The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:43:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Antique Electronic Supply drifting to electric guitars?  (Read 89577 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »

Wrong tool for the job. Not unusual for many ham radio ops.   Actually he should have tossed the little Kenwoods into the air and used the hammer on the HT33 !
I sure wouldn't have used a sledge hammer on either one. Already spentt oo many hours busting up concrete early on.  We have a fine hydraulc press that could sqush them back into the tinfoil they are made from. Just pull the handle  ..

Less talk and more action! ! ! ! ! !

We want video! ! ! ! ! !   Wink  Grin  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2011, 11:47:35 AM »

Forget the landfill. Just smash 'em. That'll show those bottom-feeders and cheap-ass hams who are only interested in coming to pick up a freebie on their terms!

Hallicrafters HT-33A Amplifier HF Destruction

Ham Radio Destruction/ Kenwood 2 Meter Radios.

Ready for an R-390 and KW-1?

Wrong tool for the job. Not unusual for many ham radio ops.   Actually he should have tossed the little Kenwoods into the air and used the hammer on the HT33 !
I sure wouldn't have used a sledge hammer on either one. Already spentt oo many hours busting up concrete early on.  We have a fine hydraulc press that could sqush them back into the tinfoil they are made from. Just pull the handle  ..

Less talk and more action! ! ! ! ! !

We want video! ! ! ! ! !   Wink  Grin  Grin  Grin

FWIW that fairy couldn't even swing the hammer properly.

NO NO NO
youse guys got it all wrong:
He shoulda used the HT33 as the battering ram for the kenwood riceboxes !!!
 Grin
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »

The shame of it all is that I have an SX-101a, and an HT-32, the 33 is all I need to complete the set!   Shocked  Roll Eyes

kg8lb
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »

The shame of it all is that I have an SX-101a, and an HT-32, the 33 is all I need to complete the set!   Shocked  Roll Eyes

Shoulda told me. I would have never given that one to Tyler ! Grin

BTW, Tyler can't be all that bad. He is one of those "Smug" radio operators:

QRZ Profile, KE5WWX, No code , CBer , Hi-Fi slopbucketeer :

Hello, My name is Tyler KE5WWX. I am a No Code Cber. I Live in New Orleans,LA and can be found most of the time  monitoring 3.810

My station consist of:

STUDIO 1A: Flex 5000A, a full audio rack, AL-1500 amplifier and a little dipole
STUDIO 1B: Flex 3000, full audio rack, AL-82 amplifier and a HEX BEAM

Another big hobby of mine, Is collecting pre-1920 Gramophones and phonographs and also collecting 1920's Jazz Records.

ESSB ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!

Saaaay , Buddly

I see our radio wrecker likes old Jazz records ...and grammaphones.

Hows about you bring that Moooseberger 12 ga  up heya ? We can spare the #4 Chilled Steel. I have a lot of #9 Birdshot.   I got all of Grandma's old Flapper Jazz bakelites from the 1920s and  late teens ! Even have a couple Grammaphones and a video camera  Wink  

We can be Youtube stars !

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2011, 01:48:46 AM »

I can see the boy's point or belief about not being able to sell it but can not agree with his insane act. It would have been more acceptable in every way to have sold it for $100 to a cheap ham or even to have given it away and avoided the waste of energy than to have destroyed the thing.

There is a place in heck where miscreants are forced to painstakingly restore things that would have brought others joy if they had not been selfishly or pointlessly destroyed. Once restored, a demon runs over said item and said miscreant with a 5 ton truck and the process begins anew.

Not that I would ruin nice old gear for spite or sport, but I prefer a single effort solution if it has to be done.

About AES  - where's the Fender 430 bass amp OPT? Recalling one of those amps seen during my youth, It had to be a beast with six 6550's. Therein lies the issue with modern transformers and the reason why solid state must be accepted when high power is needed. The biggest I have ever seen is the 280W unit from Hammond. Is there a larger unit available? Where is Bear? He would know!

* 100_7208lsmall.jpg (83.83 KB, 500x312 - viewed 904 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kg8lb
« Reply #105 on: July 29, 2011, 06:15:39 AM »

Different strokes eh !

Even if the act had not been worthwhile it to Tyler...I sure got a giggle out of the indignant, contemptuous responses from the "give it to me" gang .  
  Energy savings ? That old Hallicrafters off line means they can probably shut down two Indonesian coal mines. Wink

I don't go along with busting stuff up. Can't get too upset after the fact though. Might as well take something good from it. The whiners came through with that !
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #106 on: July 29, 2011, 01:30:28 PM »

Different strokes eh !

