The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:44:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hrd K5UJ Saturday morning 7/30 3885?  (Read 6507 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« on: July 30, 2011, 08:37:12 AM »

I heard K5UJ Chicago calling around 7:40 am on or about 3885 kHz AM.  You were just readable here south of Allentown PA on my HQ-120X.

I gave several calls back but I guess you gave it up by the time I had the Viking II warmed up and tuned from being set on 1885 previously.  

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:05:39 AM »

Tom, I am amazed you heard me.  The band turned out to be in pretty good condition.   I fired up the 1000MP on 3885 at 6:30 central time for the early Midwest Classic Radio roundtable that precedes the Net that starts an hour later.   Because it was 78 degrees in the shack I did not fire up any big heat producing gear (namely the amp) so I was running the yaesu box at 40 watts to my dipole up 45 feet.  No one was around which was unusual so I called CQ until W9QI showed up at 7 a.m.  I'm really sorry I did not hear you.  At first I was on rx with two antennas and my noise canceling box with some attenuation before I bypassed it to use the transmit dipole on rx.  I bet when you called me I had the preamps on the rx antenna potted down some.  I had no idea my pw 50 watts would go that far in summer.  just goes to show me that I should never expect condx to be poor in summer.   

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015