The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 03:12:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave K3ZRF - Silent Key  (Read 95188 times)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 06:12:48 PM »

A wonderful radio wake is occurring right now on 3733 kHZ AM for Dave K3ZRF.  Many of the "local" AM'ers are at Dave's shack operating his station in Denver Pennsylvania.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2011, 06:17:08 PM »

NOTE - The K3ZRF Wake/What's For Dinner Net has just QSY'ed to 3725 KHz.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2011, 07:05:47 PM »

Will Miss Dave, Great to hear all honoring him today.. here's a recording I made while chatting with him, and hope it puts a smile
to your face too.. Grin

* K3ZRF_08_27_09.mp3 (1240.86 KB - downloaded 579 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 08:09:32 PM »

Chuck, your recording pretty much sums up what was going on, tonight.

And actually, Dave was there, this whole time, listen:

* ZRF-Presence.mp3 (1827.1 KB - downloaded 610 times.)
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2011, 08:52:10 PM »

Amen schonny.

KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2011, 09:03:39 PM »

Fitting and proper.

Bill KA8WTK
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2011, 09:11:14 PM »

Just read this and can't believe it. Just one heck of a guy and a great AM'er, rip Dave....
WA3VJB
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2011, 09:14:04 AM »

Dave's fatal illness has prompted me to go get checked. Do yourself and your family a favor and get yourself a colonoscopy.

The peace of mind will be valuable if you're all clear, as will having nicked it early otherwise, both thanks to the test results.  

Practicing what I preach, I'm scheduled for today, about two hours from now.

* ZRF-Av.jpg (27.27 KB, 100x111 - viewed 923 times.)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »

Wifey went and scheduled me during my next trip back home in June....

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2011, 10:23:16 AM »

Around 6 or 7 years ago, a pretty well known local vintage radio collector (I am not identifying him because I'm not sure how his family would feel about my doing that) revealed in a local 75 m. roundtable that he had been diagnosed with colon cancer after he went in to see his doctor about chronic indigestion.   He battled it for the following 18 months but the cancer won.   He was in his mid to late 50s at the time, and at one point in the ensuing months told those of us who would gather to chat on weekends on 75, that his doctor told him if he had gotten a colonoscopy when he turned 50, they would have found that tumor and nipped it in the bud.   I didn't need any more motivation and got my first one a few months later.  I'll be due for my second one in 2 years.   He was one of those hams who owned or had owned just about every piece of vintage gear ever made and knew it all from the power cord to the mic or speaker jack and was a walking encyclopedia of boat anchor information and we still miss him.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2011, 11:01:19 AM »

My sister died at age 40 from Colon Cancer.  They normally do not start screening until age 50.  She left a Husband and 3 small children behind.  We had never before had any history of Cancer in our family.  She was in great health until that occurred.     

So I made sure I got checked out.  I have to thank my wife Martha for bugging the crap out of me to have my first check-out done.  Due to my family risk I have to have one every 5 years.  Normally its once every 10 years.  Fortunately every checkup shows no problems. The worst is just the cleaning out process the day and evening before the exam. 

Don't think, "it can't happen to me".

Great Paul on you getting your check-up today.

Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
K3ZS

« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »

No need to be apprehensive about a colonoscopy, with the sedation you never know what happened.   Also get an annual PSA test.   They have saved my life, been cancer free for 11 years.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2011, 11:41:37 AM »

Good input on the PSA test which is nothing more than part of your yearly blood work.  Finding a problem early is the best way to beat it! 
Joe, W3GMS 

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2011, 12:26:50 PM »

I did mine about a month ago. They found five polyps and all turned out to be non cancerous. There was no pain and other than some discomfort during the examination, it wasn't all that bad. I added some detail just to let others know that it's not a big deal to have it done.

Like Larry the cable guy says, "Get er done!"   

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2011, 12:37:26 PM »

I felt the same way: Nah, not me........... While I was in the horsepistol past year they cornered me into getting one (I was 54+) The worst part was the cleanout. The actual procedure was absolutely no big deal. They knocked me out, and when I woke up it was over. ABSOLUTELY no big deal, especially for the peace of mind that it gives you. A good insurance policy!!

Dont be a wimp, just "Git er done"!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2011, 03:46:25 PM »

6/2/11 @ 7:45 am

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »

No need to be apprehensive about a colonoscopy, with the sedation you never know what happened.   Also get an annual PSA test.   They have saved my life, been cancer free for 11 years.

