The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 06:27:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maybe a reprieve from having to use CFLs?  (Read 51400 times)
kg8lb
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »

Some state lawmakers are considering a law allowing for in state mfg of real light bulbs. Since the ban only affects intersate commerce it would still be legal to make bulbs for use within that state.  Of course , a FEW may manage to cross state lines in the cars of hardened criminals. No doubt the same administration that allows US guns to flow into Mexico will find the means to bust the bulb runners . Wink
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2011, 06:14:34 PM »

Maybe enterprising individuals and companies will spring up to market 'heat balls' as done in Germany ...

http://www.redstate.com/moe_lane/2011/01/04/heat-balls/

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2011, 06:55:34 PM »

Some state lawmakers are considering a law allowing for in state mfg of real light bulbs. Since the ban only affects intersate commerce it would still be legal to make bulbs for use within that state.  Of course , a FEW may manage to cross state lines in the cars of hardened criminals. No doubt the same administration that allows US guns to flow into Mexico will find the means to bust the bulb runners . Wink

Wouldn't work. Decades ago, the Supreme Court in a convoluted ruling interpreted the "Interstate Commerce Clause" in the Constitution to cover practically every imaginable activity even if it doesn't touch a state line, since it would still have an "effect" on interstate commerce.  A couple of examples; back in the 1930s someone challenged the FCCs jurisdiction to regulate VHF radio transmissions in the middle of Texas, claiming that since the signal could not reach a state boundary, it was not interstate  commerce and therefore not under the jurisdiction of the federal government. It went to court and the court ruled for the FCC.  In another case, someone challenged federal laws prohibiting cannabis production for private use, arguing that since the person was growing it for his own personal use and not trying to sell it or otherwise transfer it across state lines, it did not fall under federal jurisdiction. The courts ruled that it still fell under interstate commerce, since the grower would not be patronising the interstate drug trade (and associated police activity), therefore "affecting" interstate commerce.  In a similar ruling a farmer challenged some federal regulation pertaining to agricultural grain production, since he was raising the grain on his own farm to feed his own cattle without putting it on the market, but the  courts ruled that it involved interstate commerce since he was absenting himself from the interstate trade of agricultural products, and that if his cattle were sold on the open market the grain would still be an indirect form of interstate commerce .  By the same token, in-state light bulb production and sales would have an "effect" on the nation-wide light bulb industry, and therefore would be considered interstate commerce.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2011, 10:12:16 AM »

So now the next question....................

What happens to all of the fixtures requiring specialty bulbs?? Chandoliers, decorative lighting, pilot/indicator lamps for electronic equipment, etc. And anything running on DC. This could get to be an interesting scenario with the total production of incandescent bulbs being outlawed. As of today's technology, you cant use use CFLs as we know them there.

QTF is the next step  Huh  Huh

I can see it now, #47 pilot lamp bulbs will end up costing as much as big transmitting tubes.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2011, 11:25:32 AM »

So now the next question....................

What happens to all of the fixtures requiring specialty bulbs?? Chandoliers, decorative lighting, pilot/indicator lamps for electronic equipment, etc. And anything running on DC. This could get to be an interesting scenario with the total production of incandescent bulbs being outlawed. As of today's technology, you cant use use CFLs as we know them there.

QTF is the next step  Huh  Huh

I can see it now, #47 pilot lamp bulbs will end up costing as much as big transmitting tubes.

Frank,
When I looked into specialty bulbs, they will continue to be made for some time into the future.  The ban initially stops the sale of the standard 60W bulb.  As time goes on the ban goes down in wattage to the smaller standard base bulbs.   

I never saw a ban date for speciality bulbs. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2011, 11:44:21 AM »

Joe,
      But if the demand for the larger incandescent bulbs dissapears, I'm sure that is the "bread and butter" for most (if not all of) the bulb manufacturers. If they close their doors for that reason, there will be noone to produce the specialty bulbs. Henceforth the trickle down effect. The gubmit won't have to ban them if there was no source for them anyway. Either way, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. We will probably get screwed again.

