The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:28:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working Canditions  (Read 86880 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 08:24:06 PM »

..that's a good one...at the local beer store.." black round tire gauge"..ok, cant say of the last time, i saw a tire that was neither black, nor round...

..sk..

White tire:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ve6pg

« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 08:32:54 PM »

..i still cant figure out the american hams...NO dis-respect when i say this...but WHY is it, that guys who ARE NOT transmitting, feel the need to announce their call signs?..i know, you guys have to state your call every 20 mins., but....if you are over at the bench, in the head, or making coffee, HAVE to put out your call?...ok, you made some comment some 20 mins ago, but now you are tending to fido...dumb..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 09:34:45 PM »

How about "This is W6XYZ, for ID".  Why else would someone speak their call?

Ot the one I'm known for: "KB3AHE, 'cause it's been a while".....................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2011, 10:31:06 PM »

..i still cant figure out the american hams...NO dis-respect when i say this...but WHY is it, that guys who ARE NOT transmitting, feel the need to announce their call signs?..i know, you guys have to state your call every 20 mins., but....if you are over at the bench, in the head, or making coffee, HAVE to put out your call?...ok, you made some comment some 20 mins ago, but now you are tending to fido...dumb..

..sk..

its every 10 minutes, but what i normally do if i'm doing break-in, every couple of times i make a transmission, i give my call, i may end up doing it about 2 or 4 times in 10 minutes. if i'm in a roundtable, i just give it after each transmission, that way if there are any whiners out there, they can't say  didnt identify, because i did after each transmission, its not like i when on for a few minutes, then someone else had it for 20, then i came back and gave my call, in that case it would have been longer than 10 minutes, and illegal by the fcc's rules.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2011, 10:41:08 PM »

..sk..

Amateurs operating in the US need to identify every 10 minutes.  I think the operators who id every ten minutes whether they've been talking or not tend to be guys in sideband groups that dwell on one frequency every day for hours at a time.  I believe the primary reason is just so that they don't forget to id and perhaps run afoul of the 10 minute rule.   There usually seems to be one or two guys who are the timekeepers and when they identify everyone else chimes in. I operate out of Europe occasionally and I think that identifying every 10 minutes is much better than some of the guys I hear over there who show up on a frequency, BS for hours and then disappear without ever having identified.

I think another reason is that there are always one or two guys in each of these sideband groups that tend to monopolize the conversation and its a way for the other operators to say "hey you bozos, there are other people here"   Smiley

--- Post No Bills ---
ve6pg

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 12:14:25 AM »

like i said....dumb.....some clown has not transmitted at all, BUT...it's 10 mins..a whole pile of guys suddenly have to transmit their call?...i guess you are in violation of you fall asleep, or answer the door, or whichever..

..sk..

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 12:31:10 AM »

During a big break in session people just jump in and don't spill their callsigns every time.  Usually there's one guy that keeps track of the time and IDs, so everyone in the session takes the opportunity.  It serves to announce who's still in the QSO, as people drift in and out.  Someone could have been sitting back for 15 minutes not saying anything, but announcing his call lets everyone know he's still there.

Dumb?   No, not at all.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 10:39:15 AM »

Or, if you are in one of those God-forsaken "old Buzzard" roundtables with a handful of long-winded others making 20-minute monologues, and you dont ID at the end of your transmission, it could be an hour or better before you get another chance. This alone would put you in violation of the 10-minute rule.

I guess that is just another one of the reasons I like break-in so much.............................  Grin  Grin

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »

and i've lisened in on some of those extended transmissions and even the guys making them don't ID at the end of it, and they had been going on for something like 10 or 20 minutes.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2011, 10:50:45 AM »

<<<Or, if you are in one of those God-forsaken "old Buzzard" roundtables>>>

That's why God gave us CCS Old Buzzard gear.   Grin  That fast break-in stuff must be an extra-midwest thing (thank God).

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2011, 10:52:36 AM »

What's even worse is when you fall asleep and wake up some time later and the same guy is still yacking away  Shocked

OR

If Don is giving a dissertation about transformers  Grin  Grin  Grin

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2011, 10:58:18 AM »

<SNIP> "That's why God gave us CCS Old Buzzard gear.     That fast break-in stuff must be an extra-midwest thing (thank God)." <SNIP>

Rob,
       Break-in is good exercise tor the for the fingers, keeps the mind sharp and the hand well-exercised. Just ask Ralphie (W3GL), he's got the fastest finger in the east! !   Grin  Grin

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2011, 11:13:27 AM »

I have to admit Slab, that fast breakin does force one to build and perfect sequencing circuits (another thing I badly need to do).

There's old buzzard and there's old buzzard.   

Bad:  Guy running 50 watts to G5RV 20% copy talks for 20 minutes.

Good:  Strappers like Don and a few others who boom in with great audio.   I have no problem cranking up the p.p. amp and kicking back in rx mode.  But the difference here which I forget about is that the house is so small it is essentially a giant live-in ham shack so I can get up and go around the house doing things with the speakers in the basement booming away.  Under those circumstances the problem is usually that these guys in a roundtable don't talk long enough.

ve6pg

« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2011, 11:30:31 AM »

rob...that's what i like too...good audio, crank it up, and "listen" to nice clean b'cast type voice...not "quack-quack"..