Even if the act had not been worthwhile it to Tyler...I sure got a giggle out of the indignant, contemptuous responses from the "give it to me" gang .  

Far more contemptuous is the attitude "By God, I'll destroy it before I'll give it away".

Who knows, the bottom-feeder or cheap-ass Hammy Hambone would probably tire of it very quickly, especially if it craps out and he can't figure out how to replace the blown fuse. Eventually it might find its way into the hands of someone who appreciates it for its intrinsic value, would willingly pay what it was worth and who would go to the trouble to come pick it up.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
kg8lb
« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2011, 02:57:03 PM »

Far more contemptuous is the attitude "By God, I'll destroy it before I'll give it away".

That is a blatant misrepresentation of what Tyler offered . He said he did try to give the Kenwoods away as I recall.

Like I said, "A judgement call".  a subjective thing .I was rating the comments made by the would be bottom feeders as contemptuous. Ownership conveys certain rights and priveledges. These rights of course are weighed against responsibilities. In this case the poor soul harmed no one with his tantrum . If he had some fun , so be it. There will always be some crackpot that thinks he has a responsibility to preserve or pass on the stuff. Not so. This is not stuff that really has that much importance . Nothing that is worth the hate speech and vulgarity expressed in response.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »

That is a blatant misrepresentation of what Tyler offered . He said he did try to give the Kenwoods away as I recall.

That still doesn't change the fact that the guy is an egocentric, selfish, ignorant butt-hole.The personal profile he posted on QRZ.com pretty much says it all:
Hello, My name is Tyler KE5WWX. I am a No Code Cber. I Live in New Orleans,LA and can be found most of the time  monitoring 3.810

I can't imagine that anyone would actually defend such an adolescent tirade by a so-called adult. If he really had run out of options, he could have dropped the Hallicrafters and Kenwoods off "as is" at the local Salvation Army or Goodwill collection station. I'd bet someone there would have found a way to dispose of it, even if it fetched only a few bucks, and the proceeds would have gone to help a good cause. They probably would have even unloaded the heavy Hallicrafters from the vehicle for him. As far as his inability to find a taker, I suspect he didn't try very hard.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
kg8lb
« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2011, 06:20:30 PM »

Who is defending the "act" ?  Huh

No one here to "defend" the act   , his right to do so however is a given.  Your passing judgement upon him is your right, albeit somewhat  arrogant , egocentric and grossly judgemental as well.
 The  ensuing hate speech that spewed forth from the radio sympathizers  also fit  well within that description and then some.

"Intrinsic value" ? Does not trump owner's rights. The intrinsic vlaue rights are held by the owner.

I have called this a sorry act all along, but the comments that followed were far worse than simply sad. Seeing all of that laughter becomes the best medicine I guess.  Obviously the kid has a problem. People like that have a way of exposing the problems of others at times. Wink They all slithered out of the low places to seek support from other souls so afflicted. Different people, different tantrum types.
 Geez, Look at all the fine old automobiles that are destroyed to make movies and  some of the attempts sorry at building "Hot Rods" . Don't care for any of that personally but I still respect the owner's rights to do so.

Well gotta go Don, they are showing an old movie at the corner Bijou. A real classic, one of my all time favorites.
  Ever see "The Fountainhead"  ...Yes, the book is better.   Then again ,it doesn't matter what is "written" in plain English. Some folks only see what they want . Wink

Th
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2011, 11:41:11 PM »

Yes, they have a legal right to do whatever they want with what they own.  I wouldn't want Big Brother to step in and tell me what I can and cannot do with my stuff, but I still think it is morally on the verge of criminality to wilfully destroy scarce pieces of history for no reason at all, other than one found it inconvenient to properly dispose of it so that succeeding generations could appreciate it, and I'll continue to exercise my freedom of speech to remind such people of what arse-holes they really are.

- - -
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #111 on: July 30, 2011, 03:46:27 AM »

I met Tyler at the local hamfests.  He was friendly enough trying to sell his wares, but it was all too obvious that his attitude towards amateur radio was very childish as if everything was to be made fun of.   I ran into him and his essb friends having some sort of "drunken naked net" where their behavior was appalling.  They were giving awards to the one who was able to get the most OO reports.  They were obscene and making fools out of themselves at amateur radios expense.  I am ashamed that this BOY is from Louisiana.  He is a spoiled brat that needs to grow up and learn some manners.

