No more CZH-ing

(1/4) > >>

WA3VJB:
Roger, formerly K1CZH passsed away last week. I found out when I was talking with TimTron yesterday on 40M.

Damnable thing, I haven't been on since May, really, when Dave's widow Pam closed out K3ZRF Radio for the last time. So, here I was, feeling melancholy, and Tim said he was feeling that way too after learning Roger is gone.

I never talked with Roger. He had faded awoy from the AM Scene by the early 1970s when I got my phone license. The reason I know about him at all was from a legacy that was still being talked about at the time -- that of partying, chasing women, and "CZH-ing" around, as the phrase went.

I had Timmy tell me the origin of the term yesterday -- I remembered most of the story from a previous rundown, and man, there sure are, and have been, some colorful characters in the AM Community that make it what it is.

From a November 2008 posting of "jargon" to amfone.net --

CZH-ING IT - Playing music that is generally considered by most people to be lame and soul-less.

Another definition of CZHing

CZHing:  Going out to bars to pick up women (particularly young ones).

CZH CLOTHES: Clothing worn when CZHing, particularly if flashy or expensive.

Origins: Named after Roger K1CZH, who usually was involved with young, attractive women, frequented the bar scene of the 1970s, drove flashy cars and wore good clothing.

kb3ouk:
he was talking about that last night on radio timtron worldwide, even played some CZH music.

W1JS:
K1CZH aka W1OJ

W2PFY:
Yes I remember him now, he had a ten meter repeater going near Boston and as i recall, it was a tube amplifier. It was linked from 6 meter to ?   He has his birth year on QRZ as 1776. The last time I talked with him was around 1998 and things were going good for him then.

A nice web site as well.http://www.miniequine.com/

RIP Roger

WA3VJB:
He was also very much into the military vehicle collectors scene.

I bet guys like Brown, W1NZR, Norm N3RZU, and Tom, W2ILA knew him from that venue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands