The AM Forum
April 24, 2024, 09:40:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave K3ZRF - Silent Key  (Read 95256 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2011, 09:08:06 AM »

Right on Frank!  I miss Dave as well.  I want to give a call to his widow Pam later today just to check in and see how she is doing.
Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2011, 09:16:32 AM »

Well put Frank.

I had my first colonoscopy 3 years ago.  I didn't know what it would cost and didn't care what it would cost me.  I was going to have it done as I was overdue by the age standard.  It turned out that the charge was $1000, but all was paid by my insurance plan, not a penny out of pocket.

As the guys say, the prior 24 hours of preparation is hell (at home) and the procedure is real smooth where I went.  I think I had an i-v of Valium or something like that to start with.  I never felt more relaxed and comfortable in my life.  My gurney was wheeled into the procedure room and the anesthesiologist doctor asked me something and the next thing I knew I was waking in my bed back at the curtained spot where I started the day.  I asked myself "When is this thing going to get started?"  Then as my head cleared I figured out it was all over!  This is the first time I've been knocked out since my tonsilectomy in ~ 1958.

They kept me there a little while to re-gain proper sense.  They fed me some food and drink.  You are not allowed to drive yourself out of there.  My wife picked me up.  I would say that I was a bit out of it yet when my wife and I walked out of the facility.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »

Tom,

When I had mine afterwards I had a big craving for a Turkey sandwich.  Normally I can't stand turkey!  We went to a local deli and I had that Turkey sandwich.  Never had one since!

Your right about the sleep cycle.  I wish I slept that well on my own.  When I was somewhat awake, the Dr. told me the results saying things looked good.  He did snip a few polyps and they were benign. 

I just talked to Dave's widow Pam on the phone.  Its a tuff day for her as I knew it would be. 

Joe, W3GMS   

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2011, 02:29:44 PM »

The gastrointerologist (sp?) who does mine once said "there is no excuse for anyone dying of colon cancer".

We are fortunate to live in an exceptional period in history, with modern day medical technology, as inadequate as it often seems.  Out of the 100,000 years or so that modern humans are believed to have existed on the planet, even as recently as 35 years ago, the routine colonoscopy was not an option. The best option was a "procto" exam with a rigid tube, that only checked out the bottom (descending) end of the colon.  That still was worthwhile, since something like 80% of the problems occur in that part.  But it wouldn't have helped me; my "suspicious" one was located way up at the far end, where the large and small intestines join. It was safely removed, but a "proctoscopy" would not have detected it.

I don't know what type of cancer led to Dave's demise, but my sympathies go out to his wife Pam and family.  I'll miss the on-air presence of the man from "Li Titz".

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2011, 03:16:36 PM »

Don,

Yes, technology in the medical field has really come a long way.  We are lucky in that respect.  The insurance companies are another story. 

The next time I call Pam, I will certainly pass along your kind words.  She may be checking this site, but not sure on that. 

One of my favorite times with Dave was when we were out on Thomas Point Lighthouse operating as a special event station with vintage AM gear.   

We had some of the local AM'ers in a few years back and Dave and Pam made the event.  Of coarse, I had some of my hot peppers all cooked up and we had hot wings as well.  The enjoyment of seeing Dave eating those hot peppers and the hot wings was something I will never forget. 

The memories are strong and hopefully lasting...

Enjoy every day we have and forget the small stuff.  One of my sayings is "You can always make money but you can't buy time".

Joe, W3GMS   

n1exi

« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2011, 10:58:44 AM »

i am in total shock - nothing creeps me out more than sk with a callsign
w1vtp

« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2011, 05:34:57 PM »

Guys

Age 40 is a good age to have both baselines done.  I have a brother-in-law (age 54) who is going in for a prostactomy 27th of this month. The prognosis does not look good.

Remember, it's a baseline check so the doc can see if there is any change.  Don is especially right about CC.  There really is no excuse to have an advanced case, but the baseline needs to be there.

