The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:39:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ahhhhhh... Wonderful Summer!  (Read 17700 times)
kg8lb
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »

At this QTH Summer is motorcycle and hamfest season.   Cheesy

We have two "Motorcycle seasons here, just North of Canada . The hot and sultry "Summer season" and the absolutely wonderful "Winter season" Wouldn't miss either one !

John Holotko

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 02:52:31 PM »

summer is my least favorite season.  sorry to be a wet blanket.   Give me winter any day over summer. 

if it weren't for antenna work and hamfests, summer would be completely pointless.

You're not alone. Summer is no bargain.  Instead of spending money on heating I end up spending it on electricity for cooling. And in between air conditioned spaces there is dripping sweat. Yesterday was brutal. After only a few minutes in the heat and very high humidity I was drenched from head to toe. Winter is cold but I can't say it makes me anywhere near as uncomfortable as summer. Seems easier to find ways to warm up than to cool down.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2011, 08:11:32 PM »

Well I have to admit I might like summer more if I lived up in New England where everyone uses the very costly heating oil.  I'm in natural gas country where heat is relatively inexpensive compared to A/C electricity (for now).   I tell people I can always put on more layers in winter but in summer I can't peel off anything if everything has been peeled off and I'm still hot.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2011, 06:47:25 AM »

Well I have to admit I might like summer more if I lived up in New England where everyone uses the very costly heating oil.  I'm in natural gas country where heat is relatively inexpensive compared to A/C electricity (for now).   I tell people I can always put on more layers in winter but in summer I can't peel off anything if everything has been peeled off and I'm still hot.

That's interesting.  The natural gas in this area is expensive - sometimes more expensive than oil, but always seems to track "per BTU".  Have you considered gas air conditioning?

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2011, 09:40:47 AM »

Yikes! I can't imagine experiencing that sort of heat. How do our soldiers over there survive that?
--------------------------

Iraq declares first-ever heat holiday, closes government offices

Sunday, July 31, 10:30 PM

BAGHDAD — It was so hot in Iraq on Monday that the country declared its first-ever “heat day.”

Iraq’s central government shuttered its offices and sent public-sector workers home across most of the country as temperatures surpassed 122 degrees Fahrenheit.
K2PG

« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2011, 05:09:28 PM »

Here in Northeast Pennsylvania, we have four seasons: Almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction!
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 06:41:48 PM »

Here in Northeast Pennsylvania, we have four seasons: Almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction!

Hi Phil,

Isn't that Maine?  2 seasons:  Winter and Construction  Cool  I've also heard that about parts of Canada:  Winter and August.

Winters are hard here on the New Hampshire border in central Mass... but we do have some nice summers..... and the extreme winter cold kills off the bad stuff they have in the South.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2011, 08:24:44 PM »

Summer has been hot here in Spartanburg but just 35 miles north in the foothills it is cooler. There are a couple of nice place to have dinner about 45 minutes away that you can sit outside and be comfortable in the evening when its 98 in Spartanburg.

I have a place at Edisto Beach and it is miserable hot in July and August, but nice in most other months. Bottom fishing out about 30 nm miles in January can be shirtsleeves some days and about two or three freezes a winter.

Autumn and Spring are great at both houses. I usually can find something fun to do most every month of the year. Love to troll offshore about 65nm out in the spring and trawl shrimp and inshore fish in the fall.
WA3VJB
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »

Summer is absolutely the best time of the year.

I look forward to seeing Sunset creep up to 8:47pm, and get sad when it starts retreating.

SO, we try to make the most of it out on the boat, making landfall wherever the anchor holds.

* Summer-A.png (1460.41 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 622 times.)

* Summer-B.png (1539.25 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 640 times.)

* Summer-C.png (1226.76 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 635 times.)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015