The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:57:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 40  (Read 17136 times)
ve6pg

« on: June 16, 2011, 12:16:47 AM »

..before this is moved to the 40m section...is anyone on tonite?...i'm calling on 7285...

..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 12:20:57 AM »

a pre-emptive strike!! Cheesy  I'm working tonight Tim.  Sad

AMI#1684
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 07:25:31 AM »

Would be nice to establish a new or alternate 'calling frequency' for night time 40 meter operations. Broadcast stations occupy 7285 and come and go on 7290 and 7295 most of the evening here in the northeast.

I realize that we can operate anywhere in the band ... and that some think there's no need for a 'window' or 'calling frequency' ... but for myself (and others I've talked to) I'm in the shack working on projects away from the operating position and leave the receiver 'parked' on a frequency hoping to hear some activity for a possible QSO. Broadcast on 7285, 7290 and 7295 (and their sidebands) make this part of the band almost unusable at night here in the northeast.

Many nights 7250 is clear. Thoughts?     

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:57:25 AM »

Would be nice to establish a new or alternate 'calling frequency' for night time 40 meter operations. Broadcast stations occupy 7285 and come and go on 7290 and 7295 most of the evening here in the northeast.

I realize that we can operate anywhere in the band ... and that some think there's no need for a 'window' or 'calling frequency' ... but for myself (and others I've talked to) I'm in the shack working on projects away from the operating position and leave the receiver 'parked' on a frequency hoping to hear some activity for a possible QSO. Broadcast on 7285, 7290 and 7295 (and their sidebands) make this part of the band almost unusable at night here in the northeast.

Many nights 7250 is clear. Thoughts?     

I like it.  I'm afraid to say 7160 is not a really good frequency for late night/ early morning operation.  There are often dx sideband station there or on 7158. 

Now, there is much less occupancy lower around 7.130 in my experience.

But the 7250 idea might be a good one.  Above 7.200 ssb is rarely heard.  It's only BC stations and the holes between them.

AMI#1684
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:15:11 AM »

It seems we are all needing a radio fix. Another thread similar to this one somewhere. The A.M. type.......Glad to read that the digital modes and CW are being checked out, as they are a form of radio fix. May not be the ole buzzard 10 minute transmission. In fact there is a digital form of QSO's on 40M that are strictly "canned' responses" , like contest contact info. You watch what the other end sends you and you respond to the appropriate "F key on your keyboard.
MaNature is making a lot of racket and since we are Don, K4KYV's favorite time, DST.....we are delayed or now one hour later to get into the shack..............by 10PM, lately, I'm finished.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
ve6pg

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 11:35:05 AM »

..it werked on monday night..7220, but there was a bit of noise...i get home about midnite fred, and condx were ok last night..no bc stations on 7285, band pretty quiet too..ok, i'll look again tonite..maybe 7250, oe 7220. etc...

..tim..

..sk..

W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 03:41:09 PM »

Agree that 7160 probably isn't the best place to plunk down a carrier ... although legally there's no reason not to. There was a fair amount of AM activity on 7160 right after the phone band expansion a few years back but haven't heard any there in a while. Probably best not to 'trash' the DX that normally inhabits that area of the band.

Will keep an eye out around 7250 + or -.   

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 04:44:28 PM »

Tim: Why not just post it in the 40 meter section where it belongs?
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:14:25 PM »

I'll take a stab at answering that on Steve.  Posting in this section will get more exposure.  Lot's of people don't bother with the band section.

AMI#1684
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 09:24:30 PM »

It seems we are all needing a radio fix. Another thread similar to this one somewhere. The A.M. type.......Glad to read that the digital modes and CW are being checked out, as they are a form of radio fix. May not be the ole buzzard 10 minute transmission. In fact there is a digital form of QSO's on 40M that are strictly "canned' responses" , like contest contact info. You watch what the other end sends you and you respond to the appropriate "F key on your keyboard.
Fred

This is why I gravitate towards Hellschreiber, OLIVIA and Contestia modes when running digital.  The operators in those modes actually ragchew with kb to kb QSO's.  PSK is so boring with the "canned macro" QSOs.

Also, there is something called JT65-HF which works with VERY little power for DX contacts even at 3 am on 20 meters.  It takes about 7 minutes to exchange callsign, location and report.   People actually call it their favorite mode.... AHHHHHH BORING!!!! But, to each their own.  Live and let live!

AMI#1684
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 09:27:03 PM »

And they never will if no one ever posts there. Please post your band specific topics in the Band Watch section. Thanks.

I'll take a stab at answering that on Steve.  Posting in this section will get more exposure.  Lot's of people don't bother with the band section.
ve6pg

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2011, 12:00:39 AM »

...john has it right steve...i'm on dial-up, no other option, and to navigate from one page to the next, is painfully slow...

..tim..

..sk..

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2011, 12:42:08 AM »

I find the layout of amfone pretty optimal as-is.  I have a cable modem but I use dial-up occasionally when I'm on vacation.

If I'm interested in current 40 meter activity I can see from the main page right away if there are new posts on that topic by virtue of the fact that the "light" next to the "40 meters" section is lit.  If I click on that light it takes me to the new posts re 40 meters. Seems pretty efficient to me.  If someone posts something re 40 meters in the QSO section I may have to wade through a couple of pages of topics to find it.  Couple that with the usual thread highjacking in the QSO section and it could take a very long time to find especially on dial-up.

I find amfone is fairly quick over a dialup link and thats from Europe BTW.

If its still not fast enough for you, you can use the WAP version at http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php/wap2.html which is a stripped down, text oriented version meant for mobile browsers.  That version is very fast.

Sam / KS2AM

--- Post No Bills ---
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 01:49:04 AM »

Wow!  That's pretty neat, a wap version!  Who knew?  Maybe there should be a link ... maybe there is but I haven't seen it.

AMI#1684
ve6pg

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 10:55:25 AM »

..band was quiet this morning...called on 7285/7200/7220 and 7260....no takers...shut down abt 1:45am....

..tim..

..sk..

ve6pg

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 12:50:49 PM »

..might try agn tonite, just after midnite, eastern...

..tim..

..sk..

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 01:52:12 AM »

20 meters was a bust.

I'm tuning up on 7.290 and hanging out listening... occasionally cq'ing... maybe somebody will wanna play.

AMI#1684
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015