKER BORN EVERY MINUTE  Embarrassed AS LONG AS PEOPLE PAY OVER INFLATED PRICES  THEY WILL SELL FOR OVER INFLATED PRICES Embarrassed Lips sealed Embarrassed
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:52:50 PM »

At least the buyer and seller are both happy.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 12:49:52 AM »

I wanted one but not that bad! good used one can go for 150.00 or more i would never pay more then 250.00 for one but i seen others go higher that I thought not worth a thing but some people are crazy and they think money is not a problem they will pay anything get what they want...
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 01:12:22 AM »

Some people have more money than time/sense/ability to restore/whatever. 

AMI#1684
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 02:27:03 AM »

Maybe it was special to them.

I paid way too much for a GR 1931A mod monitor. 

Only because it was the very same unit used at the first radio station I worked at in '64, as it has the CE's signature inside.

Soft warm fuzzy feelings Kiss

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
kb3wbb
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 08:36:10 AM »

The R-46 speaker, of course, isn't the correct speaker for the SX-28, the PM-23 is, but I have questions about the radio itself. A genuine SX-28 uses screws, not clips, to hold the RF cover on. That's an indicator of an SX-28A. It also has the webbed knobs of an SX-28A, and it also appears the serial number on the rear starts with "HA", a sure indicator of an SX-28A. Many early SX-28A's said "SX-28" on the front panel so that really is not an indicator of what model the radio is.

So, I have serious doubts about it's lineage and if he's correct about the coils being SX-28 then it's a Frankenradio. Either way, it's not worth anywhere near that kind of money.

Larry
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »

Yep, a good number of A models indeed had panels saying SX-28. So, no surprise there. In fact, actual SX-28As marked as such are the minority of those produced. Hallicrafters, like National, was known to use up parts during transitions to newer models. There are also a number of S-36s with S-27 stamped escutcheons. As far as the coils, they are all round (the square ones turn too hard). The difference on the A model is that they are made to be removed more easily, like a subchassis of sorts.

As Pat says - so long as the both parties are happy with the sale, what's the problem? When it comes to buying and selling in a free market, there are no absolutes. "Too much" to me might be a deal to someone else, or vice versa. Until the buyer comes forth saying that someone held a gun to his head and forced him to buy it, I wouldn't sweat it.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2JRO

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 03:30:17 PM »

While I agree that as long as the buyer and seller are happy it's no harm no foul, that's not what I meant or said in my original post. I compare this to paying sticker price for a new car. The buyer and seller , especially the seller, may be happy, but to pay more money than you need to for an item is in my opinion foolish, and probably many others think the same.
w1vtp

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 03:49:36 PM »

<snip>Soft warm fuzzy feelings Kiss

73DG

Soft warm fuzzy feelings = priceless

Grin
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »

Well look what SX 88 used to bring! 13-14 K They would be very lucky to fetch 5 K now.

The SX 28 is a nice receiver and really looks OB. Even more rare are the SX 28's made by Motorola. They bring lots of money Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 03:58:35 PM »

While I agree that as long as the buyer and seller are happy it's no harm no foul, that's not what I meant or said in my original post. I compare this to paying sticker price for a new car. The buyer and seller , especially the seller, may be happy, but to pay more money than you need to for an item is in my opinion foolish, and probably many others think the same.

Hey, it's an auction. People get caught up in it. Buyer was willing to go the distance to get it at whatever bid price it ended up with. That's why auctions can be fun and profitable. I wouldn't spend $300 bucks for a Ranger but lots have and some even more. How many would spend $10K on a SX-88 or $20K on a KW-1 but they have sold for that price at auction. Obviously, if you believe the auction bidding for a particular item has gone foolish/crazy, you don't, or you stop, bidding. The true value of the item is really only in the mind of the bidders.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 03:59:17 PM »

Yep, soft warm fuzzy is something else. Cheesy

Unlike this cobbled up eBay piece:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NAVY-1939-RAL-5-TRF-Regenerative-receiver-Museum-Unit-/120765737681?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e32ead1

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 04:55:23 PM »

WOW. 

The web knobs, Fuse, and clip top cover are all indications of an A. However, Its best to see if has the coils on the bottom of the A.

I am shocked at that price.  But hey. someone wanted it and they got it. Likely, The 1500 to that guy was about equal to me buying a soda out a machine.  Either purchase does not matter to our overall net worth.

C

kg8lb
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 05:09:03 PM »

What the hey ?

Why the surprise ? Someone was willing to pay more for an SX 28 than some of you would. That's no surprise  Grin Just last week an empty shotshell box (1902 vintage Winchester 12G "Leader" brand trap load) sold for $6,170 on eBay . That means someone else was also willing to pay just a little less and yet another a little less than the #2 guy. That is how it works. You aren't willing to pay the price you , someone else was . Some folks have time that is very valuable. They see what they want, they pay the price. It may be cheaper for them than wasting time looking. IE; Decorators or set builders may get a request to find a particular item. For whatever reason. It is critical to the story or in the case of a decorator some rich professor wants to re-create his childhood station . Money is secondary and is driven by desire. All depends on whre the equalibrium falls.
 With this one there were only two bidders after it hit about $600 . Lucky seller !
  Once saw mention here of a fellow that built a transmitter from junk parts, some of them plucked by dumpster diving at hamfests ??
  The feller said he offered it for sale for $30K but if someone actually wanted to buy it he would jump the price to $60K

Kinda makes this fine old, professionally built Hallicrafters look like a bargain. Grin
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »

28's have had a resurgance of popularity and desirability lately. However, most "fixer upper" repair artists are scared szhtless to recap the front end in them. Definately not a job for the neophite technician. But...............after doing a handful of them and figgering out how they come apart, it's not so bad. I can recap one of them in an afternoon.

But....... most others that want them are willing to pay for the expertise that they dont have.

I have always said that they will have to pry my 28 from my cold dead hands after I'm gone, but for that kind of jing, I would probably let it go too.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
kb3wbb
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »

I should probably clarify what I said about the price. If someone wants to pay that kind of money it is certainly their perogative, it's their money. However, if the buyer spent that kind of money thinking they were buying a genuine SX-28, they may well end up not being so happy. The "HA" serial number should have rung a bell, along with other indicators. All the clues as to actual lineage were and are there for all to see so if it's not what the buyer thought they were getting he/she has no one to blame but themselves. A relatively small amount of time spent with Google could have been enlightening.

As for me, the only way my SX-28A gets sold is if my kids don't want it and my estate sells it. It isn't going anywhere.  Smiley

Larry
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2011, 06:20:12 PM »

I should probably clarify what I said about the price. If someone wants to pay that kind of money it is certainly their perogative, it's their money. However, if the buyer spent that kind of money thinking they were buying a genuine SX-28, they may well end up not being so happy. The "HA" serial number should have rung a bell, along with other indicators. All the clues as to actual lineage were and are there for all to see so if it's not what the buyer thought they were getting he/she has no one to blame but themselves. A relatively small amount of time spent with Google could have been enlightening.

As for me, the only way my SX-28A gets sold is if my kids don't want it and my estate sells it. It isn't going anywhere.  Smiley

Larry

From the seller's auction: On Aug-19-11 at 05:22:52 PDT, seller added the following information:

This is a model "28A"

It obviously didn't make any difference to the bidders.

kb3wbb
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »

I saw that at the bottom of the page but that little blurb down there would be awful easy to miss after everything else in the listing touts it as an SX-28. The seller could just as easily have edited the listing itself but did not.

Larry
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2011, 06:36:51 PM »

You and me both, Larry. It's one of my top 3 receivers, just love the looks and P-P audio. Nor would I pay more than a few hundred dollars for a nice example, basically because it's still fairly easy to find one. Having one that has been completely gone through properly certainly warrants a premium price. How much that ends up being, well.....to each their own. Being able to throw money at something has its advantages, but for me, it takes a lot of enjoyment out of the hobby when it's nothing more than a case of buying things. Going through the trials and tribulations builds more character, in my opinion. Then again, how much time do we have available? You can't buy more of that.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 06:49:12 PM »

I saw that at the bottom of the page but that little blurb down there would be awful easy to miss after everything else in the listing touts it as an SX-28. The seller could just as easily have edited the listing itself but did not.

Larry

We can probably sit here and speculate for days on end as to this, that, and whatever.

The buyer looks like an active auction participant, so I doubt he/she didn't know what they were bidding on. If you're not an alert auction bidder, then you probably shouldn't be bidding on stuff.

kg8lb
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 07:02:24 PM »

As for me, the only way my SX-28A gets sold is if my kids don't want it and my estate sells it. It isn't going anywhere.  Smiley

Larry

Are you saying you would not sell yours for $1500 ?
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »

There's probably a story behind this.  I certainly understand how, to most of y'all who have been at the vintage AM scene for decades, this is mystifying.  If I were someone like JN or Carl and knew my way around a fancy multi-stage double or more conversion rx, blindfolded I'd probably think the buyer is an idiot.  

Well, as it happens, I have a gold plated 75A-3 that has an eye rolling amount of money in it.  Why you might ask?  Maybe I'm an idiot.  I sure make no claim to being the sharpest knife in the drawer.  I got to the vintage scene late and got caught up in the beauty of an old receiver, amber dial lights, black wrinkle, meters, bakelite knobs, glowing filaments and that tubey audio, but I also knew it would be years if I waited, to figure out how to restore one myself.  Jeez, I have all I can do just understanding transmitters.   And, I have no desire to own 10 receivers; one good one is enough.   I liked the A line, ham band only, PTO stability, and the looks, but 75A-4 prices are insane.  So I found a nice looking 75A-3.  When mom died, she left me with a modest inheritance, and after taking care of my parents for 15 years I decided to live a little and treat myself to a nice rx.  I banked most of the money and blew some on shipping the A-3 off to Howard Mills.  So yeah, I have a gold plated A-3, but I love it, he did a hell of a good job on it, it's beautiful to look at and I'll probably run it until I die.  I also did a few minor things to it like getting a ceramic filter working in it for night time AM, and p.p. outboard audio (the stock audio is, uh, disappointing).   Sounds great, looks great (to me) and if I were rich, I'd probably go around buying up A line gear and filling my car and driving over to W3HM and handing them all over to him because guys like Howard aren't doing this forever.  But I'm not rich  Cry so now I'm back in cheap ham mode, but with one nice receiver (thanks MOM!) while I try to learn how to punch chassis and tap holes and build things.

So anyway, who knows, maybe this buyer just had a little windfall, and figured what the hell, there aren't any U-Haul trailers carrying money to heaven, so I may as well enjoy a decent SX-28 (I have not seen the auction by the way so I assume it is a nice one) while I have the cash to spend in this life.  Or maybe not; guess we'll never know.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
kb3wbb
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 09:09:15 PM »

As for me, the only way my SX-28A gets sold is if my kids don't want it and my estate sells it. It isn't going anywhere.  Smiley

Larry

Are you saying you would not sell yours for $1500 ?
Yep, that's what I'm saying, same as my military jeep, which is already in the will, that's going to my grandson, it's not for sale.

Larry
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 01:18:31 PM »

You can always get more money, you can't replace heirlooms and their memories, or replace the experience of finding, restoring, or using a favorite piece of gear. Facsimiles are just that, and dollars aren't what they used to be.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015