Never met Dave - but I think most hams are just great people to be with

Al
WA3VJB
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2011, 08:41:18 PM »

My sister died at age 40 from Colon Cancer. //
Joe, W3GMS   

I don't think I knew that, Joe, what a pisser.  Well, Josh, Dave's son, pictured below, is already well aware that he's got to pay attention to his health.  He's in his 30s now.  I first met him at the Gaithersburg hamfest in 1977, a babe-in-arms.  Some of you have seen a snapshot I took at the time.

Look at him now !  Quite the strapping lad.

Same insouciant look as his old man ...

* Son-of-ZRF.jpg (694.32 KB, 867x1188 - viewed 976 times.)
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #83 on: May 12, 2011, 09:42:53 PM »

Paul said:

He's missing the 'heavy duty mustache!'  Grin

Well, having just crossed the ole 'fifty laps around the sun' myself, I had my PSA done at work. My family Dr. will set up the colonoscopy check. Probably in August. Dave is probably beaming down at us for the fact that we are remembering him by 'people looking up our behinds.' I'm certain he would be snickering with approval. God Bless Ya Dave!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »

Having seen baby pictures of Dave at the funeral, I can verify he was not born with that mustache, even though most of use have never seen him without it! Pam says he grew it at age 19 and never shaved it off.

Some of Dave and Pam from 2007.

* zrfgdglinr29dec072049z3735.mp3 (1994.65 KB - downloaded 527 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2011, 12:33:06 PM »

My sister died at age 40 from Colon Cancer. //
Joe, W3GMS   

I don't think I knew that, Joe, what a pisser.  Well, Josh, Dave's son, pictured below, is already well aware that he's got to pay attention to his health.  He's in his 30s now.  I first met him at the Gaithersburg hamfest in 1977, a babe-in-arms.  Some of you have seen a snapshot I took at the time.

Look at him now !  Quite the strapping lad.

Paul,

We had a nice chat with Josh at the restaurant and enjoyed hearing the stories and his plans.  He was in the Marines over in Iraq and it was interesting hearing the stories. 

You could tell Josh has a lot of respect for his Dad.

Joe, W3GMS 

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2011, 12:36:29 PM »

Having seen baby pictures of Dave at the funeral, I can verify he was not born with that mustache, even though most of use have never seen him without it! Pam says he grew it at age 19 and never shaved it off.

Some of Dave and Pam from 2007.

Steve,

Great audio clip!  I am sure I have Dave in the early days somewhere on my multiple 7" real to real tapes.  I need to dub those off soon before they are not able to be played anymore.  Bert, WA3JYU has been doing a great job doing that with his old tapes.

Joe, W3GMS

WA3VJB
« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2011, 10:24:58 AM »

"It's good when you can hear the other guy smile."

Dave, commenting on some good band conditions one afternoon, in a recording made and distributed by Bert, WA3JYU.

Finally found the fortitude to slip it in the dash CD player this morning on the way to work.

Sigh.

DemAmazins
« Reply #88 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:56 PM »

I just wanted to say thank you to all of the individuals whom came to see my dad in the hospital before he passed. Every little quip and quote brought a smile to his face. He loved the radio and all of those whom he regularly talked with. Thank you for all of your support. Josh

* Pleez Giv.JPG (1753.42 KB, 2048x1536 - viewed 935 times.)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #89 on: May 17, 2011, 10:16:27 PM »

Josh, thanks much for checking in.  Your dad was sure proud of you and spoke of you often on the radio. 

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #90 on: May 17, 2011, 10:31:36 PM »

Josh: We were lucky to have known your Dad and have him as a friend. He will be missed.

Joe: I have some stuff on tape too, but it only dates to the early 90's. I'll post more of Dave soon.

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #91 on: May 17, 2011, 10:46:45 PM »

Josh: We were lucky to have known your Dad and have him as a friend. He will be missed.

Joe: I have some stuff on tape too, but it only dates to the early 90's. I'll post more of Dave soon.

