The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:51:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dave K3ZRF - Silent Key  (Read 94832 times)
W1IA

« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2011, 07:33:32 PM »

WOW....Very sad.  I will miss his him and the fun at Deerfield and the "Whats for dinner Net" Pam please take care.

Best Wishes
Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »

I am very saddened by the news of Dave's passing.  He was a well-respected gentleman with a wonderful sense of humor.  

I first met Dave and Pam in the 1990s at the FarFest at Gaithersburg MD.  I saw them last at NEAR-Fest VIII in October 2010 with Paul W2JTD and Maggie.  I shall miss seeing Dave and Pam at NEAR-Fest.

A moment's silence in memory of K3ZRF will be held at NEAR-Fest this coming weekend.  Our condolences to Pam and his family.  R.I.P.

MrMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
WB4AIO
WB4AIO
Contributing

Better fidelity means better communication.

« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2011, 09:30:20 PM »

I can hardly believe it. Just a few months ago he was on the air and as feisty as ever.

Dave was one of the first 75 meter AMers I ever heard -- back around 1971, I think -- and one of those who inspired me to get my ticket the next year.

I met him for the first time at Bill, W3DUQ's place in 1975, and saw and worked him many times since. He was funny, kind, caring, and a master at creating both an audio experience and a fun experience whenever you worked him. He also gave generously of his knowledge and time.

I always remember him signing off, in the true 'AM mob' fashion that many have forgotten today: "Rawk, tweet-tweet, bye-bye..."

See you on the other side, Dave.

Kevin, WB4AIO.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2011, 02:25:48 AM »

Dave was a very interesting character and highly intelligent.

He had a wide range of skills and interests.

Always fun to converse with.

Dave and Pam were some of the folks who made a point of checking how I was doing throughout this past year which was rough for me. That's the kind of person Dave was.

I'm glad to have known Dave.

73 OM R.I.P.
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2011, 11:17:37 AM »

I just read this about Dave.  What a pity to lose another great AMer.  I used to get a kick out of just listening to him as well as working him.  My condolences to all his friends and his family.

Herb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2011, 04:09:35 PM »

I'm shocked too.

First thought it wan't Dave, couldn't see the 'ZRF call clearly,...
but then saw 'INR's call as some sort of verification, waded into the thread and suddenly felt very despondent.

Oh, my very best to Pam and all of Dave's family.

...just no words.

Dave just seemed so sympatico to me..   a fellow traveler.  I'll sure miss his mustachio'd gusto and humor.

* toast w ZRF & gang.jpg (62.6 KB, 423x242 - viewed 1194 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
K2PG

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 05:32:43 PM »

Horrible, horrible news. I knew Dave from meeting him in person at Frank's (KB3AHE) party every year after the Timonium Hamfest.

Rest in peace.
Phil K2PG
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 11:52:21 PM »

I guess other people's parents liked Dave too. Some audio from the late 60's with K3ZRF and K3VVG.

* k3vvgk3zrf.mp3 (2188.57 KB - downloaded 522 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »

Here is the Lancaster (Penna.) newspaper obituary that has now been published.

Something pushed me to call his old cellphone number this morning.
Hoping he would answer.

I spoke with Pam and told her as much. We went on from there.

She wants me to tell you she feels all the love and prayers you've been sending her way. She's got a heavy burden to work through, since she and Dave were so invested in one another -- far more so than most couples I have ever known.

http://obits.lancasteronline.com/index.php?p=2692879

David L. Wenger       Dec. 9, 1948 - Apr. 25, 2011

David L. Wenger, a visionary electrical and acoustical engineer, died Monday, April 25, at Hospice of Lancaster County after a brief battle with cancer. He was 62.

Mr. Wenger's company, DLW Audio Consultants of Stevens, PA, supplied leading recording studios, touring acts, television facilities and Olympic stadiums with critically accurate loudspeakers and custom public address system installations. His signature line and near-field studio reference loudspeakers, the Wenger/ALS 1104, are used around the world by recording engineers/producers, by audiophiles, and in mastering labs, post production facilities, flight simulators and even planetariums.