Man, this is beginning to sound like 75m slopbucket on a weekday evening!

I agree regarding the colonoscopy.  I had my first one about 10 years ago and they found some polyps, including one that was suspicious in nature.  All were safely removed, and I have been on a 3-year regimen ever since.  Each time, although the count has always dwindled from the previous time, they have removed more polyps, including another one that looked "suspicious".  The Dr. told me they normally take about 8 years from when they first appear to become cancerous, and while most are completely benign, that would put me now well past the 8-year mark from my first exam.

They say have your first one at age 50 if everything seems normal.  I had mine well into my mid 50s as a result of an unrelated issue that turned out to be OK, but it was something I kept putting off, planning to have done "a little later".

The procedure itself is not a bad experience.  He always sedates me to the point that I fade completely out, and it seems like only a couple of minutes till I wake up, even though the exam actually takes the better part of an hour. My wife had her first one done several years ago, and her Dr. didn't give her enough anaesthesia, and she had a lot of discomfort. Since then, she has gone to the same Dr. that I do, with no discomfort at all. 

What really sucks though, is the preparation the day before.  No solid food, only clear liquids all day, and then in the evening start downing a large volume of yucky liquid stuff over a period of 2-3 hours.  Don't even think about getting on the radio.  You might be able to use the computer if you have a laptop and wireless router, and your loo is within signal range.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 03:56:58 PM »

Don,
Well the prep is better than not doing it and having a problem! 
I guess you can tell we are all getting up there.  This kind of stuff nobody talks about earlier in life.  Then again, we you see someone you know become a silent key from the big "C" it wakes you up.  Its a shame that it works that way but it does.

Gary,
Good deal on your scheduled date. 
It was good chatting when you were down. 

Joe, W3GMS   

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2011, 05:04:51 PM »

Man, this is beginning to sound like 75m slopbucket on a weekday evening!

That dadgum stuff they make ya drank, they got it down ta 1/2 gallon now & it tastes like gateraide

W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »

Practicing what I preach, I'm scheduled for today, about two hours from now.

Hope it went well Paul. I had my "7 year" checkup last week and all was well. As others have mentioned in the thread, the day before is quite crappy, and the 64 ounce "Miralax mixed with Gatorade" regimen was not terribly pleasant, but the actual procedure is a breeze. This time around they gave me propofol, which is the anesthesia that Michael Jackson had administered every night at sleepy time in never-never land. It puts you out completely, and when you wake up, it feels like you've had the best night's sleep ever. I can understand why Jack-o mandated this every night. At any rate, no one should avoid this test. It's painless and it could save your life.

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2011, 07:49:34 PM »

The secret is to schedule the procedure early in the morning.  That way you do the prep the night before, go to bed, wake up and get it over with, then eat breakfast and get on with life.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »

The secret is to schedule the procedure early in the morning.  That way you do the prep the night before, go to bed, wake up and get it over with, then eat breakfast and get on with life.

You should always do that for any procedure.  The doctor or surgeon is fresh and ready to go, and no delay has accumulated over the course of several appointments, some of which inevitably take longer than anticipated.  Most importantly, the odds of something going wrong are much less with an early morning appointment, versus one late in the day.

http://www.bottomlinesecrets.com/article.html?article_id=40276

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2011, 11:49:32 PM »

Well, here we are...it's now US who are P&Ming about our prostates and colon health...

Yeah the "Fleet" colonoscopy prep is not much fun, but I agree, you do feel great for the rest of day the when you wake up afterward! 

We have a friend who was diagnosed with colon cancer in his early 40s ...way before they usual 50 year rule of thumb for starting screening...luckily they seem to have got it all and he is in remission now.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2011, 07:33:30 AM »

Chris,

See my posting a few threads up.  My sister died at 40 of Colon Cancer.  Your right, normal screening does not start until 50.  Well since its in our family my daughter had her first screening at 32.  All was fine.
I hope your friend continues to do well.

Joe, W3GMS 

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #74 on: May 11, 2011, 08:44:19 AM »

this thread has gotten off topic, but you know, this is actually a good thing.

I allready miss Dave severely, and have been torn up pretty badly since getting the news from Pam, he is not someone you can replace. Things will never be the same on 75 without him. But.................

If this thread's discussion of colonoscopies, and colon cancer saves just one person out of all that read this thread, at least he didn't die in vain! ! ! ! ! 

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015