vertical antennas

<< < (3/22) > >>

N8LGU:
    I had to cut down my skyhook 90' pine tree. That left me with nothing to support a high dipole/inverted "V" for 80M. In desperation I installed a Hustler 5BTV with a tilt base and radial plate from DX Engineering. Also pinned 40 25' radial to the grass.
    Result: If I can hear 'em, I can work 'em. And I can hear a lot.
No it's probably not as good as a dipole overall, but in some ways it's probably better. It does have some downsides: Expensive. Labor intensive. Has to be precisely tuned. No wiggle room on 80M.http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=27315.msg208313#msg208313

KM1H:
Verticals work fine over poor ground if you use elevated radials. My 160 and 80M DX results from this hilltop rock pile speak for themselves.

Verticals on high ground got a bad rap in the early days of AM BCB because the poor ground and on ground radials destroyed the surface wave part of the lobe. It took over 75 years for the FCC to get away from their 1920's mind set and authorize elevated radials.

Carl

KX5JT:
I agree with Carl.  I put up a Zero Five elevated ground plane for 40 through 10 a couple months ago.  It's doing FB on those bands with my tuner.  15 meter AM into Europe and all over the world in other modes much easier than my inv vees.

ve6pg:
..what's a "zero five" ?....never heard of it...

..sk..

KX5JT:
Quote from: ve6pg on May 29, 2011, 10:11:55 AM

..what's a "zero five" ?....never heard of it...

..sk..

http://www.zerofive-antennas.com/

I build my own wire antennas, but I couldn't build an aluminum tubing vertical as good as Tom @ Zero Five. 

The version I have uses a 26 foot radiator and 6 ridged aluminum radials 100 inches long.  The radials are above my roof line.  It's designed to work with a wide range tuner via a 5kw matching transformer for 40 through 10 meters.  It works better than anything I had up for the higher bands.  I wanted a simple elegant antenna since we are heading towards a peak in the cycle.  Beams and rotors are beyond my present finances.

I still use my 80/40 meter parallel inv vee for 80/40 "local" work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands