The AM Forum
April 16, 2024, 07:27:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Earthquake/Tsunami/Nuclear Disaster  (Read 70631 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2011, 06:13:21 AM »

Am I thinking crazy or does this Earthquake thing usually happen in early Spring or fall??
As the Earth is tilting on its axis for the seasonal changes, the stress on these fragile plates increases.
Mother Earth is getting rickety in her old age.

Fred KC4MOP
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2011, 09:08:06 AM »

What's funny is I spent a year station at Mare Island Naval Station near Vallejo, CA. We never experienced an earthquake but they had one back here in PA!  Roll Eyes

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K1DEU
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2011, 09:23:37 AM »

Sadly this will not be normal activity. This will be the end of 13,000 years of pollution of many types. The Planet Earth will survive but we dangerous Humans come last in survival.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2011, 12:13:46 PM »

Earth quakes happen every day in many places. This is not unusual or different. Do not buy into the silly hype on TV.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2011, 12:37:46 PM »

Earth quakes happen every day in many places.

Right you are Steve.
 In fact, this few 100 year period of relatively stable affairs is an anomoly for the earth. Geologic and climatic historys show the earth much more unstable, as a rule.

Sorry John, pollution has nothing to do with it. To think it does shows the arrogance of man, nothing more!  Earth don't even know we're here!
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2011, 12:45:03 PM »

No they don't. It's a conspiracy. The government is causing them through HAARP. When they're not causing hurricanes in the south, they create earthquakes. I read it on the internet just before the Chemtrails and after the NSA Sex Slaves and JFK Was My CIA Controller articles. So it must be true. Shocked

Am I thinking crazy

You know what they say, Fred - if you have to ask.....  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K1DEU
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »

Gee Dudley and I thought women were arrogant, not men.

BTW what TV channel is all the good silly stuff on ?

Did anyone notice Hugh Hefner lasted only 6 minutes on the dance show ? Geritol time.

W4EWH

« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »

Am I thinking crazy or does this Earthquake thing usually happen in early Spring or fall??
As the Earth is tilting on its axis for the seasonal changes, the stress on these fragile plates increases.

(Minor quibble)

IIRC, the Earth's Axis is always "tilted": we have seasons because the Earth revolves around the Sun, and the tilt of our axis with respect to the Sun causes the poles to alternate between being close to the Sun (June) and farther away (December).

I don't think the Earth's Axis changes it's inclination with respect to the ecliptic plane: although there is some minor "wobble", if the Earth's Axis changed inclination that much, I doubt we'd all be here in the first place.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_solstice

FWIW. YMMV.

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »

Id be more inclined to consider the effect of the planets core shifting. According to NASA the N magnetic pole will be in Siberia by 2025 at the current rate of acceleration.

Carl
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2011, 09:01:50 PM »

No they don't. It's a conspiracy. The government is causing them through HAARP. When they're not causing hurricanes in the south, they create earthquakes. I read it on the internet just before the Chemtrails and after the NSA Sex Slaves and JFK Was My CIA Controller articles. So it must be true. Shocked

Hey, isn't Elvis in on the action? And all this has to somehow be related to those bogus Apollo moon missions. IARN is slacking on its mission.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KL7OF

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »

The moon was as close as it will get to the Earth the other night....It has the power to move tons of ocean water with its gravitational pull..........Couldn't it move tectonic plates as well......
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »

Certainly, and it does, rather minutely and constantly affecting the very fluid medium of water, with quite a bit of hysterisis.

You might try living on Io as a better example.

-but the gravitational differential of the moon is but a very minor fraction of Jupiters.
What do you imagine moonbeings are saying about the nasty ol' Earth?

"uh oh, another Earthquake..."

So your saying,
"uh oh, another Moonquake?" Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2011, 12:40:15 AM »

A seismic researcher told CNN Sunday that he warned the owner of the earthquake-damaged Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant two years ago that the facility could be vulnerable to a tsunami.

The owner, Tokyo Electric Power Company, appeared to ignore the warning, said seismologist Yukinobu Okamura.

TEPCO has not responded to Okamura's allegation

Okamura heads Japan's Active Fault & Earthquake Center. He said he told members of a TEPCO safety committee two years ago that data collected from layers of earth show that in the year 869 a massive tsunami devastated where the plant now is. The six-unit Fukushima Daiichi plant is located about 240 kilometers (150 miles) north of Tokyo.

Without adequate safety measures, a repeat of the first millennium disaster at the site of a nuclear power plant could be far worse, Okamura said he told the committee then. He said he raised the issue because no one else did.

"I found that odd so I really wanted to speak out and let people know about it," Okamura said. "No one reacted in any way."

