The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:39:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggesting a very long "Recent Posts" area  (Read 18635 times)
K1DEU
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »

Suggesting a very long "Recent Posts" area. Many users Make this the first area to head to when returning after a short time or a weekend or full week away else where. Currently only 6 new posts are shown. If a user wanted may we possibly bookmark nearly a full page of recent posts to begin with,  with a large link to the normal "HOME" page showing all categories ?

And could # of reads be added to the topic post line ?  Along with the AMFONE.NET  's main small logo's for advertisers.

And for re-refreshing the page  The drudge report makes people stop reading, which is annoying. 

John, K1DEU      
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »

John - see the little icon that looks like a sheet of paper to the left of the "recent posts" list?  Click that and it will give you 10 pages, at 10 posts per page, of the recent posts.

Except for your last point, which I don't understand, the rest isn't possible without possibly re-writing the forum software.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1DEU
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 01:30:56 PM »

The "index.php" page in the root can still be bookmarked by any one wishing to begin where it does now

It could be easily be left alone in the root and a  secure index.htm start page full of "recent posts" could be added for example making users and advertisers happier

re-freshing any web page;; I'm sure you know the manual method by clicking on a radio button in your browser.

It can easily be done at the server software side also, over riding any browser. and move the page vertical center up or down, with a VJZ WIND chime etc.

Since when doesn't MK Portal allow more than 6 "recent post lines ?

Regards  John
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 01:50:28 PM »

And for re-refreshing the page  The drudge report makes people stop reading, which is annoying. 

I don't get what you mean by that; pse explain.  What does the Drudge Report have to do with refreshing a page on this site? Are you sure you don't have some kind of malware that is re-directing your web addresses? Or have I missed something?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1DEU
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 01:56:55 PM »

Don there are many advertised sites that auto refresh your browser so users will read a new add usually located at the top or bottom of a page.  Well so I used to be in charge of people doing these HTM-L and PHP things was very boring and still is.   If the add doesn't change for several days from the user side you may have to wait forever. 
K1DEU
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 02:01:57 PM »

Thanks John, but I prefer subject line, poster and how many hits in that subject post
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »

Since when doesn't MK Portal allow more than 6 "recent post lines ?

Regards  John

It does.  Read my response above, in.re. clicking the little paper icon.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1DEU
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 02:08:19 PM »

Again Thanks John I did read what you added but The format after expanding doesn't turn me on.

Quoting me
Thanks John, but I prefer subject line, poster and how many hits in that subject post not a sample of the poster article

After a user returns they will invariably click on the subject line where someone they know or recognize re-posts
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 02:12:41 PM »

Sorry you're not turned on, John  Grin

K1DEU
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 02:20:03 PM »

Why would an idiot like me have to be turned on for, Do you think I'm vain. Shhhh. Thats some good humor!

I pay attention to what turns on lotsa folks and leave myself out of the pool.

Its simple to do Simon
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 02:33:49 PM »

Don there are many advertised sites that auto refresh your browser so users will read a new add usually located at the top or bottom of a page.  Well so I used to be in charge of people doing these HTM-L and PHP things was very boring and still is.   If the add doesn't change for several days from the user side you may have to wait forever. 

What is an "add"  ?

--- Post No Bills ---
K1DEU
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 02:41:23 PM »

add= advertizement
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 02:53:44 PM »

add= advertizement

No, ad = advertisement.

"add" commonly refers to some mathematical process.

Is  "advertizement" like "advertisement" or is "advertizement" something else altogether ?

--- Post No Bills ---
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 05:14:08 PM »

Suggesting a very long "Recent Posts" area. Many users Make this the first area to head to when returning after a short time or a weekend or full week away else where. Currently only 6 new posts are shown. If a user wanted may we possibly bookmark nearly a full page of recent posts to begin with,  with a large link to the normal "HOME" page showing all categories ?

And could # of reads be added to the topic post line ?  Along with the AMFONE.NET  's main small logo's for advertisers.

And for re-refreshing the page  The drudge report makes people stop reading, which is annoying.  

John, K1DEU      

Why not just go to the top of the site and click on "Show unread posts since last visit"? This is where I start my site visit.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 09:47:31 PM »

YOU TELL-EM PETE !

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 01:01:29 AM »

add= advertizement

No, ad = advertisement.

"add" commonly refers to some mathematical process.

Is  "advertizement" like "advertisement" or is "advertizement" something else altogether ?

ADD = Attention Deficit Disorder. I'll check the spelling later. Lost interest.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015