People can and do change.  But, until that happens, I suggest avoiding the boy.

AMI#1684
kg8lb
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2011, 10:20:19 AM »

Kenwood 2 meter rigs and Hallicrafters HT-33s are hardly "Scarce pieces of history" Methinks the importance of these bits rates far below property rights.

Yes , the kid is an arsehole. An even bigger arsehole may seek to stop him...or condemn him.

KE6DF

« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2011, 11:41:54 AM »

Kenwood 2 meter rigs and Hallicrafters HT-33s are hardly "Scarce pieces of history" Methinks the importance of these bits rates far below property rights.

It's hard to know what are going to become valued pieces of history.

There was a time when Rangers, Vikings, Valiants, and DX-100's were considered pieces of junk that no one would ever want.

And 211's were old inefficient, obsolete tubes mainly good as bookends.

Not to mention big modulation transformers which were at one point good only as door stops.

Dave

kg8lb
« Reply #114 on: July 30, 2011, 04:41:35 PM »

And we still have plenty of all of that.
Surely enough old Kenwood 2M rigs around  Wink  
 As well as:
 Kodak Folding cameras
 Kodak 8mm Film movie cameras
Bolex 8mm film movie cameras
8mm video cameras
VHS and Beta cameras
Analog TV sets
Stainless steel sinks
Avacado green refrigerators
Harvest Gold refrigerators
Almond refrigerators
buggy whips
................. Even though their historical "importance" like the radio stuff is  highly questionable.
  We quit using big mod transformers as doorstops a few years ago , when copper scrap peaked. Better transformers can be built today. By buying new transformers, we keep the sources in business thereby keeping  that art alive. Better to maintain the ability than limp along with marginal old parts. Just like reforming old capacitors .
  Thanks to the guitar people and yes , vintage audio people  manufacturers and cottage businesses are still making a lot of this stuff. Heyboer transformer does a very steady business with guitar people. Owing to that we can still get new transformers, far better than OEM transformers for our minority , low demand ham gear. Don't use those sources and we lose them.

The "Hillarious" part is that Tyler was able to dupe a handful of haters into unwittingly propogating his video tantrum.   Patsies  Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #115 on: July 30, 2011, 10:44:50 PM »

If someone  scrapped a crappy 150 lb. "communications quality" modulation transformer (with 300-3000~ frequency response) at the metal recycler, they probably would get as much as it was worth. But if they scrapped a 150 lb. broadcast quality modulation transformer, made any time from the 1920s to the present and still in working condition, they are a damned fool.

Like Model Ts and Model As, almost any pre-WWII radio stuff is worth preserving for its historical value alone, due to its scarcity because so much was recycled during the materials shortages while we were fighting the war.

I have heard old timers tell of junking perfectly good working automobiles for the wartime scrap metal drives, because gas was severely rationed and new tires couldn't be had for any price (except maybe via the black market). I recall a WWII-era QST magazine with photos of panel meters all over its cover, encouraging hams to take the meters out of their then-idle transmitters and donate them to the war effort, because they couldn't manufacture enough meters fast enough to fill the need for wartime transmitter production.

- - -
kg8lb
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2011, 07:41:03 AM »

Don,
 Pretty well agree with your mod transformer comments."Damn fool" judgement aside.Never been a proponent of wholesale scrapping though some people insist on painting that picture. I am a proponent of letting the owner decide. A concept perhaps that some folks refuse to grasp ?
 Nice to know we can still have brand new ones made up, those old transformers are getting tired. I like having that option .
 Cars and tires were at a premium during the war. A few "perfectly good " cars were actually scrapped during the scrap drives of WWII. For the most part, cars that were scrapped were in pretty sorry shape. The 1931 Chevrolet outsold the 1931 Ford but after the war there were far more 1931 Fords than Chevys. This was because the Fords were much simpler cars then their Chevrolet counterpart and were more readily repaired. My first 5 cars were built before WWII and I drove prewar cars as every day drivers until I was 24.
 The newer cars have a lot going for them  Wink

We still have plenty Model A and Model T cars, and the parts to keep them running.

Even after the "Untouchables" and "Bonnie and Clyde" and all those years of Hot Rodders .
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #117 on: July 31, 2011, 04:16:44 PM »

Yea, but...........................