Since 2006, DLW completed several noteworthy renovations for NBC television at Rockefeller Center in New York. Along with his wife and business partner, Pamela S. Wenger, David personally rewired Studio 1A, home of Dateline NBC and The Today Show, Studio 6B, home of Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, Studio 3A/3C, home of MSNBC Live, and Saturday Night Live, the studio used for offsite coverage of the 2008 Summer Olympics.

This was not the first time DLW contributed to the Olympic stage. In 1992, the Wengers delivered more than 1,500 hand-made loudspeakers to BOSE Corporation for use at the Calgary and Albertville Winter Olympics, where they performed flawlessly in temperatures as cold as -20°F. And on July 17, 1976, at Olympic Stadium in Montreal, Canada, it was a custom public address system from Wenger's first small shop in Blue Ball, PA, that entertained an audience that included Queen Elizabeth II of England.

"Disco was a big thing and we were doing club installations in '76 when we got the Olympics," recalls Dave's partner at the time, Tom Lalley of 20th Century Fox Studios. "But Dave was fearless, not afraid of anything, and he was so savvy with acoustics and was really confident in his ability to build something that big and powerful. He was the brains behind it."

Pamela Shirk (nee Enloe) Wenger joined DLW as an electrical technician in 1982 and married Dave in 1986. She is President of the company today.

"Everything about Dave was expressed in his loudspeaker designs," she said. "He had brilliant ears and he would define and redefine a product until it was what he wanted and expected, and he wouldn't settle for anything less. He was ahead of his time, for sure."

Other significant milestones for the company included a 1984 installation of 1104 monitors in a Comanche Attack Helicopter flight simulator for the Boeing Company in Ridley Park, PA, and three planetarium installations in the mid-1980s in Mexico and France for Spitz Space Systems of Chadds Ford, PA.

Born in Lancaster, David Leeds Wenger was the son of Jane L. Wenger, a resident of Denver Nursing Home, Denver, and the late John A. Wenger.

Growing up, Mr. Wenger was profoundly influenced by a family friend who exposed him to the world of amateur (ham) radio operation. An insatiable interest in big signals and clean audio circuitry was born, and at the tender age of fourteen, David obtained an FCC license for station K3ZRF.

Nightly radio chat around the world became his favorite recreational pastime, and he spent 49 years on the air staying connected with many of his closest friends in life.

A graduate of Warwick High School, David earned a bachelor's degree in biology at the University of Miami (FL) in 1974, where he hosted a program at the student radio station. Upon returning to Lititz, he was asked by a neighbor, Roy Clair, co-founder of Clair Brothers Audio, if he could read an oscilloscope. He could, and David was hired to the technical staff of Clair Brothers in Brickerville, where he became a design engineer working on crossover designs within PA systems. He left in 1976 to form DLW Audio Consultants in Blue Ball.

His survivors include his wife of 25 years, Pamela S. Wenger of Stevens; a son, Joshua D. Wenger of Biloxi, MS; a stepson, Jeffrey L. Shirk, husband of Andrea Shirk of Sharpsburg, GA; a sister-in-law, Jill Enloe Papa, wife of Larry Papa of Bend, OR; a niece, Jackie E. Christensen, wife of Brent Christensen of Bend, OR; a nephew, Jere Eshelman of California; two grandchildren, Zachrey L. and Bryan L. Shirk; a grand-niece and a grand-nephew.

A memorial service will be held Saturday, May 7th, at Roseboro Stradling Funeral Home, 533 Walnut Street, Denver, PA at 11:00 AM with Pastor Dennis Trout officiating.

The family requests that memorial contributions be sent to Hospice of Lancaster County, P.O. Box 4125, Lancaster, PA 17604-4125.

Arrangements by Roseboro Stradling Funeral & Cremation Services, Inc., Denver. For additional information or to send a condolence to the family, visit: roseborostradling.com
[/b][/size]

* AYMMFOT.JPG (26.65 KB, 396x614 - viewed 1083 times.)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2011, 11:24:08 AM »

I'd give my eyeteeth to go, but obviously I can't... however my wife, who was enchanted by Pam and Dave's joie de vivre, will go in my stead.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2011, 01:50:11 PM »

Same here Johnny. unfortunately, i have yet another funeral to attend.
This has not been a good week for me. 2 dear friends lost.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2011, 04:10:29 PM »

I guess other people's parents liked Dave too. Some audio from the late 60's with K3ZRF and K3VVG.

Steve,
Great recording!  It was a blast hearing those guys.  It sounded like Dave's voice had not changed yet!   I need to try and contact Tony, WA3CAO who was in the recorded QSO.  We all sure had a blast on the air back then.  Mark, K3VVG (sk) was just how I remember him.  Very laid back sounding like a progressive rock DJ from the 60's.  Back then dead air between words was the typical style. 

Paul,
Thanks for publishing the earlier picture of Dave while out at TPL.  Great shot indeed.  The obit was done in fine style as well. 

I just spoke to Pam on the phone and she is doing as well as can be expected. 

Joe, W3GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Tim WA1HnyLR

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2011, 06:02:42 PM »

About ten days ago I got a call from one of the guys,a close friend of Daves . He had all he could do to tell me about Daves sickness of which I was unaware of.The news hit me like a ton of brick. Dave ,as I saw it ,would be one of the last of our generation to leave the scene. I have known Dave since I was a boot, in the Summer of 1966.I was a piss weak jn-ny kind of beginner on am with a 1x3 boot call, my home brew rig, the "crapbox 40" tied to an ineffectual antenna system. I tried incessantly to break into a qso on 75 on a static laden late evening weekend night beween Bill W3DUQ and Dave K3ZRF. Finally Dave heard me. I was so excited.About a year later I upgraded to a general in Sept of'67.In November of '67 Bill was having his famous "Sign off party" ,as a result with a little altercation with the FeeCCee. Everyone was invited. I found my way down. I met very many interesting people as well as familiar one that I had known from New England who made it down.Later on in the evening I wound up hanging out in Bill's hamshack with Dave,K3ZRF. He exuded an atmosphere of total coolness.  He made me feel very welcome in his presence. From that time on, Dave and I had many good times when I could make it down his way. I am much saddened by the loss of Dave , I grieve for Pam's loss as well.He will be missed terribly. I always looked forward to seeing him at the fall Nearfest. The obit a few posts ago was very well written                   
With due respect,
Tim WA1HnyLR
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2011, 06:32:00 PM »

Was this the party, Tim?

* naaam2.jpg (40.65 KB, 380x274 - viewed 1355 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2011, 09:53:52 PM »

Steve,

I hope Tim, HLR chimes in but I bet that was the one.  That was the NAAAM XMAS card if I remember correctly.  I have the same card around here somewhere. 

I was several years younger than those guys and my parents restricted me from attending Bill's parties!  I was at Bill's once during those days, but Dad was present Smiley

Joe, W3GMS

W1UJR
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2011, 11:53:51 AM »

Very sad thing, my condolences and prayers to Pam.
Unfortunately I was not privileged to have known him personally, but Dave was clearly a very interesting and well respected gentleman. Had no ideal of all of his accomplishments until I read the obit, a deep loss.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »

I'm also sadden to hear of Dave's passing. What an accomplished man! I know I have heard him on the air but not sure if I ever talked with him. In his later years at NBC he must have been very busy and I remember when he was working there with his wife.

What is shocking to me is the fact that he was on this board this month and now he gone.

I'm sure he'll be missed by all who knew and loved him.

RIP

Terry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Bacon, WA3WDR

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2011, 12:07:16 PM »

Oh no, I just saw this.

I met Dave on 75 meters back around 1967, and then met him in person at Bill W3DUQs sign-off party in December 1967.  Yes Steve, that post card picture is from the party, Bill and his friends, hams and non-hams.

