The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:04:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: heath HG-10 VFO  (Read 3379 times)
W4RFM

« on: June 08, 2011, 01:39:03 PM »

So I decided to make my VFO stand alone and not have to be plugged into a Heath product or other box for the 140vdc and filaments.  I found a small enough transformer, that can be mounted on the rear of the chassis, and there is room for a half wave rectifier and filter cap on the inside.  Has anyone done this with good or bad results? Thanks.

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
kg8lb
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »

Yes, it has been done by quite a few folks. Seems to work well . Some people build the PS into a minibox with a socket attached and the line cord . The minbox then piggy-back on to the VFO.
  I know there are pros-cons and endless nay-sayers but I leave my self powered VFOs on 24-7 . So far the only side effect is good stability  Wink
W4RFM

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »

I found a mini Bud box after I posted, and thought the same thing, I will build it all in the box and put a 9 pin octal on it for the factory cable. Worst case, I add two/three screw holes to the Heath chassis!
Thanks Gary.

BOB / W4RFM  \\\\\\\"I have looked far and wide, (I also checked near and narrow)\\\\\\\"
W4AMV

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 01:58:20 PM »

Gary, I have an HG10 which I received and it was modified to run on a supply other than the DX60. I re-wired it back since I had a DX60 to interface for its operation. In any case, the point, in the HG10 manual, they discuss this operation of a re-wire for other supplies. So you should look at the DX60 op manual if any questions come up in your mind.

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015