The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:21:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FUEL $$$ WTF  (Read 115249 times)
WQ9E

« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2011, 02:22:27 PM »

What kind of gas mileage do you get with your CTS, Rodger?  Last trip I took to Delphi (part highway, part windy mountain road) I got about 30 MPG with mine; 3.6L/6 speed manual.  With $9.50/gal gas here I don't drive the Land Rover much  Grin

JN,

You beat me on MPG but I still have you beat on MPD (miles per dollar) Smiley 

I average 25-26 long term on a roughly 60% highway 40% urban driving cycle.  Your manual probably helps and my heavy right foot doesn't.  For some reason in Bloomington/Normal many people treat the left lanes as the slow lanes so maneuvering is necessary.  There are also many "opportunities" in the Spring to pass agricultural traffic on the two lane rural roads.

Long highway driving yields around 28 which is still better than the 20 MPG my diesel pickup gets on long trips-especially now that diesel is more expensive than gasoline.

Rodger WQ9E
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #176 on: April 28, 2011, 02:35:28 PM »

Even with the economy in the tank as it still is, the price of fuel is going sky high, so what can we expect in the unlikely event the economy and employment ever return to what we think of as "normal"? Remember, we saw $4/gallon a few years ago, then the price plummeted with the economic crash. Despite the situation in the middle east, the real driving force behind the present increase is world-wide demand, as China (and India, too) continue to crawl out of the stone age. China is running its heavy construction equipment full blast while rapidly expanding their fleet of trucks to haul all the stuff, and at the same time, more and more Chinese are able to afford personal cars.  N. America and W. Europe will increasingly have to share oil and other natural resources with the rest of the world, particularly East Asia, and this will drive prices only in one direction: up.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
VK7ZL
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2011, 03:28:38 AM »

Petrol was $1.50/Litre here in VK7 (equal to $5.68/ US Gall) over the Easter period.
The last time we had high fuel prices it was because our oil came from the Asian Basin, this time it is because it comes from the Middle East.
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2011, 06:05:38 AM »

Here's a 3 year chart for the nymex front month unleaded wholesale gasoline price.  Underneath this same chart is the S&P 500, you could infer many things, including "but it's different this time".  Undecided
You would have to add your states tax and Federal tax for an aproximate retail price.
here in NY it's about 69 cents for taxes on top of wholesale price.

Symbol = $GASO
http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=$GASO&p=D&yr=3&mn=0&dy=0&id=

Stockcharts won't link the exact chart, but you get the idea....

And here you can find some retail price charts and info from Gasbuddy....

http://www.gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx?time=24

Could be a long hot Summer....

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2011, 08:44:55 AM »

I was thinking about this and ham radio yesterday.  There's a hamfest Sunday about an hour drive from me and I decided to skip it this year and one of the reasons (besides not having any spare cash) is that I'd probably burn around 4 gal. getting there and home and that would be over sixteen bucks just for gas to go spend money I don't have.

Then I thought about all the small ham businesses--there are small mom and pop niche businesses in ham radio that do almost all of their selling by dragging a trailer to hamfests on weekends and setting up to make badges, embroider hats, sell parts, special materials and so on.   I bet many of these go under because it is just going to be too costly to drag the trailer to the fest.  In fact, there are all kinds of craft fairs and hobby fests, not just ham radio, that will probably go under.  Last time it peaked here at $4.25 but dropped back down in a few weeks.  This time, I am starting to think we're going to be in this for a while. 

If you go to a fest and see the tube guy, the battery guy, the coax guy etc. you should probably stock up because you may not see them for much longer.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #180 on: May 20, 2011, 05:04:03 PM »

Gas prices seem to have dropped significantly as of today- as low as $3.59/gal  for 87 octane in Westerly, RI!  Oddly enough, just over the border in CT, 87 octane was still way over $4/gal last night.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #181 on: May 20, 2011, 05:36:14 PM »

Yeah, one of the most expensive stations on my route in Chesterfield and has been accused of gouging was down to 4.09 this afternoon, about a 20 cent drop in the last 4 days.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #182 on: May 21, 2011, 06:47:10 PM »

No drop in price here in Central Verminmont.

Still steadily rising.

Up to $4.03 now.

Propane delivery yesterday was $5.10 /gal.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #183 on: May 21, 2011, 07:40:10 PM »

87 Octane $3.49/gal in Northern Ohio this morning!
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #184 on: May 21, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »

No drop in price here in Central Verminmont.

Still steadily rising.

Up to $4.03 now.

Propane delivery yesterday was $5.10 /gal.
You have to pay your dues. They will increase a little more than go down in about another month.
Most stations near my little city in Western Pa. still $3.99. Near Ohio $4 something. And just a couple in town just dropped to $3.89

Fred KC4MOP
KL7OF

« Reply #185 on: May 21, 2011, 09:13:49 PM »

I just drove the Alcan hiway...$1.44/ litre in BC. and the Yukon..$4.45/us gal in Tok, AK and $4.14 US GAL  in Anchorage...I hear it is over $5 gal in Naknek...Alaskan summer ale is $8.50 for a 36 ounce pitcher....life is tough....
KG6TJU
« Reply #186 on: May 22, 2011, 12:50:12 AM »

Didn't read every thread so this might have been mentioned earlier, but according to CNN (yeah, I know.) gas is going for US equivalent of twelve cents a gallon in Hugo Chavez's Venezuela. I would still rather live here though. Can't afford to drive much, but I would rather live here.   
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015