WA5VGO

« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2011, 12:06:03 PM »

Incandescent bulbs ARE NOT being outlawed. The new regulation will set minimum efficiency standards for some lamps. It's true that many currently manufactured incandescent lamps fail to meet the minimum efficiency, but the regulation only applies to bulbs 40 watts or greater, and there are exceptions you can drive a freight train through (rough service, 3-way, colored, etc.). Also, many of the halogen incandescent already meet the efficiency standard.

Don't let the doomsayers on the AM radio dial cause you any unnecessary grief.

Darrell, WA5VGO
kg8lb
« Reply #82 on: July 26, 2011, 01:34:09 PM »

Joe,
      But if the demand for the larger incandescent bulbs dissapears, I'm sure that is the "bread and butter" for most (if not all of) the bulb manufacturers. If they close their doors for that reason, there will be noone to produce the specialty bulbs. Henceforth the trickle down effect. The gubmit won't have to ban them if there was no source for them anyway. Either way, it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. We will probably get screwed again.

Exactly ! And the few that may remain will have to raise prices to make up for the "economy of scale" losses.

Then again, why write the  laws in question  at all? Energy costs will drive the market and the people themselves are fully capable of determing cost effectiveness .

Time to clip Aunty Sam's wings .
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »

I have hoarded close to a lifetime supply of those wonderfully inefficient "long life" bulbs with ruggedly supported heavy duty filament. But I don't run them just anywhere for normal lighting purposes, since they run extremely hot and in some applications could be a fire hazard. I put them in hard-to-reach places where the heat isn't a problem, and in work lamps where to-day's flimsy "consumer grade" incandescents won't take  the punishment. The HD bulbs also make good current limiting resistors for testing things like transformers off the 120v line. Also make good compact heat generators when needed.

Isn't some company supposed to be working on higher efficiency incandescents they claim will run around 30% but still be much less expensive than CFLs and LEDs?

If they stop making speciality incandescents, wonder if that will include radio pilot lamps.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
w1vtp

« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2011, 05:12:13 PM »

One place where the CFL did work for me was in my range hood.  I could NOT keep an incandescent bulb in that place.  Got a low wattage (small) CFL and it's been a couple of years of good service + it's brighter than the 15 watt unit I had in there before

Al
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »

One place where the CFL did work for me was in my range hood.  I could NOT keep an incandescent bulb in that place.  Got a low wattage (small) CFL and it's been a couple of years of good service + it's brighter than the 15 watt unit I had in there before
Al

Us too, the 13w CFL has been in there for years. I think they last there because of the intermittant use. Everywhere else they crap out constantly.

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2011, 11:10:28 AM »

You surely know we cannot get along in life without government help. Without Aunty Sam, we mindless citizens would be lost. I sleep better at night being told which lightbulb I should buy.

Joe,

Exactly ! And the few that may remain will have to raise prices to make up for the "economy of scale" losses.

Then again, why write the  laws in question  at all? Energy costs will drive the market and the people themselves are fully capable of determing cost effectiveness .

Time to clip Aunty Sam's wings .
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2011, 11:46:36 AM »

No government intervention is needed.  If the CFLs and LEDs really save money and last longer, people will eventually change over on their own accord.

Like the AM vs slopbucket wars of the 1960s.  If the League, all the ham magazines, radio clubs and self righteous individuals hadn't tried to force everyone to change over to SSB whether they wanted to or not, the majority of hams probably would have sooner or later quietly added SSB capability to their stations while maybe still using AM as well.  To-day's mode usage would most likely be about the same as it is (majority SSB but still some AM), but there would not be all the lingering animosity between the modes nor the memories of the "war", and deliberate interference might not be so prevalent.

I resented that high-pressure salesmanship campaign. That is what kept me from ever using slopbucket or even acquiring SSB capability to this day.

- - -
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2011, 12:39:18 PM »

I think they work great for work lamps, the kind you use for working on cars etc. No heat is the best part. So far, i haven't dropped one forcing me to call the state hazmat team.

Funny thing is I just made a post on this subject and it does not exist? Must have hit the mystery button again??

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
John Holotko

« Reply #89 on: August 01, 2011, 11:55:41 AM »

Nanny Nation is telling us how to live again.  I am sick of them telling us what is best "for our own good".

Here is a synopsis of the legislation and what will be affected.

http://donklipstein.com/incban.html

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015