Josh,
It was nice meeting you at your Dad service and afterwards when we had time to chat. 

We were so glad the we had that last visit with your Dad at the Hospice center.  It was a tuff visit, but we were glad that it happened and the smile on his face when I brought him that big tube in the flower pot was a smile I will never ever forget. 

Steve,
I look forward to hearing those tapes!  Hopefully this winter I will be able to start dubbing my tapes from the 60's, 70.s and 80's onto CD.  Time marches on and those need to be preserved along with the those others folks have been working on. 

Anyone check-in with Pam lately?  I called last Wednesday and it was a tuff day for her.     

Joe, W3GMS

W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:13 AM »

Hey Josh,

Considering the circumstances it was good hanging with you the two trips I made down to Lancaster county. The visit before had to be one of the toughest and gut wrenching things I have ever experienced in life.  I never new what sad was until this happened.

Your father was a good friend and a great man. He will be missed but he will always be alive in our hearts.

Be cool

Gary

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
WA3VJB
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2011, 07:05:31 AM »

Anyone check-in with Pam lately?  I called last Wednesday and it was a tuff day for her.     

Joe, W3GMS

Yeah Joe, I talked with her Monday. She was hangin' with Paul and Maggie at the shore. Seemed okay, but sure, there's this awful emptiness coming through.

JOSH -- I will email to Pam the photos you took with my camera of friends and family when we met up.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »

Joe, W3GMS

Yeah Joe, I talked with her Monday. She was hangin' with Paul and Maggie at the shore. Seemed okay, but sure, there's this awful emptiness coming through.

JOSH -- I will email to Pam the photos you took with my camera of friends and family when we met up.

Paul,

Thanks for the update on Pam.  Glad she is with good friends. 

Joe, W3GMS

WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2011, 05:43:32 PM »

In my mind, Dave will be always young, always funny, always kind, always insightful, always alive. And he'll always have that twinkle in his eye.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2011, 09:59:07 PM »

This is a difficult struggle I'm having. I think many here have had other friends/family passed due to some form of consumption, (cancer, but I call it what it really is!). The struggle is it best to comfort and console friends as they pass on and always live with those final snap-shots or to shy away and remember them being vibrant and full of life? I'm kind of ambivilant to it all. My lasting memory of Dave will be when Frank hosted the last 'get-together' after Timonium. He and his big mustache, and hardy handshake will be the lasting memory of the ZRF-man.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2011, 07:11:18 AM »

Some years back, I had to go to 7 funerals of close friends and family members. I was pretty yellafied and bummed out about the whole thing. I was just learning to cope with it when a close friend and co-worker left me with a thought that has stayed with me for many years.

He said: (this is an exact quote) " You know that you are getting older when you find that you know as many MFs as you do live ones"

That saying has stayed with me ever since. We are all getting older and find ourselves loosing many of the ones that are close and / or dear to us. Now, especially after checking out twice myself and returning to be able to think about it. It never gets any easier, but you just gotta learn to push on. I have learned to cherish every minute that I am able to spend with those that are close to me. I look at every minute that I get to stay on this rock as a gift and a blessing!

Just always remember, no matter how bad it seems, someone else has it worse than you and would give anything to be in your shoes! ! !

ANY DAY ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE GRASS IS A GOOD DAY! ! ! ! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2011, 07:17:38 AM »

I allready miss Dave terribly!! The WFDN just isnt the same without him! ! ! !

I said it before, and I'll say it again, Dave was one of those special people that you just couldn't not like! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2011, 11:19:49 AM »

I often think what would Dave say if we could communicate with him directly? 

He was a very humble person with a zero ego factor. 

One vision I get is seeing Dave twisting his mustache and saying "shit happens" but keep eating those hot peppers!  He would probably go on and said look at how many experiences I had in my life.  Did a hell of a lot but shit happens....Enjoy the ride...

Joe, W3GMS 

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015