The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:13:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Good modern receiver?  (Read 25128 times)
kd7ugy
« on: July 12, 2011, 04:36:44 PM »

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what I should look for as a good general coverage receiver to be used with a transmitter? I'm looking for something with excellent AM fidelity and selectable filters that I can hopefully pick up for under $1000. I've heard a lot of great things about Drake R8B's but those seem to be hard to find since they don't make them anymore. Are there any receivers I can buy new that will have a good sound on AM?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:46:00 PM »

A good working Racal RA6790, RA6793 holds a bunch of filters 7 I think and easy to find out to 16 KHz. The RA6830 is a half rack version that holds 5 filters of user choice. Cubic R3030 or R2411 are nice if you fix the AGC. Filters are hard coded in software so if you change them new BW's won't be displayed. Harris R590 or R590A or the mil version R2368 another nice unit. I think you can swap filters around in those units.
A good working R390A is still a very good receiver.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:54:37 PM »

I couldn't hazard a guess as to 'new' production that would be termed good. Huh

For you, I vote for the Hammarlund SP-600 with the outboard Sherwood detector.  You ought to be able get close on the $ with those.

Writing from 'Nothing Newer than an Octal-land.'  (Even though that RX hasn't a complete complement O' octals)

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 08:09:10 AM »

It's hard to beat an SDR!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:46:32 AM »

I agree with Bud but it needs a pakuter to operate
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 12:12:24 PM »

The AOR AR5000A is a nice little general purpose and quite conventional receiver. It has a knob. It is modestly priced and we use them at work for some jobs.

Even though it feels lightweight and like there is nothing in it, I love tuning the old WJ8711(REV whatever). It is a first gen DSP IF receiver and it is actually stiil in production from DRS Signal Solutions.

Mike WU2D

* normal_WJ-8711-_-HF1000-series-DSP-HF-Receiver.jpg (148.7 KB, 600x247 - viewed 1130 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »

But the price is do high Mike
Then there are the Cubic 3150, 3280 and all the DSP machines from WJ, Ten Tec etc.
w1vtp

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 12:47:32 PM »

What!  No mention of the Flex 1500 or 3000?  Either Rx section will do a very nice job in any application and does a great job on an AM signal
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 01:03:03 PM »

About the only tube radio Id recommend would be a 51J4 or a R-388/51J3 with the mechanical filter adaptor added. Bypass the CW filter for wide AM and the xtal filter notch can be real useful. Prices are reasonable, adding a nice external audio amp is easy. While the 390A is a great receiver its not a comfortable cruiser.

One other alternative would be a HRO-60 as the audio will blow your sox off but its not a radio for everyone, however it can cover 50KHz to 54MHz with the right coil sets. Not cheap any more and originals need a full recap, resistors replaced, etc.

A HRO-500 (completely SS) is already at or out of your price range and a full refurb isnt cheap but all done its an excellent cruiser.

The various R-8's have many happy owners, Ive never owned one long enough to really evaluate.

For modern stuff Id follow Franks input and also wait for JN to chime in.

Carl

KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 01:20:24 PM »

What!  No mention of the Flex 1500 or 3000?  Either Rx section will do a very nice job in any application and does a great job on an AM signal

Why only Flex?

There are dozens of new SDR's out there, some with many more features/capabilities than Flex.

Why my goodness there's even a few kits that perform as well and better than Flex, ( and some use the Flex software, or better),
in case anyone is actually inclined to build their own and have the experience, and save several hundred dollars.....

There's even some that do NOT need and external PC if that's what floats your boat.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »

Perseus or QSR1 for SDR are about the best. HPSDR more bucks and work but when my second RX arrives I will be able to beam rotate in software.
1/2 watt exciter has IMD3 <-55dBc
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 02:30:39 PM »

There is the Ten-Tec RX-340. I don't know anything about it other than the published specs, and none of those give a price.  I think it is supposed to be rated for military use.

http://swling.com/db/2011/01/ten-tec-rx-340/

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »

There is the Ten-Tec RX-340. I don't know anything about it other than the published specs, and none of those give a price.  I think it is supposed to be rated for military use.

http://swling.com/db/2011/01/ten-tec-rx-340/

$$: http://www.tentec.com/index.php?id=18

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 03:30:56 PM »

Not too expensive when compared to upper mid-line ham transceivers these days (not to even mention the top end stuff), but at that price I would still go ahead and fumble around with my "old junk".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 03:38:56 PM »

I wonder if  they ever produced the RX400?
kd7ugy
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 03:46:32 PM »

Thanks for all the input & info. Does anyone know the actual difference between the Drake R8B & R8A as far as how they sound listening on AM? I know the 2 main differences between those are number of memory channels & the synchronous detector but does that make a difference when it comes to how they sound on AM?
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 11:51:12 PM »

I have the straight R-8 and it's a great RXer.   Couple it with an external speaker and it sounds fine.  I'm not sure of the differences between all three, but the R-8 has a few irritating user interface issues (having to step thru the modes/bandwidths in a menu rather than selecting them directly) that was corrected with the later models.  The sync detector works fine and definitely improves the audio.

One of the best sounding RXers (with an envelope detector, rather than a sync detector) is the WJ 8716/8718.  You need an external audio amp, but with the AGC in slow mode it really sounds great.  The big downside of this RXer is it's not really set up to be used in conjunction with a transmitter.  There's no T/R standby (although you could easily enough modify the RF gain circuitry to do so) and more importantly the first mixer is really prone to being blown by high RF.  The M9E mixer is currently unobtanium, although with a bit of surgery the Minicircuits Level 17 mixers will work as a replacement.

