The AM Forum
April 23, 2024, 12:14:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Irksome things that I've bought that spew RFI  (Read 21784 times)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 09:43:05 AM »

This is an example of what happens when the FCC is not adequately funded.   

I have heard similar stories about uncooperative, even hostile neighbors.  For that reason I figure the best solution is to develop receiving methods that null the noise as much as possible.  But that square wave light dimmer Rob mentioned might be too much to handle. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WV Hoopie
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 10:01:07 AM »

For that reason I figure the best solution is to develop receiving methods that null the noise as much as possible.   

Not going to null this one, source is too close. At times the harmonics are 40DB on the R-390/A's. The AM spots, 7.290 & 7.160, on 40 meters are covered with the RFI. 80 meters at times is a lost cause.

"What goes around, comes around". Here in Orygun, the government and their corrupt cronies have bankrupted the state. OWIN, the statewide emergency radio network is over budget and dead. Read the following link, Governor Kitzhaber had to kill it.
http://www.oregonlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2011/02/gov_john_kitzhabers_budget_fre.html

If fecal matter hits the fan in my neighborhood, my radio station will be silent. The FCC & Congress can shove Part 15 where the sun never shines.

Craig,

Steve - K4HX
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 10:54:30 AM »

Thirty years ago, nearly all homes housed ZERO microprocessors and switching power supplies. Now, nearly every home has several, if not dozens. No amount of funding for the FCC would keep up with this sort of increase.

More stringent EMI standards and better enforcement starting years ago may have helped. But do you really think your neighbor wants to pay more for every appliance in his house just so you can enjoy amateur radio?

Yea, it sucks, but it isn’t the FCC’s fault.

This is an example of what happens when the FCC is not adequately funded.   

I have heard similar stories about uncooperative, even hostile neighbors.  For that reason I figure the best solution is to develop receiving methods that null the noise as much as possible.  But that square wave light dimmer Rob mentioned might be too much to handle. 
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 05:47:53 PM »

I disagree. 

1.  A few bypass caps which are often enough, would not add a great deal to the per-unit mfr cost.

2.  Not every single appliance bothers a ham.  The number of complaints in a given area might be handled by a staff increase of x 5 i.e. what the inspector's office employed at an earlier time.  It is certainly worth a try, provided the funding were there.

n1ps
Contributing

websdr http://sebagolakesdr.us:8901/

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 09:03:42 PM »

Thirty years ago, nearly all homes housed ZERO microprocessors and switching power supplies. Now, nearly every home has several, if not dozens. No amount of funding for the FCC would keep up with this sort of increase.

Yes I agree.  Ferro-resonant power supplies with a noise cancelling center tapped xformer were pretty quiet as far as RFI.  Today almost all consumer electronics use a switch-mode PS and most are transformerless.  If a huge ferrite does not cure the (common-mode) RFI on the power cord, I add an in-line power switch so I can shut off the trash Wink

You pretty much can expect every consumer electrical device to emit loads of trash. I only expect this issue to get worse.  But you can't beat the low price of that new stereo/DVD player  Grin

~ps
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2011, 09:23:33 AM »

Wow. You, you just wiped out the entire world-wide EMI industry in one sentence.  Grin If only it were that easy.

1.  A few bypass caps which are often enough, would not add a great deal to the per-unit mfr cost.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2011, 10:34:33 AM »

Wow. You, you just wiped out the entire world-wide EMI industry in one sentence.  Grin If only it were that easy.

Why don't you simply state what corrective measures you think need to be taken, and why.   that would be productive.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2011, 11:35:03 AM »

Here is a pertinent link:

http://www.thebdr.net/articles/warstories/neighbors/bug.pdf

Another one bites the dust!

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2011, 11:46:16 AM »

I'm suprised no one has mentioned k1man.

klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »

I don't think there are any reasonable corrective measures. The genie has left the bottle, Pandora's box has been opened, there are no more fingers for the dyke, the cat is out of the bag .....

Our only hopes are that power levels drop and clock speeds increase.

I hope I'm wrong.   Cry

Wow. You, you just wiped out the entire world-wide EMI industry in one sentence.  Grin If only it were that easy.

1.  A few bypass caps which are often enough, would not add a great deal to the per-unit mfr cost.

Why don't you simply state what corrective measures you think need to be taken, and why.   that would be productive.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 03:01:35 PM »

From the way back machine.

I guess another type of QRM is balancing your bills against the gadgets you want according to QST back in 1923.

I want one of those MG sets Grin Grin

* hamradio.jpg (231.01 KB, 299x480 - viewed 608 times.)

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 04:26:58 PM »

I don't think there are any reasonable corrective measures. The genie has left the bottle, Pandora's box has been opened, there are no more fingers for the dyke, the cat is out of the bag .....

Our only hopes are that power levels drop and clock speeds increase.

I hope I'm wrong.   Cry

Steve, you forgot to mention that the world comes to an end tomorrow but otherwise you've covered everything.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015