The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 10:19:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Aerial vs Antenna  (Read 39784 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 01:37:18 PM »

Yes, Radio Shack is one of those things you can get a cynical pleasure out of having contempt for or making fun of. Walt's story is a clear example of what I mean.

Now, that brings up another point.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with putting a preposition at the end of a sentence if it makes the meaning clear.  That non-rule must have been suggested by some old fuddy-duddy who couldn't find anything real to gripe about.  Look how absurdly cumbersome the above sentences become when one goes to all the trouble of not placing the preposition at the end: ...things for which you can get a cynical pleasure out of having contempt, or of which to make fun... anything real about which to gripe.   Roll Eyes

Another mistake I see all the time, even in professional writing and ad copy where the author should know better, is the use of "it's" to show possession.  It's is a contraction of it is and nothing else, and should never relate to that which belongs to it. That should be spelt its without the apostrophe, just as we don't write hi's or her's (I have seen people use the latter, as well as your's, our's and their's).

Another one is the misuse of the apostrophe to show plural, often seen on signs: Fresh Oyster's For Sale, Used Car's.

Then there is current flow.

How about DC current, AC current and the i.f. frequency?  ...Well at least that's not as bad spelling ham (as in ham radio) all capitals, and/or leaving the radio part out of the phrase.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 01:50:27 PM »

I just like to plug in the microphonium and crank up the scrote knob till the diaperpole melts.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »

When I was a kid aerials were used for radios and antennas were used for TV's.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »

Another word that I have started using lately to raise curiosity is "doublet"  No more dipole or OWL.

That is another of my peeves. Using abbreviations for words.

Texting must drive you nuts then?  I know when my kids started substituting things like OMG etc into there speech, I quickly put a stop to that, at least when they are talking to me.  I pointed out how stupid they sounded and I think it actually worked...

For almost ten years, I did not acknowledge wireless text messages that were rife with unauthorized abbreviations and acronyms. Now I have a cellular phone that does not receive text messages and I no longer have to manually ignore them.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
DMOD
AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »

Then there is current flow

I know this may sound SMUG, but current is actually "Charge" flow, as in electrons.

Regarding Radio Shack, here there is a RS with a knowledgeable, attractive female who knows a lot about electronic components. It's actually refreshing to speak to someone who knows somethin about electronic components and where they are located in the store.

Phil - AC0OB

Charlie Eppes: Dad would be so happy if we married a doctor.
Don Eppes: Yeah, well, Dad would be happy if I married someone with a pulse.NUMB3RS   Smiley
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2011, 09:31:01 PM »

When I was a kid aerials were used for radios and antennas were used for TV's.

[language police mode]

Another one is the misuse of the apostrophe to show plural, often seen on signs: Fresh Oyster's For Sale, Used Car's.

[/language police mode]

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 08:46:43 PM »

Right. The current doesn't flow. It is the result of electron/charge flow. This is no different than the current in a river - it is the result of flowing water.

Then of course, we cannot forget about SWRs. Got HAM?

Then there is current flow

I know this may sound SMUG, but current is actually "Charge" flow, as in electrons.

Regarding Radio Shack, here there is a RS with a knowledgeable, attractive female who knows a lot about electronic components. It's actually refreshing to speak to someone who knows somethin about electronic components and where they are located in the store.

Phil - AC0OB
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 10:40:51 PM »

I just couldn't resist...

Grin

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 12:29:21 PM »

OK, How about skyhook? It's non specific Grin  Grin

And one must always remember that "the crux of the biscuit is the apostrophy."  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 02:35:52 PM »

Please don't rub it in.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015