Expert: Japan nuclear plant owner warned of tsunami threat

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W4AAB

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2011, 05:17:31 AM »

Saw on the news just now where earlier today they had a 6.5 earthquake off the northeast coast of Japan. Resulting tsunami was less than 2 feet high.
K1DEU
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2011, 05:40:37 AM »

Where our magnetic poles were is very interesting. Slightly more than 13,000 years ago one of our poles was centered on Greenwich, England.

Time Traveling forward one of our Poles will be located near Ceylon, India. This is the old North pole headed over the Arctic currently.

Our South Pole is currently headed  up South America to a location near San Palo, Brazil.  Its interesting That our NASA cannot function in the Southern Hemisphere. Our National Geographic Society however can and does.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2011, 02:10:33 PM »

Its interesting That our NASA cannot function in the Southern Hemisphere. Our National Geographic Society however can and does.

What is NASA's function in the southern hemisphere? How does NGS "function" any differently from ARRL or IARU?

- - -
K2PG

« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2011, 04:33:25 PM »

About 25 years ago, there was a mild earthquake (about a 2 on the Richter scale) that rattled some chinaware in New Jersey and frightened some people, but was otherwise harmless. The epicenter was in Old Bridge Township (Middlesex County) at Cheesequake State Park. So that one was called the Cheesequake Earthquake.
K1DEU
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2011, 08:45:12 PM »

Don The National Geographic Magazine sometimes has naked pictures of people in the southern hemisphere. NASA has no naked pictures of Aliens from Earth or other Star Systems. Is that IARU dave or glenn's group ?

Phil do you have to discuss cheesecake when I don't have any. I walked right by 3 different sizes at the local Price Rite Supermarket several days ago.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2011, 09:17:15 PM »

Don The National Geographic Magazine sometimes has naked pictures of people in the southern hemisphere.

At least they are not as paranoid as NPT.  I watched a show a few months ago that featured some scenes showing a tribal celebration in a central African village. It included a video of dozens of people of all ages, men, women and children, in some kind of a ritual dance; someone had gone to great pains to blur out all the women's boobs.  Roll Eyes

- - -
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2011, 10:32:37 PM »

Maybe they didn't want dirty old men getting their jollys.

NASA may have 1000s of photos of aliens. We're just too dumb to understand what we're seeing. We've been brainwashed to look for green men with big eyes.

Don The National Geographic Magazine sometimes has naked pictures of people in the southern hemisphere.

At least they are not as paranoid as NPT.  I watched a show a few months ago that featured some scenes showing a tribal celebration in a central African village. It included a video of dozens of people of all ages, men, women and children, in some kind of a ritual dance; someone had gone to great pains to blur out all the women's boobs.  Roll Eyes

* Mr_Spaceman1.mp3 (2369.59 KB - downloaded 344 times.)
K1DEU
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2011, 07:01:09 AM »

The Astronauts know exactly what's going on don't be concerned. NASA Administration is not allowed to share the details with the general public. Thousands world wide accurately predicted the Pacific Tsunami and are predicting the next one and where for any who participate.  73  John, K1DEU

And Don I also happened to see a lot of Religious ? editing on Public TV.  Might it be due to reduced tea funding. At least Public TV still tells the public about the body bag count at the end of the week.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2011, 09:40:58 AM »

Was sitting here yesterday late afternoon finishing up some work on the NEAR-Fest schedule and taking care of some other work online when the house shook with a thud like it had been hit by a truck or a tree had fallen on it. Wandered outside for a walk around the place, nothing. No damage of any kind other than one of the vent grills had popped out of the garage foundation wall. No vehicles embedded in walls, nothing of any kind. Weird.

So I tell the good wife about it when she gets here later saying that it felt like a sonic boom with no boom. We do have a lot of military jet activity here, so it made perfect sense to me. She thinks it might've been an earthquake, but there was no rumble or movement associated with it like I've experienced in quakes before.

She was right, though it was an aftershock I felt and not the actual quake itself. That took place at 3:30AM Monday morning. As Steve pointed out earlier in the thread, they can and do happen daily, all over the place. Even in his state.  Wink

http://www.wral.com/weather/story/9345607/

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2011, 10:46:31 AM »

Just party, the world is supposed to end next year
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2011, 02:01:27 PM »

Just party, the world is supposed to end next year

According to a nut case heard regularly on the "Family Radio" shortwave bible beater in Florida, it's supposed to happen on 21st May of this year.  We have just a little less than two months to go before the sky falls!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldtc89fG8x0

- - -
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2011, 03:03:28 PM »

Two things could end the world at any moment in my opinion:

1...Mandatory digital-only amateur phone. Tongue

2...Pushing the 'launch' button in the prez' "football". Cry

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up