I remember Dave talking about his early days at Clair Brothers, where they gave him a task of fixing a high power solid state amplifier that had a parasitic problem, to test his skills when they were hiring him.  Dave fixed it by redesigning it - he said the solution was a single point ground.

I had seen Dave many times at Bill's place, I had been to Dave's home in Lititz in the early 70s, and talked on the air many times over the years.  The last time I saw Dave was at the Gaithersberg hamfest in 1997, I think.

This is terrible, terrible.  I can't believe it.  RIP, Dave.

Truth can be stranger than fiction.  But fiction can be pretty strange, too!
WA3VJB
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »

Here it is Sunday afternoon. This is when Dave and Pam could be found relaxing on the radio with us. Excellent memories.

On the particular afternoon below, Gary, INR checked in and was unusually pissweak.  Jay, WWL, was unusually able to strap him. Bill, DUQ was the moderator, and Dave, ZRF for some unknown reason thought we all were running a game on him ... (Pam can be heard in there too, providing counsel)

* ZRF-a.mp3 (4722.8 KB - downloaded 500 times.)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »

I just found out from a very good friend a little while ago; and my wife Jocelyn and I are still beside ourselves. Our prayers are out to Pam. Dave was a lot more than just a terrific guy, to say the least. I just read his obit posted elsewhere in this thread, and had no idea of his accomplishments. I knew of his interest in hi-fidelity speakers, etc but had no idea that he took it to the level that he did.

He'll be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him, and both my wife Jocelyn and I are still in shock over the news of him passing.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2011, 04:06:41 PM »

I just found out from a very good friend a little while ago; and my wife Jocelyn and I are still beside ourselves. Our prayers are out to Pam. Dave was a lot more than just a terrific guy, to say the least. I just read his obit posted elsewhere in this thread, and had no idea of his accomplishments. I knew of his interest in hi-fidelity speakers, etc but had no idea that he took it to the level that he did.

He'll be missed by all who had the pleasure of knowing him, and both my wife Jocelyn and I are still in shock over the news of him passing.

Hi Joe,
Sorry you did not get the word.  I just assumed you saw it when Gary posted it.  We are going to the service this Saturday at 11AM.  Hopefully a lot of the AM'ers will be present. 

Very sad indeed and I am still dealing with the great loss. 

Joe, W3GMS

WA3VJB
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 05:54:47 AM »

See you there, Joe.

Pam also has booked the Franklin House Tavern for a "Celebration of Dave's Life," the event suitably named because the location is where Dave had partyed-in his 60th birthday.

Cool looking place.
http://franklinhousetavern.com/tavern.html

Festivities begin after the memorial service at the funeral home in Denver, Pa.

Franklin House Tavern
101 Market St./Rt. 897
Schaefferstown, Penna.

* ZRF-bc.jpg (1075.59 KB, 1720x1184 - viewed 1275 times.)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2011, 03:42:44 PM »

Paul,

Glad your making it tomorrow.  We were aware and are planning on attending the event after his service. 

What a great picture!  JTD with short hair!  Never saw that before Smiley

I am hoping that Bill makes it tomorrow.  I sent him an e-mail, but did not receive a response back.

Joe, W3GMS   

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2011, 06:32:06 PM »

Joe,

I just got off the LL with Bill and he said he just isn't up to the task
   for tomorrow, pitty...

I'm going out to the car and program the repeater into the 2 meter CB.
   That should be useful up that way tomorrow on my trip to the memorial
   service and for communications in route to the Pub.   

I will have to follow someone to that location and am looking forward to
   seeing all the AMers at that get together (a wake perhaps? Didn't realize
   Dave had any Irish back ground...)

Whatever, see all you guys tomorrow...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2011, 08:59:56 PM »

For anyone coming tomorrow to the service, my repeater in Parkesburg covers the area pretty well. 

Frequency 146.985 (-) 600 Khz offset
PL = 100 hz

Joe, W3GMS

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015