..sk..

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2011, 02:17:31 PM »

<snip> "Bad:  Guy running 50 watts to G5RV 20% copy talks for 20 minutes."<snip>

Rob,
       That is more commonly known as "the first rule of the piss-weaker".

Running break-in also gives the incentive to build a big strapping transmitter..........

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2011, 02:21:35 PM »

Bad:  Guy running 50 watts to G5RV 20% copy talks for 20 minutes.

That is more commonly known as "the first rule of the piss-weaker".

Which is, The weaker they are, the longer they talk.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 02:48:27 PM »

i guess you are in violation of you fall asleep, or answer the door, or whichever.

It's a little known fact that there is a US Government FCC dude on  every street in all towns and cities in the US.

That's why we ID so often.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K5WLF
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 03:15:38 PM »

It's a little known fact that there is a US Government FCC dude on  every street in all towns and cities in the US.

And if it's not one of your neighbors, it could be you...
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2011, 04:45:28 PM »

..i still cant figure out the american hams...NO dis-respect when i say this...but WHY is it, that guys who ARE NOT transmitting, feel the need to announce their call signs?

Really depends on the context, Tim. I'm guessing you mean 'during a conversation in progress', in which case I'd agree with Johnny's explanation. At least, that's when/why I do it. Sometimes the group gets rolling along and you get busy with something else, sometimes the group gets large and it doesn't get back around to you for a while. It's mainly a way of letting others know that you're still there, even if you're not participating at that particular moment.

I have to admit Slab, that fast breakin does force one to build and perfect sequencing circuits (another thing I badly need to do).

Still working out that one myself, 2 mod transformers later.  Roll Eyes It can also be a good test of your patience.

Just like there's break-in and there's break-in. I think it was Ken/'DTC who once said to me "Have you ever noticed that the guys who complain the most about roundtables are the ones who talk the most and longest during break in?" Maybe they forget they're in a group or think that everyone else is expecting a reply only from them. I'm selective about joining break in sessions just for that reason: it seems to result in more repeats due to stations transmitting at the same time which gets tiresome before long. Not unlike a roundtable that grows to enormous size.

OTOH, getting in with a more balanced group(not necessarily mentally, mind you) results in a spirited conversation that moves along and yields a lot of enjoyment and entertaining moments. And as Slab sez, Ralphie is also known as 'Quick Draw' for his ability to key up before the carrier drops!  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »

Frank said:
What's even worse is when you fall asleep and wake up some time later and the same guy is still yacking away

I had that happen once while in a QSO with Ozona Bob!  Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2011, 08:59:51 PM »

Frank said:
What's even worse is when you fall asleep and wake up some time later and the same guy is still yacking away

I had that happen once while in a QSO with Ozona Bob!  Grin

Me too.  I didn't fall asleep, but had to work the next day, so I left the station running while I went down and took a shower and laid out my clothes and stuff for the next day.  Returned to the shack about 45 minutes later and he was still talking. I figured someone else had called him after I left and continued the QSO. I decided to stick around long enough to sign out and say good-night. After listening a few minutes, I realised he was still making that same transmission to me.  I just picked up on a few things he said right at the end, commented on them, and signed out telling him I had to get the bed. He never knew I hadn't been sitting there listening to the whole transmission.

I most often work O.B. roundtable style, but also work fast break-in when the occasion arises. What I hate is those who finish a transmission in an AM QSO that is NOT operating fast break-in, then just drop the carrier with no prior warning like IDing or saying "over", "go ahead", etc., leaving the other operator(s) wondering if they lost power or the rig crapped out.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2011, 10:28:36 PM »

<<<Running break-in also gives the incentive to build a big strapping transmitter..........>>>

It does?   I don't see the connection between the two.   No offense, but fast break-in seems to lend itself more towards plastic radios driving leenyars (like what I have now).   

Big strapping tx makes me think of big relays settling in, a heavy maulish carrier faintly modulated by breezes wafting over the mic that are clearly audible before the OB begins his 45 minute transmission.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2011, 11:35:02 PM »

Its so you can strap Ralph, who has the reflexes of a cat when it comes to exploiting a dropped carrier in a breakin session  Grin

He woulda been outstanding at getting the hole shot in a drag race.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2011, 07:25:45 AM »

and i've lisened in on some of those extended transmissions and even the guys making them don't ID at the end of it, and they had been going on for something like 10 or 20 minutes.
And then they can't remember who to turn it over to.

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2011, 07:27:15 AM »

..sk..

Amateurs operating in the US need to identify every 10 minutes.  I think the operators who id every ten minutes whether they've been talking or not tend to be guys in sideband groups that dwell on one frequency every day for hours at a time.  I believe the primary reason is just so that they don't forget to id and perhaps run afoul of the 10 minute rule.   There usually seems to be one or two guys who are the timekeepers and when they identify everyone else chimes in. I operate out of Europe occasionally and I think that identifying every 10 minutes is much better than some of the guys I hear over there who show up on a frequency, BS for hours and then disappear without ever having identified.

I think another reason is that there are always one or two guys in each of these sideband groups that tend to monopolize the conversation and its a way for the other operators to say "hey you bozos, there are other people here"   Smiley

Sam, the SSB guys do that to "hold the frequency" so that no one takes it away....the bands are so crowded these dayzzz

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015