17 Metros Hot Lately - But Where's the AM?

(1/3) > >>

AJ1G:
I have, of necessity, been hanging out a lot lately on 17 in the mobile (the FT100D has PLL crap out issues below 15.000 MHz).  I have really come to appreciate 17 - not very crowded, great propagation of late.  Have been working a lot of long haul QSOs during the evening commute home..JAs and LUs were pounding in tonight about 2200Z.  Had a run of JAs calling me on CW after a CQ de AJ1G/M the other evening. Good props to EU usually every morning, and good into 5 land and the west coast until well after dark.  Band is sometimes open to VK/ZL/KH6 in the very early afternoon.  Tonight I heard a very loud VE5 calling someone apparently to his west at about 0200Z on an otherwise empty band.

Will try to fire up the GRC-19 on 17 AM maybe tomorrow afternoon toward the upper end of the band.  Is there a recognized AM  calling frequency for 17 meters?

K5IIA:
a few am'ers meet up on 18.150 sunday mornings around 11:30 easter time.

Pete, WA2CWA:
Quote from: AJ1G on March 25, 2011, 11:01:36 PM

Will try to fire up the GRC-19 on 17 AM maybe tomorrow afternoon toward the upper end of the band.  Is there a recognized AM  calling frequency for 17 meters?

I've never seen a published band plan chart (there are several floating around) for a 17 meter calling frequency but http://www.amwindow.org/freq.htm has one 17 meter frequency listed.

AJ1G:
While tuning around 17 in the mobile at about 1530Z today, heard a strong carrier on 18.150.   Turned out to be the Tron from HLR Mountain working someone who I could not hear .  Surprised to hear Tim on such a short haul on 17 from CT..maybe he was coming in via the long path?    Tried calling him on slopbucket but apparently not strong enough to break through....

WS4B:
I just received an e-mail from a slop bucket who does not apperciate the fact that I like to run 17 Meter AM in the evening. This is when band activity is sparse and not crowded at all.

I would love a evening time Sked (around 00:00 UTC) from anyone else that has an interest in using this band at that time. Perhaps a roundtable could get started. Noise levels are really low, and with me in Florida I usually have good condx to NE and the upper midwest at that time.

Let's get some AM activity going on 17!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands