The AM Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:18:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: As long as I'm setting the clocks  (Read 36437 times)
WA3VJB
« on: March 13, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »

So I googled for a quick atomic time source and found one from the National Bureau of Standards.

Cute little widget they have, as well.

http://www.time.gov/widget/

<object codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=5,0,0,0"
    style="WIDTH: 177px; HEIGHT: 125px;" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://time.gov/widget/NISTtimewidget.swf">
    <param name="movie" value="http://time.gov/widget/NISTtimewidget.swf">
    <embed src="http://time.gov/widget/NISTtimewidget.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer">
    </embed>
</object>
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 07:23:00 PM »

Cool!

And you can set it for UTC as well!
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 07:26:49 PM »

Its still light out !     From everyone at amfone, three cheers for DST !

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Wink

--- Post No Bills ---
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:34:24 PM »

You can also keep the clock on your PC in sync with an atomic time source. This can be done via GUI or command line depending on what operating system you are using.

--- Post No Bills ---
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 08:42:48 PM »

Wink

Now, my garden will no longer grow right, and the cows are confused about their milking time.  The UV from all that extra daylight will cause the jacket on your coax to deteriorate more quickly, and the paint on cars and houses to fade sooner. That extra hour of daylight our friends in congress are providing us may contribute substantially to global warming.  It certainly generates crappy band conditions on 75 and 160.

But it should help on our electric bill.  DST causes the watt-hour meter to run backwards for part of the day, and as a bonus side effect, reduces the crime rate and the severity of AIDS symptoms. And it improves the MPG of most cars while making the oil company executives happier and more friendly as they cart more of our money to the bank to compensate for the reduction in demand.  And all the happy shoppers who can now go to the mall after work with the sun still shining should bring the depression recession to a timely (no pun intended) end.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KD0HUX

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:47:41 PM »

Wink

Now, my garden will no longer grow right, and the cows are confused about their milking time.  The UV from all that extra daylight will cause the jacket on your coax to deteriorate more quickly, and the paint on cars and houses to fade sooner. That extra hour of daylight our friends in congress are providing us may contribute substantially to global warming.  It certainly generates crappy band conditions on 75 and 160.

But it should help on our electric bill.  DST causes the watt-hour meter to run backwards for part of the day, and as a bonus side effect, reduces the crime rate and the severity of AIDS symptoms. And it improves the MPG of most cars while making the oil company executives happier and more friendly as they cart more of our money to the bank to compensate for the reduction in demand.  And all the happy shoppers who can now go to the mall after work with the sun still shining should bring the depression recession to a timely (no pun intended) end.
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:01:15 PM »

Gee Don, what took you so long?    Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

I figured we get him sooner or later  Cheesy

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:17:36 PM »

Ah yes! ! ! !  One of Don's favorite rants (I mean subjects!)  Grin  Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 06:54:08 AM »

Well, while we're on the subject...............

I've talked with a LOT of people about daylight "savings" time.  The only folks who like it either don't need to work, or are retired.  If you can sleep in every morning until it's good and bright, it doesn't affect you (that could explain why congress did it - none of them get up everly every day!!).

However, if one is like the vast majority of Americans who actually have to get up in the morning and go to a job, DST shortens every night's sleep by one hour until the start of summer.

It *appears* from my rather unscientific poll, that DST - at least DST *this early in the year* - is highly unpopupar.  Can't We The People get this changed to something reasonable (like in April or even May)??

Maybe (probably not, but maybe) the new congress will have just a bit of intelligence in them and change it.  How to go about getting this done is another story.  Any ideas?

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2011, 09:00:22 AM »

Steve,
          Just FWIW, I have to diasgree with you on this one. I dont mind driving to work in the dark in the morning in exchange for that extra hour of daylight in the evening. It gives me the option of getting a little something done outside in the evening after work.

Just my $.02 worth, but you know what they say about opinions.......................

Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2011, 09:18:58 AM »

"The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once!" Albert Einstein

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 09:26:54 AM »

I'm with you Slab. Mornings are worthless most of the time anyway. The extra daylight at the end of the day is far more useful.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 10:35:49 AM »

Steve,
          Just FWIW, I have to diasgree with you on this one. I dont mind driving to work in the dark in the morning in exchange for that extra hour of daylight in the evening. It gives me the option of getting a little something done outside in the evening after work.

Just my $.02 worth, but you know what they say about opinions.......................

Grin  Grin

Maybe it's a New England thing.  The never ending winter seems much worse when the mornings are DARK and there's still snow on the ground.

Just when it was starting to look like spring because the sun is rising earlier, we lose that entire hour and it looks like January again!!

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 10:51:03 AM »

I like the change. Its nice to see daylight after my Saturday afternoon nap.

klc

What? Me worry?
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 10:53:57 AM »

I think everyone should get on UTC.  No DST, no time zones, none of that.  One World, One time system.   Grin Grin Grin

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K3ZS

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »

I don't like DST and I am retired.   I would rather go to bed when its dark and get up when its light.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 10:57:03 AM »

Guess the time and win 1000 Hz

http://www.lownoiserecords.com/wwv_the_tick.html

What? Me worry?
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 11:18:50 AM »

I use a program called about time to keep my computer up to date. It will draw a time hack from any number of observatories and update your clock. I wish that widget was something to set on your desktop.

http://www.arachnoid.com/abouttime/

I always thought people in the UK used Greenwich time until I visited. I guess that notion came from listening to the BBC. They have been using daylight savings time for a long time as well. They call it Summer time and Winter time.

My only complaint with the time change is they (in Washington) keep messing with it (changing the dates). Studies have shown that extra hour of sunlight is a big boost to sales of consumer goods and it's a big corporate favorite.

Mike
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 11:36:30 AM »

I could be wrong, but maybe the real question is: "Are you a morning or night person?"  I can tell from the posts that Bud is probably a night person (like me) and Steve/QIX, K3ZS are morning.   The night people would rather have it dark in the morning with longer light at night.  There are exceptions of course, like when some of us MUST get up early whether we like it or not.

I like DST cuz I'm no longer in such a rush to beat the dark and get things done outside. But wish they would set it ahead and leave it alone. I wouldn't care if it was a three hour change and it stayed dark until 9AM and light until 9PM right now.

Funny part is, like Don, I keep my clocks the same all year. My body is on inter-galactic time... Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 11:51:18 AM »

The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once!" Albert Einstein

I wike that. W2VW gave us a link to a time server that used the UN Navy time standard but it somehow disappeared from my computer. I have been told in the past that these automatic time updates can estimate a very important function on your computer. Here's the deal, if your computer time looses over five minutes a day, your bios battery needs to be replaced. Auto updating of time eliminates this service tool.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »

The only reason for time is so everything doesn't happen at once!" Albert Einstein

I wike that. W2VW gave us a link to a time server that used the UN Navy time standard but it somehow disappeared from my computer. I have been told in the past that these automatic time updates can estimate a very important function on your computer. Here's the deal, if your computer time looses over five minutes a day, your bios battery needs to be replaced. Auto updating of time eliminates this service tool.

I use "dimension4"

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

Some of the digital mode software is extremely sensitive to time differences.

So I have this installed, and it checks and updates the computer's clock every hour.
(You can set it to update whenever you want..)

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 01:12:02 PM »

This will tell where to go if you don't desire some form of daylight saving time:
http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/g.html

The majority of all the clocks in my house are these "atomic clocks". They automatically set themselves to the correct time and date by receiving and decoding the NIST radio signal. I only have to reset my wrist watch and the clocks in the cars. Computers, cable boxes, TV's, all reset the time automatically. Fairly painless adjustment. Even my copiers/printers reset the time automatically.

If you want roughly equal day/night, go live near the equator.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 01:19:33 PM »

dimension4

That's it! It got turned off on my computer but I found it and turned it back on. Thanks

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 02:07:18 PM »

My OS does this w/o any add-on sw.

I use "dimension4"

http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

Some of the digital mode software is extremely sensitive to time differences.

So I have this installed, and it checks and updates the computer's clock every hour.
(You can set it to update whenever you want..)
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015