Tons and tons and tons of viable machinery was destroyed and recycled for the "war effort". If that was not the case you would have tons and tons of it still laying around and it would have never graduated to the viable antique status, and therefore be commomplace enough to be worthless.

I hate the thought of old cars, tractors, and gas engines getting melted down for scrap, but it is a necessary evil that insures the collectors value of the ones that survive.   

kg8lb
« Reply #118 on: July 31, 2011, 04:26:21 PM »

Exactly !

I sure love those old Kearney Trecker horizontal mills and the Bullard vertical turret lathes etc . However , we had so many and clung to them so long that we managed to fall behind the newer more efficient machinery.
  The nations that "lost" got new stuff and the difference shows .
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #119 on: July 31, 2011, 09:33:11 PM »

The nations that "lost" got new stuff and the difference shows.

...much of it on the dime of US taxpayers.

If WWII had somehow been averted, technologically we would be decades behind where we are now. The Great Depression might have lasted all the way through the 1950s or even beyond. We might just now be achieving manned space flight if it was ever achieved at all. Absent the post-war space/arms race, computer technology would be far behind what it is to-day.

OTOH, many of the socio-politico-economic problems the world is now experiencing might never have occurred.

- - -
KC2ZFA

« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2011, 09:39:29 PM »

I hate the thought of old cars, tractors, and gas engines getting melted down for scrap, but it is a necessary evil that insures the collectors value of the ones that survive.   

hey Frank, at least your rack didn't get melted down  Grin

Peter

ps. Many thanks for the donation, now that I'm back the project will progress fast.

* IMG_1410.JPG (995.53 KB, 1704x2272 - viewed 885 times.)
kg8lb
« Reply #121 on: August 01, 2011, 06:15:19 AM »

The nations that "lost" got new stuff and the difference shows.

...much of it on the dime of US taxpayers.

If WWII had somehow been averted, technologically we would be decades behind where we are now. The Great Depression might have lasted all the way through the 1950s or even beyond. We might just now be achieving manned space flight if it was ever achieved at all. Absent the post-war space/arms race, computer technology would be far behind what it is to-day.

OTOH, many of the socio-politico-economic problems the world is now experiencing might never have occurred.

Yes indeed MOST of it on the back of US taxpayers and consumers. Maybe Fr Coughlin had that part right ? No telling about the socio-economic problems. Conjecture at best . Surely not the same ones, different for better or worse. It did happen and here we are .

KC2FZA:

Something like one of these :

...in that rack could save those historically priceless old tubes, transformers and while doing so put out the legal AM limit+ a few . Wink (At least on 75 and 160)  All the while using about 1/5 the energy input. You could still heat the filaments from time to time in the winter in order to preserve the priceless tubes . THe transmitter would still have the Wizard of Oz effect going and the non ham Munchkins no less impressed. Win-win-win  Wink
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #122 on: August 01, 2011, 08:51:23 AM »

Regardless of mode, appliance operating is still appliance operating.  If a super efficient solid state transmitter is what you want (but who says a HOBBY has to be "efficient"?), why not check out the WA1QIX website and think about building a homebrew class-E transmitter?  Those power MOSFETS are cheaper and easier to come by than large transmitting tubes.

- - -
KC2ZFA

« Reply #123 on: August 01, 2011, 08:56:39 AM »

...All the while using about 1/5 the energy input...

I'm not a communist  Grin

Peter

kg8lb
« Reply #124 on: August 01, 2011, 09:38:51 AM »

Regardless of mode, appliance operating is still appliance operating.  If a super efficient solid state transmitter is what you want (but who says a HOBBY has to be "efficient"?), why not check out the WA1QIX website and think about building a homebrew class-E transmitter?  Those power MOSFETS are cheaper and easier to come by than large transmitting tubes.

Exactly Don,

It is only a hobby .

"Appliance operators" and the plain snobby elitists..... Huh

Grin Different people engage different hobbies in many different ways.  What with those old parts becoming impossible to replace, the solid state gear is but one option. Surely the designing and building of this gear is no less an accomplishment than "Ground Hog Day" radio...operating the same old radios that were in use 60+ years ago . The excellent efficiency is just a side benefit.

"Appliance operators" Huh

Some real craftsmen consider power tools to be "appliances". Do you still put holes in your panels with brace and bit ? Hammer and chisel ?  

Either way is just fine .

Time marches on.

Seven three

...All the while using about 1/5 the energy input...

I'm not a communist  Grin

Peter

Undecided That's what they all say ! Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015