I've never had any of the JRC receivers but several around here have, and from their comments I'd be staying away from them.  Icom R-71A and R-75, same - cheap construction, lots of phase noise, and raggedy audio (I had a R-71A and used a R-75, didn't like either one).

If you're beholden to a modern solid state RXer, in your price range, I'd be looking for a R-8 variant.  It does everything pretty well, and I've seen straight R-8s go on ebay for about 400 clams.  The R-8 uses top quality components and is easy to work on (mine blew a couple of PIN diodes in a lightning strike).

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WQ9E

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 01:17:13 AM »

Like John I have the straight R-8 and having to step through the filters sequentially is annoying but only a very minor annoyance.  The original R-8 uses an optical, rather than mechanical, encoder which is very reliable and it has a heavier metal tuning knob rather than the plastic type used with the mechanical encoder on the more recent receivers.

I rarely use sync detect on mine, it works fine but every sync detector has a non-zero time to lock and I often find it annoying during roundtables and impossible to use as a net control station.  This is largely a personal preference just as I have never been a fan of VOX for transmit use. 

Although it often sells for over $1,000 depending upon what options (extra filters, NB) are installed the earlier Drake R-7 is a great performer with good quality crystal filters and electronic pass band tuning.  I found (based upon the small sample of the one of each that I own) that the R-7 outdoes the newer R-8 when conditions are really tough.  But to get full advantage of the R-7 you will probably want some of the optional filters and optional noise blanker.  It does NOT have sync detection (but does provide for exalted carrier AM detection) nor memories unless you opt for the pricey and expensive RV-75 remote VFO.  The R-8 uses L/C type filters like the earlier Drake 2 line and R-4 through R-4B series.

I really like my WJ-8716 also, very nice audio (which becomes rather "interesting" if you select the ISB option on AM).

I have an older JRC NRD-515 receiver I picked up recently.  It is mechanically very well built and the phase noise is not too bad and reportedly for better than some of their later models.  Memory is only available through an outboard accessory.

I have several of the JA built more modern GC receivers (Kenwood R-5000 and 2000, Yaesu FRG-8800, Icom R-71A) and they are OK but nothing special and definitely inferior to the choices mentioned previously.  If general coverage wasn't a requirement the ham band only Kenwood R-599 is a fine and compact performer with all accessories built in.  The more expensive and later R-820 (which could be paired with the TS-820S for transceive usage) covers a few of the shortwave bands.  It is also a very nice receiver but may not come with all of the filters and tends to be expensive when it shows up on ebay.  I bought mine for $150 from Universal because it didn't work, a replacement transistor cured that and all of the filter slots were filled so it was one of the better gambles I have taken on non-functional gear.

Rodger WQ9E
kg8lb
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 08:31:03 AM »

The Drake R8A and R8 are great values . The higher priced (usually) R8B is still a good value but sells often at prices 2 to 3 times the R8/R8A. The R8 does make you step through all the filters and for just a few $$ more you can get the A model probably the best deal of the bunch. Good audio and a very effective passband tuning. The main advantage IMHO to the R8B is the improved synchronous detector .

The older JRCs are probably a better bet than the later offerings from that company. Be aware also that JRC support is piss poor to not at all !
I have oned an NRD 535 and an NRD 545. The NRD 545 was a very noisy bugger when there was no real signal present , relied heavily on the DSP to clean things up. It is very "pretty" and the ergonomics are also about as good as you get on modern boxes. The passband tuning and continuously adjustable bandwidth controls made for SDR like tuning . The downside , along with the noise is the factory support. I bought mine just as the company was dropping consumer RXs from their offerings. About 45 days from new it just quit putting out audio. Sent it back to Universal and they got it "kinda" working. The mute function would not work properly upon return. It went back again . After a considerable wait for the repairs on the less than 2 month old $1800 box Universal said that JRC was not supplying parts as they had dropped the NRD 545 from their lineup ! At that point they offered a full refund and I took them up on the offer.
 Compare the JRC support to Drake ! The R8A is out of production for about 10 years now but Drake will still provide excellent service for most any service situation on that RX. The price of the Drake service and parts is also better than average.
  Among the later boatanchor receivers ,IMHO the R-725 is a very fine hybrid that uses the excellent LC filters from the older R-390 to replace the econo-mechanical filters in an R-390A . Somewhat hard to find but a real treasure when you land one ! The R-725 is my personal favorite for boatanchor SWLing . Add the on board push pull audio for a very nice handling package.

Flex has no corner on SDR ! We have been very impressed with the PMSDR from Italy. Verboten from the hamshack, the SDR resides next to the XYL's computer in the big building .
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 09:06:10 AM »

I2PHD was giving away SDR software befor Flex could spell SDR
The Italians have some nice products like the Perseus
kg8lb
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 09:16:24 AM »

I2PHD was giving away SDR software befor Flex could spell SDR

I like that line !  Grin
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 12:02:05 PM »

Icom IC-R9500. Best modern receiver I've used. Vastly superior to the Ten Tec RX-340.
kg8lb
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 12:05:09 PM »

.....I'm looking for something with excellent AM fidelity and selectable filters that I can hopefully pick up for under $1000.....
  What is the cost of the Icom 9500 ?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »

.....I'm looking for something with excellent AM fidelity and selectable filters that I can hopefully pick up for under $1000.....
  What is the cost of the Icom 9500 ?

$$: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/widerxvr/0095.html

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2011, 01:02:57 PM »

And then there is the AOR AR-Alpha wide range receiver for under $10K

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands